How I Met Your Mother 4.04 'Intervention' - Episode Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Jennifer1985 posted on Oct 14, 2008 at 08:18AM
Finally HIMYM got its old strength back! This is my impression after having watched Intervention for the first time.

Here are some of my likes and dislikes:

What I liked
• (Old) Barney – he was as hilarious as before those two crappy epis from the last weeks. Finally some good old magic tricks, he was 83 years old, and it’s interesting that Barney sees a shrink. Maybe some more of that in the future?
• Lily’s British accent
• Robin playing Icehockey and getting things wrong like reading the wrong intervention letter to Ted
• Well, well, at least they’ve tried… The gang preventing Ted from marrying Stella. I liked it because I’m not fond of the Stella/Ted relationship/marriage thingy.
• Seeing that they’ll be happily all together in 2009… and no Stella (c’mon guys if she was Ted’s wife she would’ve been with the gang, too)

What I did not like
• Ted might end up marrying Stella anyway.

Though everybody’s going their way eventually, I think the episode was quite good. It was funny, they had continuance in it.

What do you guys think?
last edited on Oct 14, 2008 at 10:46AM

How I Met Your Mother 23 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago ladolcevita said…
I actually havn't seen Intervention, but I hate Ted and Stella together
over a year ago Jennifer1985 said…
Oops, I forgot one more thing on my dislikes-list:
• Robin's oofit. WTF?? She always had such a good taste in fashion... *head shaking*
over a year ago inespinto said…
I really liked it too! It was like the old ones, Barney pickup lines, magic tricks, flashbacks... I loved it!
over a year ago germany123 said…
well it was definitely better than the last two...
nothing laugh oot loud funny though..i might have to watch it again

i have to say i thought lilys accent was terrible
and that really bad "youre gonna pae for it" pun from marshall?? :S

barney was...okay i guess- but somehow he needs his old sparkle back! He just tries so hard atm..but there is little of his usual sophistication :S the whole back to the future thing was kinda funny...

i think what bugs me the most is how they keep dragging the stella thing...we thought in the first epi ted would ditch her, then in i heart nj- this epi too.its like: c'mooon already!!
ted keeps getting doubts, the gang isnt convinced- bring it home already!

i liked the intervention idea though..i just wish they had made some reference to it earlier..

last edited over a year ago
After rewatching the epi I noticed a few things, which might be relevant for the future:

• Ted has no ring on his finger at the bar in 2009 - this proves my No Stella theory.
• The look Robin and Barney share before Wendy takes the photo.
• Lily's the only one who doesn't drink from the 50 year old Scotch. Does this mean she is pregnant around the end of season 4/the beginning of season 5?
well sherlock i think we can all agree :P

nice catch on lily not drinking i missed that one..but i think its pretty certain that stella and ted wont last- and barney and robin will happen. i just think its all too much change at the same time...though they wont give up the apartment thats a relief!!
I was just about to say that about Lily and I also noticed that part with Robin and Barney so if both these things happen... YAYYYYY!
Also Robin has a ring on her finger. It doesn't necessarily means it's a wedding ring but Barney doesn't have one so it might be an engagement ring.
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
What I liked
I liked that I amen't the only one who was sad enough to watch that scene over again and check for rings and who could be pregnant.

What I like dabout the show
I actually thought Ted was alot funnier in this episode. I'm not normally a huge Ted lover but I love pretentious Ted. I sooo want to say Encyclopædia =D Also Robin with douche
I also liked him kicking the people out of their booth =D

What I didn't like
This will seem really sad but Claudia doesn't work as a brunette =D
I wasn't such a huge fan of Marshall's intervention. Barney's made sense and Lily's accent there was a reason for, Marshall's & Robin's just seemed random and....reasonless.

Funny lines
She's French. That's like playing Tennis with the net down.

Sidebar
I'm thinking Lily not drinking was posssibly a clue for us geeks but also if she is pregnant then it must still be a secret, otherwise the others wouldn't have poured her any scotch to start with..... I love that I am surrounded by fellow Motherheads =D
well she could be pregnant..or breastfeeding- but they were wearing summer clothes..so i am guessing pregnant is more likely.
i agree on the marshall intervention..and robins totally lame poem.
but youre a douche and thats not douché was just..dare i say..classic?!!

and OMG sualey ILU for pointing oot claudias hair!
i was too embarrassed to cause i thought it was just the hairdresser in me going "WTF!? get some bleach woman..thats not a good look..no wonder your husband started drinking :P"
About Marshall and Robin's intervention they were senseless but I think that's the point cause they were always doing interventions! Whenever there's an episode with flash forwards I always love to check for those things aaaaaand now I really love to have someone to share my insanities with!

