Harry Potter Reflections on "Order of the Phoenix" *movie spoilers*

cressida posted on Jul 11, 2007 at 11:42AM
Well, I should begin with the good bit:

-The Kiss was HOT!
-DA Meetings were striking.
-The Battle Scene was AMAZING.
-Sirius appearing in the flames - WAY better than in GoF.
-Great casting of Luna.
-I loved how the Gryffindores were listening to teenage music in the common room. Subtle, but very effective.

Actually, all of the visuals of the movie were fantastic. This seemed to be the speciality of Davis Yates. Unfortunately, my praise seems to end there.

I had BIG issues with:

-The opening scene. Harry pulling his wand out in front of Dudley's friends, Dudley actually bullying Harry....and the dementors were far more scary in PoA.

-The general fact that this movie would be incomprehensiable to a non-Harry Potter reader. While this doesn't affect fans of this spot, David Yates didn't feel the need to explain SOOO many of the subtleties (and not even the subtleties) of the plot: who Tonks was, the naming process of the DA, etc.

-Cho Chang being the informant (!!!!!!!) Even if it was prompted by Veritaserum, it changes the entire dynamic of why Harry and Cho don't work out.

-The Costumes. I think I counted at least 10 different times characters wore horizontal stripes, and many of them were at the same time. Ron and Hermione were matching at least twice, forcing me to think of those young Korean couples who purposefully match their pants and shirts.

-The non-subtle 'symbolic' climbing of the stairs while Umbridge and McGonagall fought. Once Umbridge struck a point and McGonagall went a step down, I just rolled my eyes.

-Fred & George's exit was rather superficial and lackluster. Eh. Where was Peeves?

-Given how brilliant the fighting and Battle Scene was, Sirius's death was rather silly (the way he fell back and shriveled a tad before being taken away).

I'm going to remember of so many more in just a few minutes but I am still so riled that I just need to calm down and organize my thoughts. I'm sure other people loved it and thought it the best movie of the sequence but at most OoP is second-place on my list.

What do you think?
last edited on Jul 11, 2007 at 11:49PM

Harry Potter 39 replies

Click here to write a response...
You've gone too far. Reloading last forum page...