Harry Potter Vs. Twilight The Many Plot Holes of Twilight

han-han posted on Apr 24, 2010 at 03:57AM
Plot holes are to Stephenie Meyer's works as fish are to water. So, how many plot holes can you find?

I'll start you off. My friend and I, crazychlo, were thinking one afternoon and a thought crossed our minds.

If Edward has no pulse, how can he get and erection and therefore impregnate Bella? That confused us and we spent several ours after scratching our heads.

Harry Potter Vs. Twilight 227 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 227

over a year ago MadamOcta13 said…
big smile
Thanks for creating this! This is going to be so much fun!

Okay, so I don't want to ruin the fun for everyone, so I'll just do one:

Why would eternal "vampires" move across the country just to go to high school over and over again? Especially if they just keep to themselves and don't socialize?
over a year ago han-han said…
smile
oh snap great job there

thanks for participating
over a year ago ChocAttack266 said…
Can we post more than one plot hole in one comment? Cause there's so many that I can think of off the top of my head.

Actually, I'll just post one for now for two reasons: a) to be fair and b) I have a splitting headache, courtesy of the common cold. (I shouldn't really be on my computer or even awake at the moment, really). Anyway.

This is a plot hole that features in Breaking Dawn. It's rather minor, but still annoys me - en route to Isle Esme, Bella mentions travelling to "the west coast of Rio de Janeiro". There is no west coast of Rio de Janeiro. Or in any place in Brazil, as a matter of fact. If you were to travel through Brazil in a westerly direction, you would eventually end up at the Andes Mountain Range.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago han-han said…
oh my god that is so true...its fine to put more than one in at a time :D
over a year ago GemonkDruid said…
And also in New Moon, Bella and Alice reached the Volturi in 1, 2 days...? But in Breaking Dawn, it took the Volturi, like, 3 months. What. The. Heck?

And in Twilight, one morning, Bella made pancakes for Charlie. But a few paragraphs later, Chief Swan was told to have been scowling into his cereal bowl. How? HOW?!
over a year ago ToyletGnome said…
I will post a very obvious and popular one due to a splitting headache from the cold AJ gave me.

Rosalie managed to stay wealthy during the Great Depression because her father was a banker. Why was the Great Depression so bad, again? Gee, I dunno, maybe because THE BANKS FAILED! Apparently so did Smeyer in history class.
over a year ago TeamSiriusBlack said…
How could Leah be a werewolf? She can't imprint and that doesn't make sense. Seth is her brother and he's a wolf so why did Leah have to be one too? ALso, a few books later, other people become wolves. So why does Leah have to be one and not the others?
over a year ago rtriplet said…
How about bella is a girl. so how does edward not kill her when she got her period?
^Apparently, that's 'dead blood', so it doesn't affect Edward. *rolls eyes* Stupid Meyer. -__-
over a year ago XDRoseLuvsHP said…
How can Bella have gotten pregnant? Sorry if it gets kinda... graphic... but it's true. Yeah, I can see how Edward gets an erection and everything (vampire venom could do that I guess). But when a person is having sex, there are always, always micro-wounds. You can't say, "well, he's a vampire, so it's different" because being a vampire (by SMeyer's description) would only make it worse. He's supposed to be stone hard at a standard level, right? Well, SMeyer stated that there is venom in Edward's semen; in fact, it replaced it. The venom should have gotten into Bella's micro-wounds and turned her into a vampire before she got the chance to become pregnant.
tongue
So, this isn't really a plot hole, but I guess if you look at the big picture it is.

Okay, so Edward's known for all of his romancy-I'd-do-anything-for-you-Bella junk. So in Twilight, when he says that it's too dangerous for them even to be friends, he comes to school the next day and says "I've given up trying to stay away from you." So, what, does that mean that she's not important enough to keep protected? If he's "so in love with her" wouldn't he put her protection before the needs of himself (and his nose :-)
Why does everyone say it's hard to kill that type of vampire? Set it on fire, dip it in lava, send it to the middle of earth, give then to Voldemort.....
over a year ago this-is-my-name said…
The Volturi handled a gazillion of the vampire children, all over the world, never bringing out the entire guard. But when the Cullens have ONE, EVERYBODY comes on over to Forks.
Why didn't the Volturi just kill Nessie? They killed billions of people before and all of a sudden, they don't want to? Also, why is it steriotipical (SP?)? There's the 'good' brother, the 'mean' one, and the one that's been through stuff.
over a year ago ilovereading said…
smirk
how comes nobody knows about the vampires? It is not like they are easy to miss with the sparkling thing. 7 billion people dont have any clue, nobody ever took a picture and published it on Internet even if he/she is really smart. But then unike Bella come along and figure it out in like 2 months?!!
and vampires are sooo hard to kill, that not one single werewolf seems to remember a gun (bullet in the head, than burn)
In Twilight, the same vampire myths still remain, and Bella has no idea they sparkle instead of burning. In New Moon, when Edward goes to Volterra to reveal himself with a sparklefest, did he not think of the fact that NOBODY KNOWS SPARKLING = VAMPIRE? Seriously, if they did see him in the sun, I bet they'd all just go, "Dude, it's St Marcus' Day, not Mardi Gras. God, you're such a twat."