I also adoreeeee pretentious Ted, if I talked English in my every day life I would totally say Encyclopædia! And Douché!
over a year ago ari12 said…
This probably is going to be long. Ok, let's see:

"You're the Cindy, the one who can change everything". Barney as an old man... in a back to the future thing was great and queueing (is that how you say it?)Robin so she can slap Ted.

The flashbacks of Ted and Barney ruining the apartment were really funny. Okay, I want to say something here (this is the Language student in me speaking): in English the phonetic symbol /æ/ is not pronounced like Ted said it, it's actually pronounced like the "a" in the word "bad". But I have to be honest, I didn't pay attention to everything that was said in that moment and maybe I just said this for nothing, let me know.

The gang doing interventions for every single thing was funny for some (I love Barney's magic tricks), but kinda weird for others, as Marshall's and Robin's.

Reading the letters for Ted's intervention was funny. Barney carried his letter everywhere and doing a magic trick with it, Lily reading a letter that was supposed to be for a parent and Robin not doing a letter because she's an ex and might sound catty.

Something that I didn't like so much was that they kept changing their mind about whether or not they should move.

Barney proved that he could pick up 20-year-old chicks as an old man was hilarious.

Ted kicking out the couple that were sitting in their booth was so funny! Poor girl.

I did notice that Lily didn't drink her Scotch and I know that Ted won't marry Stella (even though I love them together).

Overall it was an amazing episode, I really liked it, to me it's the best one so far in season 4.

So, I think that's it.
over a year ago ClaireBearhimym said…
I really liked this episode too. A couple weeks back when 'How I Met Your Mother' was going to have it's premiere I was SUPER excited, but then afterward I was like 'Well.. That was a little bit of a let down..'. But, this episode was worth the excitement.

Another thing you could've noticed at the end was though, (I may have to re-watch it to be accurate) but, I think as they were about to take the picture, Robin grabs Barney's arm, which also gives you hints about their up and coming hopeful relationship.

SPOILER ALERT!:
I was watching an interview with Cobie Smulders about her role as Robin which was from a few weeks ago and I had already found out that she was going to Japan. BUT, it also said that she comes back (What I think is that she's probably going to be gone for an episode or 2, like Lily did when she went to San Francisco). But, when she comes back, she has no where to live so she moves in with Ted, which tells us that he and Stella split by then (THANK GOD!).

Interview: link

What I Liked:
• I loved 'Super Canadian'!
• When Barney said 'Let it snow? I love that old little diddy.' Then started to dance.
• All the different interventions.

That's all I have to say for now.. . .;
You're right, Claire. Robin does grab Barney's arm at the end, I noticed that, too. I think after Stella and Ted got married or whatever we will see some BRo action on the show ; )
I was just thinking, even if Lily is pregnant the gang could've poured the drink anyway just so she would toast with them
okay i managed to skip that up there but pleeeeeeeaaase easy on the spoilers..i am completely promo and spoiler free this season- it would be a shame if i had to unsubscribe from the spot..

should we make a spoiler forum?? where you can speculate aboot future storylines??
over a year ago ladolcevita said…
I loved the "too many interventions" Intervention, and I saw the Lily only smelling the scotch as well.
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
Hey Ger, I uploaded some pics of the episode Intervention, the future part but just so you know, there is some major spoilers so if you want to look at my pics then just click on them on the main page, other wise you will see the others...did that make sense?

I added 8 so that the spoiler pics aren't on the front page =)

Hey Jen-which particular outfit?
Ger-I had to, my first thought was what on earth? You should be blonde woman, leave the brunette to Cobie & Alyson!
So we're doing a spoiler Intervention... : P

I mean the yellow blouse with the red vest. She looked like a clown in this...
oh my sweet sweethearts i love all of you to bits..lol at spoiler intervention and spank you for all your spoiler warnings...

*mwa*
*HIMYM spot group hug*
over a year ago CiaoBella said…
Agreed. This was finally a good episode since the start of the season! LOVED Barney's magic tricks. I really hope they stop making him so sappy, really. I missed him loads!
over a year ago campluv98 said…
i like[d] ur review:)& i liked ur "Things I Liked"Column:D
over a year ago nphno1fan said…
I know wasn't this just an amazing episode?..I loved the Barney and Robin moment at the end!..Does this mean romance? (I hope so)

Also Lilly's english accent was crap. I am english, and trust me she can NOT do an accent, but eh..you do what you can!