Fanpop Seeds for soapboxes

harold posted on Jan 21, 2008 at 03:37PM
In link, link made a great suggestion: a list of soapbox ideas for articles that we don't see much on Fanpop. Since I already have dozens of soapbox drafts in progress, I figured I'd start the list. Please feel encouraged to both write a soapbox article on any of these topics, or to add your own ideas for articles you'd like to see to the list! As always, soapbox articles should be something you yourself have written, not copied from someone else.

Articles I'd like to see:
* an article describing your favorite film sequence and why it is your favorite in the link, link or the link spots
* a review you write of a film you've just seen (same spots)
* a review of a book you've just read in the link, link or the link spots
* instructions on how to do something you excel at doing in a spot related to that topic (changing a tire, filing a patent, plucking a chicken, et cetera...)
* a pro or con argument in the link spot
* original descriptions/biographies of a spot's topic that isn't cribbed from Wikipedia: "What is <spot topic>?"
* anecdotes from your childhood not involving TV shows or movies in the link spot.
* interviews you conduct with a Fanpop user you particularly admire in the link spot
* recommendations on how to improve user interactions in the link spot

Fanpop 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago germany123 said…
plucking a chicken..that made me laugh. i like this list- ive only written one soapbox ( its hard in another language!) and didnt even know what the term meant until i looked it up...
over a year ago goalstopper said…
nice, How about if you are fan of a sci-fi shows like lost or heroes. You can state your thoreys on what the island is on lost? or what really is the virus on heroes?
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Show me the money -
over a year ago harold said…
It's either that, or we keep repeating ourselves with saying the same thing over and over, Lori. Of course, we could also post no soapboxes...but what's the chance of that, whether we're paid to write or not?
over a year ago DrDevience said…
I predict that Fanpop will reach a point in the near future when they can set up some kind of point system towards earning gift cards or something (for those 18 and over, of course)

That's when I'll start giving them real articles ;)
Hmm. I don't think that the articles are that much of a draw to the site, actually, so that seems unlikely to me. The articles tend to be read by long-time registered users, at least it seems that way, judging by the comments. The things that drive traffic to the site seem more likely to be images and videos (and picks get people to register).

So if you're waiting for remuneration for your writing, I think you'll be waiting a long time.
So I'm a little surprised that no one else has come forward with ideas for soapbox articles they'd like to see. I've been away for most of a week, but here's another idea:

* an explanation of how TV is run in your country (who controls the broadcasts, who produces the shows, how you can get a TV). I say this because, to those of us in the US, we have a very particular way that TV programs are created (you've seen a small part of this with the WGA strike), and other ways of doing it seem completely alien to us. The BBC, for instance, makes no sense to me, and I'd love someone to explain it in detail. But that leads me to believe that there are plenty of different models for how TV is operated around the world.