How I Met Your Mother 4.05 'Shelter Island' - Episode Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Jennifer1985 posted on Oct 21, 2008 at 10:53AM
I think I just leave the introduction and jump in.

What I liked

• Ted and Stella did not get married! Yay, it finally goes to the right direction. We see that she is not the mother of his children. I’m glad we all can be over Ted and Stella soon.
• Robin putting Ted in his place. I liked that she is the one who tells Ted to not getting married. She tells him exactly what most of us Mother fans were thinking the whole time. At least when I saw the scene I felt like that’s exactly what I would have told him
• Robin in Japan at her new workplace. Well, it wasn’t that funny but sometimes I just like to see a character in a different place than McLaren’s or Ted and Marshall’s apartment.
• Barney dealing with his feelings for Robin. We see a little bit of the old and a little bit of the new Barney.
• Robin seems to feel something for Barney, too. When she comes to his room and wants to stay with him I think she did not only want to distract herself from the awful day she had.
• Barney tricking the gang when he talks on the phone to Robin.
• The flashbacks
• Continuity – Barney’s NGB cap on his desk, Justice Aldrin, telepathy

What I did not like

• The episode was pretty unfunny this time, which makes it rather… meh. The storyline was somewhat okay and convincing but not as hilarious as last week or an average episode.
• Nora – I don’t know but I just do not like her.

How I Met Your Mother 19 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago germany123 said…
It wasnt a funny epi i agree...

what really bugged me was that is was soooooo predictable that stella was talking aboot herself and her ex. all the time i waited for ted to go "wait a minute..this is aboot YOUR ex"

was it just me or did robin say she still isnt over ted 100%!? and then she went to barney!?
:S

anyway..whatever happened to lily and robin as friends!?

oh and... i agree with jen :) and..why was there a monkey in the news program!?
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago inespinto said…
I think it was overall a sad episode, I've never felt sad after an episode of HIMYM but today I did. And it wasn't for the break up between Stella and Ted (which I'm very thrilled about) but Ted getting stood up, Barney and Robin not hooking up, Robin insinuating she still likes Ted (I really don't want them back together) it all put the episode on a sad note.
What I did like
-"Suck it bitch, I win."
-"Your husband used to nail me like three times a day"
-Barney's project to sleep with Robin
-"I don't know about you but Namaste here any longer than I have too"
over a year ago Jennifer1985 said…
Yeah the epi was full of letdowns, I felt that, too.

I thought the same thing as Ger. When Robin talked to Ted I thought she was gonna tell him that she still loves or at least has feelings for him. It kinda felt like that. Maybe she put Ted in his place in a protective and not in an "I still love you" way, but I'm just speculating...
well i am pretty sure she in not in an "OMG ILU LETS GET BACK TOGETHER" place but.....why is she making those kind of hints and then she runs to barney and its all muddled up..and OMG!!

HIMYM is turning into One Tree Hill or...*GASP*
TWILIGHT!!!!! It will be a shipping war: bobin vs tedobin
and then fangirls will continue invading the spot and then...
*sits on floor*
*curls up*
*rocks back and forth*
over a year ago chel1395 said…
I don't know about you but Namaste here any longer than I have too. Marshall is just too adorable. :D

I liked the episode, the only thing I had a problem with is the end where they show flashbacks to Stella talking about Robin and her ex. I thought it was more than obvious that Stella had been referring to her own feelings about her ex the whole time, especially seeing the two of them on the boat together. The flashback thing was just overkill. But that's my personal opinion. Either way, I'm glad the whole Ted/Stella thing is over and we can move on to a whole new area of speculation...
it bugged me so much even as it was happening!!
oh it was soooooooooooo obvious it was like "okay students welcome to psychology 1 where we explain all the really easy-to-spot stuff"
even when she said "i waited for tony to commit" at the table i thought "ts ts ts teddy boy..why on earth would you just skip past that comment"
the whole time i wanted to scream at ted :S
grrrrr

i just hope now that stella is oot of the way (sorry sarah youre great..oooh BTW is it just me or does she say aboot..a little bit!?) we can get back to having our himym back...and i hope its more clear cut in future :/

okaaaay i am watching a second time now and lily (after ted says my best female friend)going: heeeeeeeey!! whooooa! ahhhhh i dont care why fake it!
was actually pretty funny - also lily going "ickety ickety squee squee something" in the flashbacks

generally and again: marshalls hair is awful!also..his clothes and.. he used to be all cute and cuddly and marshmallowish- now he somehow just looks like a slob!!

