Fanpop Icon crediting- What is the legality behind this?

OceanCoast posted on Sep 08, 2010 at 03:45AM
So I was on LiveJournal and I saw someone post tv fandom icons and in her rules she says "do not post on Fanpop" this got me thinking, who is she to give rules on use of a picture she has no ownership of?
I mean she cropped it, added effects but its still from pictures she DID NOT own. The icons in particular were actually from the True Blood season 3 photoshoot, they were not something she capped herself. How does this work?

*please note* I make my own fandom icons, so I understand you don't want people stealing your work, but I also know that I don't own the material that I'm creating with so Its not up to me to make rules about something I don't legally own.

I was just curious on everybody's views on this topic.

Fanpop 10 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago rachaelwsz said…
Personally, I think it's alright for her to do so. She doesn't own the original pictures but she does deserve some credit for the editing. In a way, I think it gives her some 'rights' whether to allow others to re-post the icons on Fanpop. And from what I observe, most Fanpoppers don't take icon credits as 'seriously' as LJ users. I suppose she doesn't want the icons to be uploaded in Fanpop and have her icons used in Fanpop without any credits given to her for the icons. So, if she doesn't want the icons to be in Fanpop, I think she does have a say in it.
Ahhhh... Just discovered that the icons made in my LJ link ended up being used link in link and are also posted in the link too. Hmm, at least the person who uploaded them gave credits...

I don't really know what to think of it but I wish that the person who reposted my icons would at least give me a notification or something. I didn't upload the icons there for a reason... =/ This being one of the link. CREDIT, PEOPLE! D:
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
Its not about "legality". A very knowledgeable LJ user once told me that copyright laws don't apply to icons anyway, because they are so small. Not sure how true that is, but this person knows their stuff so I'm inclined to think there is some truth to that.
But it is about courtesy. The "don't post on Fanpop" thing isn't a legal thing, its about not wanting their content used in ways that they aren't directly involved in and about giving credit where credit is due.

Personally, I think that if you put something out there on the internet publically (I'm assuming we are talking about public LJ user accounts) then you cannot expect that it will stay confined to LJ. And you can't even expect that people will credit your work. What you can expect is that if you ask that people credit you or not share your work elsewhere, then at least some people will pay attention to that and not share the artwork. So its a respect issue, not a legal one.
For example, an icon maker found out that her icons were being posted here, some credited, some not. So she abused the crap out of people and reported everything. She was just pissed off that her art was flying around the place without her knowledge. Thats partly her own fault because she chose to share the art, and partly the fault of Fanpop users for not respecting her wishes.

Quite frankly, LJ users piss me off a little about this kind of stuff because I always thought that the point of making icon/art etc was to share it with other people who liked the same things. Yet some LJ users seem to want the opposite. I totally understand though, being an icon/fanart maker myself, that it SUCKS when people don't credit you or worse, take credit for your work themselves. I've seen people post my artwork, crediting someone else entirely because they found it on some other random fansite without any credit information. But to a certain extent, you share stuff on the internet at your own risk. Plus, I have found people using artwork that I made to make money on eBay. I can't do a thing about that and I certainly won't see a cent for my work, nor an I expect to see a cent for it. So at some point you just have to let it go.

^ Well that turned into an essay answer didn't it.
over a year ago germany123 said…
yeah thats what i heard..icons are so small that copyrights dont apply.
i doubt a USER can do anything- you dont have the legal guns! so if you dont want your stuff stolen/used you need to put a watermark across them, which of course ruins the image and is pretty pointless for icons..

but i also agree with missy "Quite frankly, LJ users piss me off a little about this kind of stuff because I always thought that the point of making icon/art etc was to share it with other people who liked the same things"
if you dont want it used dont upload it!

oh and i will never ever provide credit for icons i used in a pick. thats taking things a lil too far!
Just want to rephrase my earlier comments and add on a bit (in response to the comments above).

I don't mind it at all when people use the icons that I've made, whether it is for a pick , icon, etc. What's the point of making the icons then? In fact, I feel please when I see people using those icons that I've made. It's like a proof that people love my stuff. I LOVE it when people use my icons, don't get me wrong. :) But it IS disappointing when I see some icons that I've made are being used without credits. *rolls eyes* I can't expect too much from the world, can I?

And no, I don't expect my icons to be confined in LJ only. I can never expect that. But I do have a choice on whether I want to upload these icons on LJ and Fanpop. Also, since these icons were already made available on my LJ, I don't think it was actually 'necessary' for me to have them reposted on Fanpop under my account. I CAN upload those icons on Fanpop but I just didn't. :P

And if someone wants to upload the icons that I've posted on my LJ in the spot's icon gallery, I think the person should leave me a comment about it. It's not a rule but it's just out of courtesy, if you get what I mean.

"oh and i will never ever provide credit for icons i used in a pick. thats taking things a lil too far!"

I agree.
over a year ago caramelmilk said…
angelic
If they want their icons on fanpop, they would post them here.
Simple as that. If they don't want that, it should be respected.
It takes quite a long time editing them, so it's only polite not to steal them so you can get a medal. Sadly, that is what 95% of people who repost icons think of.

Of course they make these icons to share them with people, so I guess it's fine if you use them for your usericons or on picks, but there's absolutely no need to repost them without even asking them because you want a medal.
Add your own artwork or ask.
over a year ago Snerkie said…
smile
"If they want their icons on fanpop, they would post them here."
They may have never HAERD of Fanpop though.

I personally post icons on LJ but under my "rules" i put credit isn't needed as i'm just content knowing that someone is enjoying what i did which makes me feel happy and spreading fandom joy :) i do ask that they don't claim as their own but i think that's just a "no durr" sort of thing.

I also don't think the user needs to be told their stuff is being spread somewhere else, they put it on the internet, once you do that it's like free game. I know there's a bunch of photos of mine on Wikipedia that i've stumbled upon but i'm just glad they're being used and enjoyed because that's my intent when originally posting.
over a year ago catgirl140 said…
I guess she has a say cause she added effects and stuff. So it's fine. :3

I usually get my pics from DeviantART. I don't ask for permission (wait!) unless the artist said this cannot be posted anywhere else. When I use them on Fanpop, I credit the ownner.

Only when the person has done no change, they give credit. But even if they change it, they should still give credit.

Hope that didn't confuse you. ^^;

PIC: My current icon. X3 Anyone like Beyblade Metal Fusion?

I guess she has a say cause she added effects and stuff. So it's fine. :3

I usually get my pics fr
over a year ago Laurencia7 said…
If you steal from a stealer, it's recycling. Not ownership.
If they give credit, and link to her livejournal it shouldn't be a problem.
Some people just get paranoid.
over a year ago harold said…
Just a couple of notes: copyright still exists, no matter the image size. It's possibly less likely that the copyright holder will take action for smaller image infringements. Screen-capping is also a potential violation of copyright, but in general the TV/film studios are inclined to let fans use their imagery in support of their product, whereas professional photographers generally do not share the same view (because their product is different, even if your experience of the product is very similar).