Fanpop Keywords

amazondebs posted on Feb 28, 2008 at 02:46AM
i know a lot has been said many times before about keywords, but recently there seem to be even less of them
a fan actually said to me the other day that they didn't need to add key words as there weren't a requirement!!!
the more key words you add, the easier people will be able to find your images, there fore the more people will view them and hopefully rate them

another tip about key words that i picked up from DrDeviance was to include the word 'image' in your key words too

Fanpop 15 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago DarkSarcasm said…
Keywords, not a requirement? *facepalm*
I could come up with a few keywords for that fan... ;) LOL.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
well i have messaged them trying to explain so hopefully they will understand it, then i will gently point them in the direction of drd's soapbox on image credits ;P
When in doubt, refer to DrD. =P
of course lol! seriously she taught me loads when i first joined, i own my new fan fanpoppy to her lol
why can't i say a sentence with out sayin lol? i nearly put that as a key word the other day :)
You know, I actually did a Fanpop search for "LOL". 7 spots and 620 results. What's sad, is, the first result is something I posted. >.<
lol! you just can't make this stuff up
Who would make up something like that? This is serious stuff, man. ;)
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Bravo! I feel so proud!

If an image has no keywords it does not exist to Google... anything under like 5 is.. well.. you shouldn't even bother to add the image if you haven't the time to add keywords.
over a year ago DrDevience said…
And oh yeah.. another thing I have seen recently is breaking each word with a ,

That is fine for a movie title or whatever, except that the word 'the' is not a valid keyword by itself....
another quick point as well, you can include abbreviations and the whole title but at least make sure that you do have the whole title

e.g. if someone was searching for one tree hill photos, yes tag it as OTH if that's what a lot of fans search by but also make sure it has the full name of one tree hill too,
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
I always add key words to my images. The other day I was adding images to the lizzy caplans pot and I was thinking I only have three key words, what else can I put? Adding image is a good idea. I will do that for the next ones I add.
over a year ago harold said…
I don't want to flog the horse, but I want to explicitly point out that keywords are vital for ALL content, not just images.

At a minimum, all content one adds should include the following keywords:
* type of content (image, video, link, etc)
* name of the spot

Images should also include the name of the object/person depicted and NOT the names of things that aren't depicted. For instance, a picture of the actor playing Chuck (in the Chuck spot) should have "Zachary Levi" as a keyword, but not "Yvonne Strahovski" unless that actor was also depicted in that picture.

Dates and locations are also encouraged for images. If a picture of William Shatner is posted, it could be anywhere from the last 45 years. So keywords like "star trek" and "1968" would differentiate well between another image tagged with "Boston Legal" and "2006". That's an example of a person, but the same applies for inanimate objects: a picture of Berlin in 1945 would be very different than a picture of Berlin in 1963, much less Berlin in 1989 or 2008.

Keywords make useful searches possible. Without them, searches on Fanpop (I don't have Lori's focus on Google searches) are either ineffective or come up with so many results that they're meaningless.
brilliant point about the years!!!

i'm not quite sure i've ever heard the term 'flog the horse' but i don't think you did it :)
over a year ago harold said…
Well, I don't think you've seen me beating on this issue very much, for the simple reason that I haven't caught you not providing keywords for your content. I've been calling users on this for...well, close to two years now.

Sometimes it amazes me that it's been that long...
i think i've alwasy put loads of key words on, purly for the logic that the more (and more correct) i put on, the easier people would find them, so the more they get rated
i havn't always been that good with the image credit though, but i am now :)

wow two years! i think i've only been a fan for erm 6 months? naa hmmm god time does fly when your have fan