Lord of the Rings Your love for LOTR....

Mallory101 posted on Feb 15, 2009 at 09:50PM
LOTR is loved by tons of people. Well...How did you learn about Lord of the Rings? Was there anything that caught your eye or jumped out at you,If so what was it? How old were you when you heard about LOTR? Was there anything that scared you in the movies/books....

Lord of the Rings 15 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Mallory101 said…
smile
Well I was watching Tv and these movies cam on and my Grandfather told me what they were,so then i asked if he owned them...and he did so then i watched all of the movies. Legolas caught my eye because at the time i was on an Orlando Bloom Craze...and the Ring Wraiths!

Gosh,i think i was about 10 when i watched the movies.

Orks! Orks scare my so much! It's just their faces and their attitude...
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago spikes_girl said…
smile
gosh, i was like 6 when i watched fellowship of the ring! i must've been very brave...lol i don't even remember...i think like my mom and dad were watching and i asked if i could watch and they said sure...and i loved it! :)

aragorn. aragorn VEEEEEEERY sexy.

ring wraiths! tall creepy guys with no faces and black cloaks with a keen sense of smell with black horses with red eyes and then those big flyer things with that screeching noise...who CAN'T be scared of them??
over a year ago Blossom71 said…
heart
I was in school when I was challenged to read the books.I had 6 months to read from the hobbit to the return of the king.I read them in a little less then 3 months.they are a hard read.when I hard about the movies they were a must own.I have the extended cut.they have alot more meat to them,long but good.great really!!!!!the lidless eye wreathed in flame scary.ring wraiths ewww.orks urika.death on your heels all the way.weres the fun in that?
over a year ago Mallory101 said…
laugh
Orks and Uruk-hai scare the crap out of me...ring wraiths are cool to me,i was a ring wraith for some weird halloween party one year...people really had no clue what i was...lol

But LOTR was like the best movie(s) i ever have seen!
over a year ago becca85 said…
Believe it or not, a friend of mine dragged me to the theater to see the first movie when it came out. I say dragged, because I didn't want to get all caught up in the fad and was dead set against it. I've been hooked since!
over a year ago Snugglebum said…
i initially thought LOTR was going to be quite BORING actually, i was more interested in seeing the first harry potter movie(typical twelve year old)...actually, but my dad(who, incedentally hates LOTR now) insisted on watching it when it came out on television for the first time, and i became preoccupied with seeing the outcome of Frodo, who i thought most like harry at the time. It is now my favorite series.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Elizabeth0 said…
I was in 3. grade when I read the books, and I saw the movie in 2005 (Fellowship of the Ring) on dvd. I really loved the books and I was exited when I realized that there is the movie.
I need to thank to my friend who told me for movies, and of course PJ and JRR for such a great books and movies. :)
over a year ago Queen_Lu said…
My dad was watching when I was six, and he wanted to show me Gollum (heaven knows why) - and three or four years later I actually read the books (influenced by my dad, again. He loves the series)
:D
over a year ago i_luv_angst said…
My dad gave me the books when I was 9 or 10, and I read them all in a month....I've never read anything that wasn't fantasy since then!!! After that, I watched the movies with my dad and my sister and fell in love with them too!! Now I watch them at least once a month....good lord I haven't seen any of them for a long time, now that I think of it!!!! Anyways, I have to restrain myself from reading the books more than once a year....actually, it's getting to be that time again!! I should go check them out from my library soon....
Now I'm so completely obsessed that I really can't imagine life without LotR....I have a LotR board game, LotR piano music, LotR soundtrack, an atlas of Middle-Earth, all the movies in extended edition, all three books in one big beautiful hardcover volume illustrated by Alan Lee, LotR calendar.....the list just goes on...
over a year ago Euri said…
Well, when I was younger I saw a small clip of the ring wraiths and the Battle and Helms Deep in a special feature in some movie and I thought it looked neat. Later my sister watched it at a friend’s house and said it was okay, I wanted to watch it so we borrowed the first two from the library. The third one we borrowed from my grandparents. I loved them! I don't know why I liked them so much they just drew me into the story and kept me there. I was twelve at the time so nothing really scared me. I am now currently reading the books and I love them as well!
over a year ago green79 said…
heart
Well I dont think that I went to the theater to see them at all...basically my sister got me into them cause she loved them a lot but it wasnt really until a couple months ago when she watched all 3 movies again and i was like 'wow they're amazing!' and so ever since i have absolutely loved them!
over a year ago London said…
I was around 4 or 5 when I read the books, technechly they were read to me by my father who has always had a love for them. I watched the movies a couple years later. My mother is very protective of my siblings and I around scary movies so it was by chance I got to watch, by her standard I was far too young. I walked in while my sister, brother, and Father were in the middle of the first, then I watched it again a week later in full. I have been hooked ever since, purchasing different action figures, posters, book marks, all the extended virsions and copies of both the books and the movies in different forms. I even bought the one ring twice. The first one I lost because my sister pretended to be Gollum and scared the living crap out of me. So I hid it and still cannot find it, so I bought a new one and am wearing it right now.

