How I Met Your Mother 4.12 Benefits - Episode Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Jennifer1985 posted on Jan 13, 2009 at 10:12AM
What I liked

∙ Barney and his feelings for Robin - It's been such a long time we've seen some of that. I liked the look he gave her at the end of the episode. The moment he said I love you was so cute.
∙ Robin, Ted, Marshall and the deal - It was funny when Marshall walked in on them.

What I didn't like

∙ Reading a magazine - Well, the story didn't really fit into that episode.
∙ Ted and Robin hooking up - I knew this was going to happen. This seemed just forced in order to reintroduce the story with Barney's feelings.

The episode wasn't legendary but an average good one after the break.

How I Met Your Mother 10 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago neeki said…
I really enjoyed this episode!

Liked (i'm not sophisticated enough to be able to bold things lol):
-I agree the Barney/Robin stuff was great..i was literally clutching my heart the whole time. Some really great stuff. And the "I love you" made me "awww"!
-I thought the "reading a magazine" was a pretty sub par subplot too. The end kind of made up for it with Marshall taking on his "fear" and thus inspiring Barney to tell Robin his feelings..maybe that was the reason for having it in the first place?

Didn't like:
-I agree with the Ted/Robin hook up.
-The people from the Hills in the magazine. Ugh. Why???
over a year ago sydtz47 said…
i loved this episoad so so so much and i agree with everything you said
i LOVE barney & robin together and i LOVED the look in the end! and the "ilove you"!!!!
so cute and you can really see that he is totaly in love with her by now!!!
i hope he won't give up!!
he was sad at the end): poor thing<3

and i think the "magazin" thing was out of place too but i think they nedded another story line biside B&R

i really loved this episoad! BARNEY is awesome!!!!!!

sydtz47
over a year ago zuntiz said…
I've been waiting for so long for some more Barney/Robin, and I absolutely loved this :) Barney was awesome.

I also liked the deal between Robin, Ted and Marshall. Like Jennifer said, it was funny when Marshall walked in on them :)
over a year ago marissa said…
heart
Loooooved Barney in this episode. But I agree with you, Jennifer1985, the whole Ted/Robin things did seem forced just to reintroduce how Barney felt. All in all, I think it worked out all right, though.

That magazine thing was kinda weird... For a while I was deffinatly confused about what they were talking about! :P

All in all, I liked the episode. I just wish Robin would open her eyes! lol
over a year ago nphfan said…
big smile
Yes, it did seem set up, but I still thought the episode was fantastic, at least Barney-wise. I've been waiting for the Barney-Robin thing since the beginning of my HIMYM experience - I always knew their connection. One of the first lines I heard Barney utter was directed at Robin - "Holy crap! You are beautiful" (my first episode was "Moving Day.") So this is exciting for me! I'm loving it. I'm just glad they finally reintroduced it into the plot. After a few stinker episodes, then a break, I'm glad they came back with an episode that is... what's the word... LEGENDARY!
over a year ago ari12 said…
smile
Here's some things I liked:

*Robin spelling "weird" and then telling Lily "don't be a Ted" when she corrected her.
*Barney smashing the TVs. Loved that part.
*Barney in "therapy".
*Marshall always being with Ted and Robin when they made an agreement.
*Barney telling Robin that he loves her.
*"Private thing".
*Ted ending the arragement he had with Robin because of Barney.
*"I love... tacos"

What I didn't like was the guest stars of the magazine...
over a year ago Jennifer1985 said…
Thanks for pointing it oot, ari. I totally forgot aboot Private Thing. It's nice to see some call backs.

I agree with you on the guest stars. That was just awsful.
over a year ago pollyloveshouse said…
Awwww I had to wait a whole day to watch the episode, but I'm glad I did. I thought the second half was much better than the first, I thought it took a while to get going.

What I liked
-Barney cleaning the apartment completely, I thought that was really nice as it was a big, bold gesture.
-Barney's "I'm in love with... tacos" and him telling Robin he loved her. I thought that was really sweet and my heart was melting for him. He's never had to deal with this sort of thing before, him being Barney, so I thought the way he's experiencing it all is really sweet.
-I loved Barney joining in the "feelings hour", and Feely the care bear. That bear was so cute, and Barney kept it =D

What I didn't like so much
-The 'reading a magazine'. I found that dull and kinda pointless. I'm sure the writers could have some up with a better link into what was happening in the main of the ep.
-The guest stars on the magazines, they just annoyed me...
-Aaaaaand the obvious. Wasn't keen on the Ted Robin hookup. I loved them together and was heart broken when they broke up, and we clearly know that she's not the mother, which means throwing them back together again is just... annoying. I prefer things to stay done when I get heartbroken over them =P

Overall though, better than the last few episodes, looking forward to next week!
over a year ago ladolcevita said…
zzz
It Was okay... I loved the "I love you" bit, But I watched it in crappy quality so I need to get a new link... can someone send it to me? The Robin/Ted thing was a bit wierd, (lol) but I guess it needed to be put in so we could see a bit of Barney... smashing stuff. sorry if i'm rambling, and hav spelling mistakes, I I really neeed sone sleep
over a year ago germany123 said…
i really like the episode..though i really dont like robin! i loved her but all she ever does is have sex with people in the past couple of episodes :(