a) People in Volterra all know about the sparkling (probability: 0.01%)
b) In the time between Twilight and New Moon, everybody found out about the sparkling (probability: 0.01%)
c) The author was breaking her own rules for no reason other than convenience (probability: 99.98%)
Does Meyer know what the word evil means? The Volturi aren't evil. The only thing they did that was bad was that Aro killed his sister, and Marcus's wife, Dydime (Idk how to spwll it). Wow, that is sooooooooo evil! *sarcasm* Tom Riddle killed his dad. And his grandpa. And his grandma. And harry's parents, Gregovitch, Grindewald (I think...), etc....
Oh, and how is Bella smart? I mean, Meyer says she's in Calculus, but what about grades? No, "Hey, Charlie, I got an A on my math test"? She spends 12 pages on her clothing color but not a paragraph on a grade?
Smeyer said that her vampires keep their human souls after being turned, right?

So what, you get turned vamp, and then you just think, "Hmm. I am now a vampire. I guess this means I should go kill people! Wheee!"

You still have your conscience? And somehow it doesn't bother you that you're murdering innocent people? (Unless you're a Cullen. Then you're all, "Oh, I be so good and holy! YAY FOR MEEEE!")
How can Meyer say eating animals is original? Anne Rice did that first, sweety, and stop saying it's exactly like Romeo and Juliet. The only thing right is the love at first sight, lust, and the crude person (person who makes sex jokes; Emmett Cullen). They don't even do suicide! They attempt it, but fail epically.
^You reminded me of something.

Why did Edward need the Volturi to kill him? Why didn't he just light himself on fire? Really, Eddykinz. Duh.
over a year ago zanhar1 said…
how did the wearewloves kill Laurent with out a steak or fire, after all thats how thet're supposed to be killed. 9all that happned was the wearwolf pounced on him)
Why is it that the Volturi don't kill Bella? I mean, here's a human who has this huge relationship with a vampire and spends time with his family, so wouldn't she be a threat? Plus, these guys have been around for how long? Why would they break tradition all of a sudden?
over a year ago CupcakeKiller said…
Sparkling, a vampire spends its whole life in the darkness because its body is no longer capable of protecting itself against the UV rays of the sun.
^ Oh, you just reminded me.

How many of you have gotten sunburned on a cloudy day? I have, and I'm pretty sure that in itself proves why the clouds stopping sparkling theory is complete bullshit.
Win, Taylor. Epic win.

In New Moon, Bella witnesses people jumping off a cliff. They are uninjured because they are werewolves and therefore stronger than humans. Later, Bella jumps off the highest point of this cliff (which is higher than the aforementioned werewolves were jumping from) and, apart from almost drowning, she heals very quickly. She is a human and therefore weaker than the werewolves - this (combined with the fact that she jumped from a larger height) means that, in reality, she should have broken her neck upon impact.
^ That would've been nice.
over a year ago crazychlo said…
This is not really a plot hole but it doesnt make sense...

In Twilight, the first chapters in particular Renee always emails Bella, and is made out to be a very protective mother, but then all of a sudden, we never hear of her calling and her emails became less frequent/non existant. WTF? Did she all of a sudden forget that her daughter existed?Also, when Bella goes all vampire on our asses she's all like "Nah, bitch. I dont need to see my mum...whatever." It's kinda odd.
over a year ago ilovereading said…
I don`t think this is a plot hole, but it really anoys me.
Cullens are SOOOO RICH, although only Carlisle works. I mean, sure they don`t need to buy food, but fency cars, island and stuffs like this COST and doctors don`t earn that much (some of my relatives work as doctors, I know).
^It's because of Alice. She can see stock trends... *roles eyes*
How do people not notice a group of vampires underground when they make so much noise while killing people? Yes, I'm talking about the Volturi.
^ OOH! That reminds me of another plot hole.

According to Meyer, Alice's visions are subjective and will change depending on the choices people make that may affect an outcome, and yet she is able to perfectly predict the stock market. I'm pretty sure everyone would be able to predict the stock market if it wasn't based on the choices people make. I'd get into the details of why this is such an epic fail but I'll probably get something wrong because stock market trends are so complex in the way they work. Then again, that backs up my point in a way... I think.

Never mind. I know for sure that the stock market is based on the decisions and reactions of companies and people to other financial situations, and demand and supply, so there is no way Alice would be able to foresee stock trends.