Legolas stuck out to me, because elves are so fair, so learned, so pure. He was and is my favorite character to this day.

The orcs scared me as well as Gollum and the face of Bilbo when he asked Frodo if he could try it on again. Petrified.

Sorry if that was too long!
over a year ago bendaimmortal said…
smile
Ahh, memories. <333

I became a fan by the Fellowship of the Ring film in March 2002. I was 17. I just went to see it to the theatre since it was based on something legendary and I love fantasy tales. I knew nothing about the story or characters back then and loved the film, everything about it. But it was mostly Frodo and Sam and their friendship, especially combined to such a fascinating story, that made me run to a store and buy the book a week later from the first film view. (Waited that long only b/c I had no money earlier.) Read the book in a week or so, I simply could not put it down, but read until dawn, most nights, and saw the ForR film 6 times in a theatre. TTT film I saw some 5 times and RotK 3 or so. Usually I see a film in a theatre maximum of 2 times.

So, it was essentially Frodo and Sam who captured my heart and in the book they did so even more. <3 But when reading, I got deeply emotionally fond of / loving almost of every more or less main character and fortunately Tolkien did not kill most of them off and those who he did he had some honour or otherwise better part for them before that. The films only deepened my love because I feel the actors were perfect for the roles and it seemed they really loved their characters/playing them. I think the films - though have many big changes - were made with love and respect of the source material, through and through.

I wish the same people made a mini-serie of LotR.

Nothing scared me in the book nor in the film. If something remotely, then it must have been Shelob, as I have a phobia of spiders. But I didn't imagine Her looking so much like a spider, when I read, as She does in the film. The film version didn't scare me - rather made me a bit uneased. In my imagination She was much scarier, clearly spider-like but still essentially different looking, much more monstrous and disgusting, and at least 10 times bigger in size than in the film. I think my imagination over-killed though, lol, had She been as big as I imagined, there is no way in hell Sam could've wounded Her so bad with Sting, not to mention survive anyway. :D
over a year ago adieee said…
i think i was like 9 or 10 when i first saw the fellowship of the ring, but omg i can't remember how i heard of it, i think mum just got the video or something so we started watching it ,and omg i remember thinking omg (i know i say oh my god and lol heaps lol), who is that long blonde hair guy? he's so dam hot! hahaha but now it's all about pippin! lolz, and i might have gotten a tiny bit scared when they were torturing gollum or something hahah
over a year ago LowriLorenza89 said…
I was around 10 or 11 years old when I first read the books, and I saw the first film on my 12th birthday. My father had recommended the books to me.

I can't really remember what specifically it was that I liked about them. Maybe everything? But I loved the friendship between Frodo and Sam, and I was really drawn to the epic fantasy aspect - it was the first adult/big fantasy story I'd read, though I'd previously loved smaller children's fantasy books.

I don't think there was anything which really scared me when I read them. Shelob freaked me out a bit in the film though.