Harry Potter Vs. Twilight 1000 Reasons Why Twilight Is Better Than Harry Potter

lauracullen66 posted on Aug 27, 2009 at 01:32PM

i'll go first

1. The main character is much much easier to relate to.

Harry Potter Vs. Twilight 2632 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 2632

over a year ago annoy_anonymous said…
smile
funny that you only thought of one reason...

So you can relate to an "everyteen" who is self absorbed, whiny, angst about everything, bitches about everything, and has an unhealthy obsession with an abusive boyfriend. Who only controls her only to "protect" her. Funny that is the first excuse you would hear from a boyfriend that abuses you.
over a year ago PMT said…
hmmm
The thing is lauracullen66, I don't think it was very real. Your comment was essentially based on the argument that it is more realistic. When I read the book, I never got that impression. He tells her he is a vampire, and living in a world where vampires are thought to be fictional, that alone would scare the crap out of you. It would be worse when he tells her that he has never wanted to drink someone's blood more in his life and it hurts him not to.
And I never saw a real reason as to why she loves him so much apart from the fact that he is attractive. There was no loving relationship between the two of them either. When they spent time together, they talked about whether she had pets and what her mother's name was, etc.
I never got any sense of realism when reading Twilight.
Nor did I get much emotion either, as you said was a strong point of the book. Meyer didn't write well and as a result, I didn't feel that emotion was conveyed nearly as well. I honestly didn't care when Bella's mum got kidnapped because relationships between characters and the depth of characters wasn't explained as it was in Harry Potter. When Edward left Bella, I didn't care nearly as much as I did in Harry Potter. Because I never got any sense that they were each other's true love. There wasn't much in their relationship. All there was was Bella fantasising constantly about how dazzling, scintillating, perfect, flawless, angelic and god-like Edward was.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Mrs-Grint said…
Erm. I think it kind of says something that Twilight has 1 reason and Harry Potter has 24....
over a year ago burgundyeyes said…
lauracullen66, you are aware that you completely contradicted yourself in your argument?
I quote: "Twilight is so much better because it's real, at least it could be real."
and then: "this is FICTION. as in most fantasy fiction novels, reality is heightened in book . you are not supposed to literally think that a guy like Edward REALLY EXISTS out there for you. he is a fantasy character as even his species, a vampire, does not exist in the real world."

So...is it supposed to be real or not real?

You also say: "Infact i bet if any of us published our thoughts into a book none of them would be great english lit."

I disagree. If you were to publish your thoughts in a book, wouldn't you want to make it sound a bit more litterary and interesting? i mean, i don't think you'd actually publish a book with thoughts like these when, let's say someone dies that you like: "My grandfather just died of a heart attack. oh, i'm so sad."

No, you'd want to embelish it, express your emotions through the text that is your thought. so of course it has to sound a bit more sophisticated than what it really is.

"I dont think they are badly written either, i think they are written so anyone can read and understand without the use of your dictionary, my 7 year old brother loves the films and would love to read the books but he cannot read them...they are too advanced for him..therefore they are NOT geared towards every age group."

Again, you contradict yourself. unless you forgot to mention the word harry potter. does your brother like hp or twilight? because from what you wrote and i understood, he likes twilight. which is kinda weird...

over a year ago burgundyeyes said…
Much clearer! Thanks.

I do agree that harry potter can be a bit too hard for young children. especially starting from the 4th book. the 3 first ones were still simple enough.
I certainly hope that your brother will read them someday though. maybe in two years?

Yes, it's true that your actual thoughts wouldn't be very complex. but aren't both twilight and hp books? and therefore the thoughts of the characters should be more, in a way, sophisticated?
but, it's two different styles...
lauracullen66, when you say that young children can't read harry potter (from 4th book onwards) as negative of it, i assume you're saying that it's not targeted to a large audience.

I understand that, but I think that Twilight is worse in that sense. its targeted to teenage girls and thats pretty much it, while with harry potter, children (to an extent) to teenagers to adults read and enjoy them.

And yes, Twilight is written like a diary and they are really, just thoughts and realistically, looking at it that way, most teenagers wouldn't write with, as you said, great english lit. but still, as a book that is being published and in who it is written for, it's not an excuse for the bad writing.

I could understand that if it was used to add to the story, but its not. In the way you put it, it's used as an excuse, not a writing technique. And if you think about it, if it was expressed written and a word that burgundyeyes used that I liked, embelished more, it would be a better story.
Excuse me, but how is it not true? My mother loves Harry Potter books, heck she's even got "Tales of Beedle the Bard", "Quidditch Through The Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

So does my seven-year-old sister. She's read the first 3 on her own, but I'm reading her the Goblet of Fire, so why is it not true?
over a year ago cruzandbosco said…
rainy
Harry Potter is bether than twlight because lot of people read it...a teenegers,adolts,old people,kids...twilight read only kids and teenege girls...but that is just my openion...HP rules
over a year ago renrae said…
and twilight isn't innapropriate for young children?