i just saw thelink ines posted and obviously robin was originally supposed to be wasted..now her weird "oh oh what did ted do this time" makes sense- it really bugged me since it was so unlike robin!
ha! i am sooooo babbling today sooooooooooory aboooooooooooot that but its not just me :)

alan sepinwall writes:It's too bad Sarah Chalke wasn't available for last week's Super-Canadian moment from Robin. Judging by the way Stella said she didn't feel comfortable "aboot" Robin coming to the wedding, I think Stella and Robin could've had quite the Canuck throwdown.
over a year ago Jennifer1985 said…
I loved the best friends discussion and Lily's squeaking, too.

So I'm not the only one who thought Robin sounded kinda drunk... That was funny I would have liked to see some more of it.

As for Marshall he was totally in the right place because he kinda looks like hippie Marshall with that hair : D
over a year ago jighooligan101 said…
does any one have a link to a video of robin playing hockey ive been looking for ages but couldnt find one?
off topic i know sorry
i will look oot for it.. i unsubscribed from the mother channel on yt cause those buggers limit the vids to us viewers only DAMN THEM!
over a year ago inespinto said…
I just thought about something: when they did that fake 'and that's how I met your mother' thing with Stella and the blond kids, does that mean that the show ends when he marries the mother? As oppose to exactly when he meets her?
over a year ago ari12 said…
Ines, I hope so. I really would like to get to know the mother instead of just being like "she's the one. Show's over" you know?

Ok, let's see:
This to me was a sad episode. I was pretty sad to see that Ted got stood up and I must say that I got a little emotional in the end.

Robin looks like she's not 100% over Ted. She still has feelings for him.

I liked the flashbacks of Lily preparing her wedding. Those were funny. Also, the best friends thing (as it was pointed out already).

Barney was so close to have Robin for himself again, but because he couldn't keep it in his pants he didn't (that kind of bugged me).

I loved the "suck it bitch. I win."

Now, I would love to see what the writers have in store for Ted. I guess we will have to wait a while before actually seeing Ted going out with other people, but I can wait. I am looking forward to the Ted/Robin thing right now and where is that headed.
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
My thoughts on Shelter Island
The same as Germany's......... =D
I loved "Suck it bitch, I win" and everything Lily did but it was just far too predictable.
The whole time I was thinking what Robin said and the whole time I was thinking "Teddyboy, open up your marriage infested eyes and realise that Stella+Tony=No Tedella"

I miss season 2 Marshall. Not the way he acted or the things he did, just the hair and the clothes. That was a Marshall that made me think "Oh my, he is a total fox" Season 4 Marshall makes me think "Oh my, he looks like he has been attacked by a fox"

Ok this is making no sense, I will come back in the morning when I am actuallly awake.
over a year ago ari12 said…
"He looks like he has been attacked by a fox" LOL! That was so funny!
over a year ago ClaireBearhimym said…
I sort of liked this episode.. I liked how Stella and Ted don't get married especially.

I think it was supposed to be a sad episode, like 'Nothing Good Ever Happens After 2 am'.

I don't really have that much to rant on, seeing as everyone else has already ranted on the same things I dislike, I don't want to be redundant.

Also, Does anybody know the name of the song that played while they were in the car and the boat on the way up to Shelter Island? I like it. . .;
over a year ago ladolcevita said…
I LOVED it. Not because it was really funny, but because he didn't marry stella! and i liked the stella finishing everyone's drinks, and the "awww... Ted, in high school, you were her wedding, weren't you?" jokes as well as the possibilities that Robin and Stella were thinking up if robin came to ted's wedding.
"Waiting For An Invitation" by Benji Hughes- this one?
link
over a year ago ClaireBearhimym said…
No, Not that one, Ger. The one that plays as Lily, Marshall, and Barney are in the car and the boat and when Lucy, Tony, And Ted are on the car/boat. It says 'Oh' a bunch of times or something like that. >_>;
over a year ago ladolcevita said…
Lol, Sauly