Fabulous! Don\'t forget to share with your friends on Twitter and Facebook.
It’s derived from an Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic depicting a marriage ritual between two women.
It’s derived from the name of the Greek island of Lesbos, home to the Greek poetess Sappho.
It’s derived from the Greek word for “Lilith” from Genesis, Adam’s first wife in the Garden on Eden.
It’s a Roman word meaning “A union of women.”
2. Which animal has historically served as a symbol for the lesbian movement?
3. The Hays Code, which was in operation from 1930 until 1967, prohibited what?
The fear and persecution of gay people in the United States in the 1950s.
The takedown of a well-known feminist lesbian organization which led to increased secrecy among remaining groups.
The U.S. government banning the use of the lavender Rhino as a symbol for lesbian organizations.
The precautions pregnant women took in the ’50s to ensure that their children wouldn’t be born gay.
6. True or False: Don\'t Ask Don\'t Tell was repealed in 2011.
Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell was repealed in 2011, officially allowing gay men and women to serve openly in the U.S. military. Read more about it here.
7. Who published the first volume of openly lesbian love poetry in the United States, titled
Elsa Gidlow was a poet and published the first volume of openly lesbian love poetry in the United States in 1923. Find out more about her and her work here.
8. What was the first national lesbian political and social organization in the United States?
Daughters of Bilitis (DOB), founded in San Francisco in 1955.
9. What were lesbians sometimes required to wear in Nazi concentration camps during WWII?
“…there is evidence to indicate that the black triangle was used to designate prisoners with anti-social behavior. Considering that the Nazi expectation of womanhood was strongly rooted in patriarchy (women were required to center their lives on mothering, housework, and commitments to their church), black triangle prisoners may have included lesbians, prostitutes, women who refused to bear children, and women with other “anti-social” traits.” Read more about the black triangle here.
10. Which American lesbian feminist played a significant role in building and sustaining black feminism in the United States?
“In 1974 Smith co-founded the Combahee River Collective, an early and influential Black feminist group. Her leadership made the group a conscience for different movements by calling attention to the ways racism, classism, homophobia, and sexism intersect.” Find out more about her here.
11. Which event marked the birth of the modern gay and lesbian civil rights movement?
The riot protesting President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s executive order barring gay men and lesbians from all federal jobs
Read more about these historic riots here.
12. Which Caribbean-American lesbian writer, poet, and activist helped pave the way for more inclusive feminism in the 1960s?
“[She] dedicated both her life and her creative talent to confronting and addressing the injustices of racism, sexism, and homophobia.” Find out more about her here.
13. True or False: In 1963, the American Psychiatric Association decided that homosexuality should no longer be classified as a mental disorder.
14. What has historically been a symbol of strength and unity for the lesbian community?
The labrys (a double-edged hatchet or axe). Demeter, the Goddess of Earth, used a labrys as her scepter.
Find out more about this symbol here.
The Daughters Of Lilith (now known as LGBT United Books)
The Lavender Brigade (now known as The Rainbow Collective)
The Amazon Bookstore Cooperative (now known as True Colors Bookstore)
The Sappho Scrolls (now known as The Sappho Collective)
The Amazon Bookstore Cooperative (now known as True Colors Bookstore) opened in Minneapolis in 1970.
16. Who was the first openly lesbian actress to play an openly lesbian character on television?
Her character Ellen Morgan famously came out in “The Puppy Episode” of
Ellen in Season 4. Despite critical acclaim for the episode, the show faced criticism for being “too gay” and was cancelled after Season 5. Find out more here.
17. Who was the world\'s first openly lesbian head of government?
Johanna Sigurdardottir, Iceland’s first female Prime Minister (2009).
18. Who became first openly lesbian or gay senator in American history?
Tammy Baldwin from Wisconsin, elected in 2012.
19. Which state became the first to pass a bill requiring public schools to teach the historical accomplishments of gay men and women?
The bill required California public schools to teach the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians, and passed the state Legislature in 2011, a first for the nation. Read more about it here.
20. Who argued at the Supreme Court for her right to her partner\'s estate without estate tax, effectively helping to overturn DOMA?
“The case of United States v Windsor is arguably the most influential legal precedent in the struggle for LGBT marriage equality. In its landmark 2013 ruling in Windsor, the Supreme Court struck down Section 3 of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) which by its terms had excluded gay couples from all the benefits and protections of marriage under federal law.” Read more about her and this historic case here.
21. When did same-sex marriage become legal nationwide in the U.S.?
On June 26, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of allowing same-sex marriage nationwide in the U.S.
Read more about this decision and the work that’s still left to be done here.
This Muslim Woman Says She Didn\'t Attack A Sunbather...
Oops! It looks like you\'ve already used that reaction on this post.
I know, right? Will your friends agree?
Which “Wet Hot American Summer” Camp Counselor Are You? ×
What Job Should You Pursue Based On These Three Questions? ×
how well do you know lesbian history, lesbian, lesbian history week, lgbt, lesbianhistoryweek, quiz
Don\'t forget to share! Want to add another one? Go for it!
Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.
Possible Wing Part From Missing MH370 Flight May Be Confirmed This Week
The Twilight Zone: How The GOP Candidates Left Out Of The Big Debate Are Prepping For Theirs
Netflix Announces “Unlimited” Maternity And Paternity Leave For The First Year
Pregnant New York Woman Loses Unborn Baby In Second Mass Shooting In Days
Second American Doctor Accused Of Poaching African Lion Denies It Was Illegal
Trump, Who Says Not Insulting Politicians Was Smart Business, Insulted Politicians All The Time
University Of Oregon Settles With Student Allegedly Gang-Raped By Three Basketball Players
New York Mayor: Sources Of Deadly Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak Cleared
People Stuck In Traffic For Three Hours Turned The New Jersey Turnpike Into A Concrete Beach
There Is Going To Be A Nicki Minaj Video Game
Are you sure you want to remove this item? You can\\'t restore it with "Cancel" button!
Upload an Image Crop Image Are These Thumbnails Okay? ×
Choose a new image Save Save Thumbnails Preview Thumbnails
Oops! We had a problem sending your message. Please try again later.
Great! You\'ll get your first email soon.