Ahahaha... oh, you were serious?
Actually, my grandmother bought me the books when I was young. I read them all by myself. I did not find they were unsuitable,in fact, I find that now they taught me valuable life lessons. Yes, as the books go on (mostly to the fourth one) they get more and more adult. However, the children who read Sorcerer's Stone with their parents were then teenagers, or atleast older and could understand the concepts.

Also: You want a 'helplessly devoted to his beloved to the point of obsession.'? Go watch Phantom of the Opera, or read it. I mean it. Go. Now. That's a good example of that, and the point of the whole idea is that it is an unhealthy obsession. With Twilight, it's supposed to be a normal relationship anyone can imagine themselves in, and that's just not realistic. If a real person did the things that Edward did, then it wouldn't be okay.
I started reading Harry Potter when I was 7 or 8. Although I'll agree, that was only the 1st-3rd books.
But still, saying Harry Potter is not suitable is not entirely true for the first few books. And in the last books, you are also partly correct. I acknowledge that.
And you haven't really said so directly, but I'm assuming by your saying this, you're trying to say that Twilight reaches to more people. And you've been ignoring what we've said in regards to this. If there are some Harry Potter books that shouldn't be read by young children, no Twilight books should be as they are much worse in that sense.
With what you've been saying about Harry Potter, you should understand that Twilight is worse. You can't deny it. And also, it's a book about teenage relationships and romance. It is largely directed towards teenagers. Although adults would be able to read it, they wouldn't enjoy it as much, seeing as it's not targeted towards them.
Not with Harry Potter. They can as easily be read and enjoyed by adults, children and teenagers alike.
So in this issue about who can read the books and about the audience, HP clearly wins as it's a mark of a great book to be enjoyed by such a widespread audience.
over a year ago nati30 said…
wasn't this supposed to be about why twilight is better than hp and not what audiences they appeal to? we still have like less than 10 reasons why twilight is better than hp, come on people hp has like 50 reasons, i would join in but i can't really think of a good reason
See!
'wasn't this supposed to be about why twilight is better than hp and not what audiences they appeal to? '

Someone was using it as one of their reasons so we debunked it.
hmmm
well, yeah, i guess, but now that i actually count, lauracullen only gave like 6 reasons, is anyone else going to post any?
over a year ago TEAM-EDWARDxxx said…
wink
Ummm.. can i just say something?? Im not trying to start a fight with anyone, but this is a place where people say 1000 reasons why Twilight is BETTER then HP.. Not for people to critize Twilight, and im pretty sure that Lauracullen would want people to say reasons why its better.
That's okay :) and yes i agree, if you cant think of any reasons then i dont think theres a reason for you to be here? maybe go and comment on the 1000 reasons why HP is better then Twilight.
im encouraging people to post, sheesh, wasnt even trying to be mean.
laugh
I wasnt directing anything straight at you, i was just saying what i thought. Cant i do that now?
over a year ago LoveDraco123 said…
cool
Lauracullen, go look at your other completely pointless post. Look at how many reasons there are. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN FINISHED! You lost... go drown yourself.
blush
Whoa that was harsh :O... I dont think she posted this to get bullied..
over a year ago emmett said…
heart
it has vampire's in it... :D well, so does harry potter.. BUT STILL!
TWILIGHT VAMPIRE'S FOREVER
bestpotterhead commented…
Twilight vampires are stupid Smeyer ruined mythology over a year ago
over a year ago emmett said…
worried
LoveDraco123, yeah what the hell! lauracullen66 only posted this for a game.. geez...NOT that i'm taking sides.. :S lol
over a year ago Free_Spirit said…
seriously twilight isn't as great as its put out to be. There is no depth to the characters, they have the same emoticion the whole book, and its nowhere near relatable, who is ever going to get an obsessed stalking vampire in this life time. But also all the books are so cliche Bella gets everyone in trouble and the vampires save the day. And Bella is soo annoying, she needs to get a life outside o her boyfriend it gives a bad message to young girls saying they should choose they're bfs over friends, that they should lead a dangerous life. Also Twilight doesn't make you think, it doesn't make you question what you believe. It's not thought provoking. And yeah Lauren cullen you only came up with 1 reason then. But she's not relatable because they're are alot of girls who are not that shy. But Harry potter is awesome, because it takes you to a different world, filled with magic. But also stephanie myer uses the same phrases over and over again. Yes we get Edward is beautiful, yes we get that he's stone cold. So yeah Twilight is not good
over a year ago Free_Spirit said…
and also you contradicted yourself again laurencullen, you said your little brother loves the movie but the books are to advanced but then you said that it is an easy book without having to go get a dictionary. And Twilight could never exist, there is no chance of it happening. And edward isn't that great either he self hating, abusive and controlling. But Harry potter makes you think a bit where twilight doesn't
tongue
Again, like i said.. This is a place where people say REASONS why TWILIGHT is BETTER the HP!!Not for people to come and critize it and Lauracullen..She only asked this to get responses not people coming and being Bitches to her.

