Fanpop Spreading the word about Fanpop

dave posted on Jul 27, 2007 at 12:51AM
Hey gang,

So as you know, the crew here works pretty hard to make the site awesome for you. From what we can tell and your encouraging messages, it sounds like you guys really love Fanpop. Imagine if we could get more users on here!? We're trying to figure out the best way to get the word out to others and I'd love to hear your suggestions on how you would spread the Fanpop love. We've tried widgets and e-mail invites, but there has to be more. We hope that all of you have invited everyone you know by now! But if you haven't what are you waiting for?! :)

Fanpop 13 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago kathiria82 said…
I want people to join Fanpop but I'm scared if it gets too big then it will die out, sort of like how MySpace did. I know this is nothing like MySpace and I would die if it turned into that because MySpace is full of hackers and losers. No offense to MySpace users, and I have MySpace too, haha.
over a year ago Sazza said…
when i go to forums on other sites that are say specific to a tv show i usually advertise the site saying that you can watch video clips, look at images. If everyone does this too fanpop might get bigger, you never know until you try.
over a year ago goalstopper said…
yeah but that will be known as spamming. i haven't thought of a plan but i think we should have a more sports fans. I only know one sports blog and i emailed them and they didn't answer back. so if anyone has other ideas i will be happy to do it.
over a year ago benji said…
I still think decent images to use as signatures on forums would be great, especially if we could sync them in with the 'invitations' thing that was recently added.
over a year ago harold said…
Three ideas:

1) Cross-promotion, which is to say getting fanpop ads on other sites in exchange for the ads on fanpop. A good marketing partnership with another company that had high viewer volume would do wonders in raising brand awareness, and brand awareness is key to increasing site trafffic.

2) More original content. The videoEgg feature is really nice (though a bit scary for copyright implications) but in the end people can see videos everywhere. What we as fanpop users can do is create more fan art and write more in-depth soapbox articles, thus generating unique content that doesn't exist anyplace else. Unique content like that can then appear in searches, thus guiding more users to the site. For instance, do a google search for "Michael's Rule" (I was amazed that there weren't more write-ups for this online) - judging by the google search results, that's apparently unique content for fanpop.

3) Marketing outside of the computer medium. I'm still holding out for fanpop merchandise with which I can market the site in the real world. A bumper magnet reading "What are you a fan of? link" would go on my car instantly.

These are all geared toward getting more people to view fanpop, of course. I heartily believe that you have a pretty decent viewer-to-registrant ratio, what with picks and all (people just can't resist those picks!), so the big challenge in my view is just getting more people to view the site. On top of that, only the second one is one that we users can do. I feel a little bad because between suggestions like this and all my bug reports I feel like I'm constantly coming up with more work for you guys...but I still think that these ideas are all valid.
over a year ago Jonapello23 said…
Advertise. First hit up the big sites. AC, Myspace, Miniclip, Fandago, google.
over a year ago kathiria82 said…
No not MySpace, I got hacked on MySpace!
over a year ago goalstopper said…
Maybe we could open a cafe press type thing.
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
3) Marketing outside of the computer medium. I'm still holding out for fanpop merchandise with which I can market the site in the real world. A bumper magnet reading "What are you a fan of? link" would go on my car instantly.

I love that idea harold, and always think that I should go and print myself a Fanpop t-shirt at the printing place we have, or make one on cafepress.
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Teen Trend Magazine would be happy to trade ad space with ya on their website ;)

(ducks and runs)

and ummm... I like the sticker idea. I have plastered AC stickers alllll over Sweden. HA!
over a year ago TweenaCat said…
This may sound very selfish, depriving most of the world of it, but I kind of like fanpop where you can recognise people's profilr pictures, I wouldn't want that to change by having hundreds of millions of people on here suddely.

Where would be the sense of community?
over a year ago ciaran said…
Im gonna start advertising it on all my bands on bebo
over a year ago bvgf said…
I Told Box28 about fanpop by a call.
I've called all my mates about fanpop.