Oh, and that makes the plot hole ilovereading posted about the Cullens and money 100% valid! YAY!
Taylor, you just reminded me of one which is linked to Alice's prediction ability. We've got a nice little chain of reminders happening, haven't we?

In Midnight Sun, Alice claims to have seen a vision of Bella as a vampire - implying that Bella has made the decision to become a vampire. At this stage, Bella doesn't even know that the Cullens are vampires. How, then, was Alice able to see something based on a decision that it would have been completely impossible for Bella to make?
^ Hahaha. WIN!
over a year ago ncisfan001 said…
heres another one (i think its #28 but i might not have counted right):

How does Renesme not want to kill herself? She's a half vamp with blood in her veins. Wouldn't she want to suck her own blood? And how can Jacob, a werewolf, imprint on a vampire? I don't care if shes half human too that just shouldn't be able to happen. According to Meyer werewolves always want to KILL vampires. And yet heres Jacob, totally in love with a half-vampire.
My new name for Renesmee (fur-reak name) is 'impossibaby'. Agree? Disagree? Agree to disagree?
^ It's cool, but I think I'll stick with "Renesgay".
How can Edward watch Bella in her sleep for two months if she moved there a month ago?
The blood Bella drinks when pregnant with Renesmee doesn't contain enough nutrients for Bella herself to survive.
This may not be a plot hole, but it's still an epic fail:

Bella gets a paper cut in New Moon and, in order to protect her from a bloodthirsty vampire, Edward pushes her into a glass table. Do I need to explain any further?
Y'know what Meyer said for all the vampire-type plot-holes? Not Magic. Not a black hole. Science. F*CKING SCIENCE. She said something about her "vampires" being silicon-based life forms, and that explains the sparkling like diamonds. NOT.

My nerdy, intelligent friend said that blood would not give silicon-based life forms proper nutrition.

I have a question: Shouldn't Edward Cullen be a pixie instead of a vampire? Not the cool Cornish ones, the loser ones. I mean, he sparkles, he lives in the woods, he's somewhat musical...
over a year ago PygmyPuff14 said…
hmmm
^He's not a pixie (they're too cool for him), he's a fairy

Edward's "intelligence" amazes me constantly. When he wants to commit suicide, why does he go to the Volturi and ask them to kill him? Wouldn't it be easier to jump into a fire and rip his limbs off or something?
Also, Edward has two medical degrees? I know he hasn't practiced, but, seriously, how d'you think a person who couldn't attend a blood typing lesson at school managed to get two medical degrees? So according to Meyer, a person who has two medical degrees and hasn't yet practiced wouldn't have seen human blood through the course of their education at all! Wow, isn't that genius!
(Note: Sorry about the extreme sarcasm, I'm feeling extremely cranky, for some reason)
^Maybe he cheated. Oh, the horror of horrors.
^^ You're probably cranky because of all the Twilight plot holes.
monkey
^She (he?)probably is; there's about... oh, a million of them.
over a year ago potterrox said…
Edward cannot read Bella's thoughts. This is extremely vital to the plot and IS NEVER EXPLAINED!!!!! I think it was just easier for Meyer to hope that her readers wouldn't notice. As a person who falls into the age demographic that twilight is aimed at, I'm a bit pissed that she thinks we are all really that dumb.
Speaking of dumb... I think either the people of Forks are blind, or quite stupid. I mean, how could have they not noticed that the meyerpires' eyes change color, even if the Cullens made the 'contacts' or 'flourescence' excuse? How come the police haven't put Edward behind bars for speeding?
over a year ago VampiresRevenge said…
Edward cannot read Bella's thoughts. This is extremely vital to the plot and IS NEVER EXPLAINED!!!!! I think it was just easier for Meyer to hope that her readers wouldn't notice. As a person who falls into the age demographic that twilight is aimed at, I'm a bit pissed that she thinks we are all really that dumb.

She did explain it. It was a sign of her "power" even before she became a vampire. Like when Alice was a human, she had hints of being psychic before she even was turned into a vampire. Bella's vampire power was a shield; Other vampire powers couldn't work on her (except for Jasper's because that controlled her emotions). Therefore, when she was a human, Edward couldn't read her mind.
OHMYGODS, I just had the perfect subtitle for this forum- Gotta Catch 'Em All!!! Agree? Disagree? Agree to Disagree?
over a year ago Athiya said…
@VampiresRevenge
But as someone said before (I couldn't recall who), emotions came from the brain, the limbic system if I'm not mistaken. That means Jasper shouldn't be able to affect Bella in any ways.
over a year ago VampiresRevenge said…
But as someone said before (I couldn't recall who), emotions came from the brain, the limbic system if I'm not mistaken. That means Jasper shouldn't be able to affect Bella in any ways.

The part of the brain that controls thought is not the same part of the brain that controls emotions.