How I Met Your Mother HIMYM Germany

Jennifer1985 posted on Sep 12, 2008 at 02:30PM
Tomorrow will be the big day here in Germany : D It's less than 24 hours until HIMYM premieres. So I consider this place to be the ultimate forum for discussing the German version of the show and anything else having to do with it.

For starters, here a German review on How I Met Your Mother:

link

How I Met Your Mother 22 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago germany123 said…
okay i just watched it :D
not as bad as i thought....the translation had its moments :(
(ein bier zwitschern? wtf?)
will back later with some more :)
over a year ago Jennifer1985 said…
Aw... wait for it... ful! That's what I thought first. All the voices were a bad choice. Lily's voice doesn't fit at all whereas I could get used to the other ones.
I totally missed Barney's passion. His voice is not as emotional as Neil's original voice. That's what I have to complain aboot.

The translation was... well I can live with it.
totally agreed!
there were some really weird ones:
bier zwitschern
hühner for chicks

and "im anzug" for suit up??
hmmmm thats not likely to become a catchphrase!

THE VOICES are aaaaaawful! all of them...the narrator seemed worst, lily sounds awful...barney sounds terrible- and yep like you said they have no depth.
i esp noticed when ted was talking to robin on the phone...in the end before he closes the phone to sound all "casual" his voice fades..and in german it was all one volume and style :S

gotta cook, be back later

last edited over a year ago
I also didn't like how they translated You chickened out like a little bitch: Du hast dich davor gedrückt wie ein Weichei. They just don't diversify the vocabulary and Weichei doesn't even fit!

Im Anzug is not really a catchphrase, I agree.
Kennen Sie Ted? is way too formal for this show, by the way. Also no depth and pep in it. If it was based on the original and like Keeennst du Ted? that could have been a great catchphrase.
I'm sure legendary will also be pretty lame.

As for the voices, the boys sound like high school kids which kinda remind me of the American Pie movies.

Did you laugh? Honestly I laughed once or twice per episode. It wasn't really that funny...
totally agree on the "Sie" that really bugged me, too.

i think the only thing i liked was "schlumpfpimmel"
actually. i like it more than smurfPENIS even..just cause pimmel is such a funny word imo.

i dont understand why they "read" their lines instead of "acting them oot".

some jokes were just ignored..i dont remember right now..but some where i thought...awwww- dont ignore that!

another thing is the time slot...a show that involves so much beer,party etc needs to be on at a later time

Schlumpf Pimmel : D I loved that one, too! It's definitely funnier than smurf penis.

You probably mean de... wait for it... nied. Barney said Lass mich raten: versagt. How are they gonna do it with legendary then?

They also mistranslated the Pop-Tart scene. In German Lily says it was a sandwich and Marshall says she can have it. Well I think we have no Pop-Tarts in Germany, do we? But they should've translated Marshall's part correctly at least...

It's not just the time slot that bugs me. There's not even been an ad for HIMYM so nobody can't know aboot the show, just the ones who watch Pro7 every Saturday anyways. I have found an article on this: link
oh yes...i said that oot loud as it was happening! she could have said Waffel or i dunno any snack that comes with a wrapper..or something...cause with a sandwich its just gross!!

thats a good review..i really have no idea why they dont put it in a decent time slot..everyone old enough and clever enough for the show is still drunk/hungover/in bed at 2.00 pm on a saturday

hmmmm yes the de..wait for it.. nied was awful :S
you know they could even do the lactose intolerant one..but they wont..they will just ignore it..hmmpf.
last edited over a year ago
Uuuh look at the ratings: link

Doesn't sound good...
:O
thats not good...BUT are we surprised? non

those idiots- dont know a gem when they see one!!

its sooo frustrating..shitty voices, lame translation well
we are lucky we understand the original :D
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
Obviously I dont understand the translations but do you think if they had transalted everything the way you thought it should be it would still be as bad? Because I think I would love it a lot less even if there was different actors because they are all so perfect for their parts.
definitely..i think the voices are worse than the translation...
link
Well you can't translate everything exactly because so many jokes just don't work in German. Especially the one with the Pop-Tart obviously. There are many more, let's say the lactose intolerance joke in legendary doesn't work either.

Ger's right. It's not the translation, it's the lack of emotion the actors convey (it's hard to believe some of them are actors, Christian Tramitz is Future Ted's voice). Mostly it makes me sad that Barney's passion got lost : (
yes but that could at least become a play on legendär/ der (as in the article)

which is just as absurd as lactose intolerance..

Yeah that's true...
uhm..why on earth did they put in that really silly music when they cut scenes? make sure everyone gets its a sitcom!?
what was the lactose intolerant sentence something aboot mädels!? it was so fast i didnt get it
I didn't understand the sentence either but I will listen to that once again.

I'll be back with more later.
i wasnt able to finish the epi cause i had to run...
did you record it??
Yes I did. I won't keep it for long though. Just to see what they messed up.

Okay, now here is what I heard: Es wird legen... warte... Heute werden die Mädels nur dich wollen ...där

What I thought they totally messed up this time is the routine gag. It didn't make sense at all with the monotony and then again routine. Well, as it said in the review the laugh track is inappropriate in some scenes. They could have managed better though : ( ...

Inflationär was the best word of all : D

What about Marshall's singing? I think it was pretty bad.
i know..he wasnt even singing!? wtf!?

^^that sentence makes no sense at all..

another thing that got me thinking was the music- isnt there more music in the episodes!? like good music!?
and that weird music. its not even music more like sounds- between the scenes- thats just ALL WRONG!!!!!
it sounds like something you would use in a slapstick comedy not HIMYM..it just doesnt ahve the right feel to it AT ALL!!
Yeah the music! I thought that hasn't been there before... or I just didn't notice it in the original episodes. That's just weird. Why do they add it anyways and not keep it as it is?!
its NOT in the original- it doesnt even fit the mood of the show!!!