You dont see people in the why HP is better the TWILIGHT question, critizing Harry potter, now do you?
over a year ago stickymonkey said…
clearly, no one has any reasons though... hmm i wonder why that is (!)
meh
If you dont have any reasons then there is No Reason why you should be here.
over a year ago -ToujoursPur said…
hmmm
Um yeah, sorry to burst your bubble sweetie... but the point is: Twilight isn't better then Harry Potter. Well, you are right for liking Twilight: it's a great romance - but, it couldn't be compared not only to Harry Potter, but neither to Romeo and Juliet, that -as you said it yourself- is the classic version of Twilight. I can list you a thousand reasons why Harry Potter is better then Twilight; I could have done that right here, right now! It's the easiest thing to do. But, if you couldn't mention some reason better then what you already said in first place, the rest of us would NEVER make it to 1,000. It's not only practically, but also technically impossible.
Thank You. :)
over a year ago bubblezgonewild said…
big smile
Simple WIZARDS SUCK and VAMPIRES RULE. its that easy
laugh
Umm.. ToujoursPur, Thats just YOUR oppoion, im pretty sure that there may be other people out there who dont agree with you.

And bubblezgonewild- I agree with you "WIZARDS SUCK and VAMPIRES RULE!"
tongue
I was only here sticking up for LauraCullen.. lol Sorry
The reason people who don't like Twilight are on here is because these answers are bogus.

So they aren't reaons.
smile
People can make up there own reasons.. its their own opionion..
over a year ago callmecrazy1897 said…
rainy
random thought.... isnt this a list of why twi is better than HP...
im for HP and were like in 200's now......
To be honest I think that the Harry Potter fans are getting kicked off here is a reason in itself. :)
over a year ago Hedwig11 said…
bubblezgonewild: "simple wizards suck and vampires rule. Its that easy"

great you've stated your opinion, now can you please back that opinion up with evidence. This is why the HP fans are saying that the Twilight fans "reasons" aren't really reasons. They aren't supported. Without support, an its just your opinion. If you look at the 200+ list of why HP is better, most, if not all of the reasons have evidence to explain the opinions that they profess. I encourage you to start doing the same, maybe then people would take your posts seriously.

side note: i do however, applaud your spelling and grammar ability. while its not perfect (well obviously it wouldn't be seeing as its an internet post) you are a step above most other twilight fans due to this attribute. now if you can just learn that capitol letters do not make an argument any more believable....
over a year ago ABDCFan- said…
smile
^^Well thats a bit mean. Hedwig11 was just asking if bubblezgonewild could back her opinion up with something. Just because the HP board, has 200+ and this one has 2, doesn't mean you can take it out on people, just because you're board has had alot of Twilight haters on it.
Yes, i do like Twilight, but i think that HP can relate to more people in the world, and that more people can enjoy, and take the experiences they've had from reading the books with them throughout their life. This is my personal opinion, and i DO NOT (i put this in capitals to make this clear), want people saying that my reason is wrong, and that it's stupid.
Thankyou.
over a year ago nessienjake said…
wink
lol this is a spot for everyone to fight...
well it's good i dont like edward and harrypotter
i like jacob and ron XD
ummm but im in for the people who hold twilight =D
surprise
I agree with Lauraculler66 Hedwig11 you shouldnt be going around saying that people have 'Spelling erros' when you have some yourself..and yeah not EVRYONE can be perfect spellers though..
And ABDCFan- when you say that you dont like it when people say your reasons are wrong maybe you shouldnt say other peoples reasons are wrong because they may NOT LIKE IT EITHER! (Just clearing that up) :)
Hedwig11 i find it really offensive when you basically say that 'Twilight Fans' have 'Poor grammer skills', im pretty sure there are alot of other people out there who would be offended by that. Im a Twilight Fan (and not ashamed by it) does that meen i have 'poor' grammer/spelling skills!?

over a year ago stickymonkey said…
i'm gonna back Hedwig11 up on this, most twilighters (from what i've seen) cannot spell or use grammar to save their life ... and i'm very sure that Hedwig11 can spell better than most people, and i'm sure she can spell 'capital' properly, but don't we all make mistakes when we're typing ??

twilight fans should better come up with some decent reasons to post here, rather than make petty criticisms against HP fans.
Agreed!! over a year ago
over a year ago mckayla12 said…
heart
i think twilight is better than harry potter because there is romanc and i just love twilight:))))))
over a year ago Kersian said…
Okay when I first read Twilight in middle school, only because my friends were reading it, but as I read I thought it was so awesome. It was just a phase, I grew out of that. I only liked it to get into conversations with my friends. Truth is Twilight compared to other books is just a insult in Literature. Don't get me wrong, there are no grammar mistakes, but it lacks many things compared to other good books.

Okay on the cover of the first book Twilight, it says: The #1 New York Times Bestseller

Just because the a book sold over a million copies does not make it a good book, well it does show how many people spent 20 bucks or whatever they cost now. A good book to me is not grammar, but how it was written.

So when I thought the book was so good, cause I was young, I was so obsessed. But when I heard the term Mary Sue and found out the meaning I instantly check YouTube.

First Twilight's main protagonist, Bella Swan, is a Mary Sue. That means she is too unbelievably perfect and this whole book revolves around her. The reason why I call her a Mary Sue, is because she has no flaws. I do not count clumsiness. That was just a method for Stephenie Meyer to use to make it seem like Bella was not perfect. Would you count clumsiness as a minor or major flaw? If it was truly a major flaw then why did it not get in the way in the climatic parts in the books. Why was she not as clumsy as she was in the beginning of the book? Because Bella's clumsiness is just a minor flaw. So that just proves that Bella has no flaws.

You can just tell this was Stephenie Meyer's first book published. To me it was like reading a bad fan fiction. She rushed through all her supporting characters. They all lacked depth, personality, characteristics, and were all rushed through.

The reason why Twilight fans like the book so much and not other books is because they have not read other good books. Harry Potter has no romance? What? This shows to me that they have not read that book at all. There was plenty of romance, but because the romantic relationships were not the main plot they were not to be such a big part of the book. Trust me many books have romance in it, other than romance books. The read “The House of the Scorpion” by Nancy Farmer. Now this book had plenty of romance in it, although that was not the main plot there are many parts in the book with just romance in it. Twilight no there is no romance at all. What Bella is feeling for Edward is not true love, but lust. She is at her teens still and of course she is simply blind to the fact that Edward is abusive by Edward's face and his body.

There's a bunch of things I could just say, but I choose not to list them all. By the way Edward is so bland. Yeah that's the word. He also lacks any personality of a real person. I do not count beautiful, cute, hot, gorgeous as his traits. I would instead say mental and obsessive. And let me ask why did Edward fall in love with Bella in just a month? What is it that he fell head over heels for her? Other than that he couldn't read her mind and the scent of her blood?
over a year ago PirateNinja3815 said…
Okies, here I am to defend Harry Potter. Yeah sure, hit me with criticism. But, face it, it's my opinion, nobody else's.

1. lol, Harry Potter has 200+ reasons, Twilight only has less than ten

2. Little kids (meaning 7+) can read Harry Potter, and so can 75+ year olds. Twilight is NOT aimed at 7 year olds, it's a little inappropriate.

3. lauracullen66, I do believe that you have had enough criticism about your first comment, but seriously. HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT HARRY POTTER HAS NO LOVE??!!?? Love is one of the main themes in Harry Potter. Harry wouldn't even be the Boy Who Lived without love. Love was the thing that defeated Voldemort. Harry loved everyone in Hogwarts so much, he died to save them. He even saved Draco, his bully, from burning alive. You don't see Bella saving Lauren, do you?

Overall, I definitely agree with EVERYTHING that Kersian has said.

Harry Potter rules forever and ever.
Yeah!!!! >:) over a year ago
Yay Harry Potter overshadows Twilight by more than 200 reasons
over a year ago doc070 said…
um harry potter is so much better than twilight anyday...twilight will die out after the movies are done, while harry potter will stick around
over a year ago CharmedFan4eva_ said…
hmmm
ok, if u dont agree that twilight is better than hp then just dont post anything, there is another forum about yy u think hp is better than twilight... then go there

PirateNinja3815, " You don't see Bella saving Lauren, do you?"
when would she even get the chance to?

over a year ago ohjeez said…
hp books are more likly for people of this generation to pass onto our kids and so on. it is a tale of adventure and challenges mixed with a lot of other things. I am a huge twilight fan but twilight is something that majority girls read and fall in love with, not guys. depends on your taste and what you like. i dnt think these two books should be compared. twilight vs. vampire diaries sure. but no twilight vs. harry potter or vice versa.
over a year ago ohjeez said…

but not* twilight vs. harry potter
Well it seems this post isnt really getting anywhere with the reasons.