Fanpop Wikipedia Moderation and Improvements

DoctorSpud posted on Jan 04, 2009 at 11:19PM
As most of you know we now have a Wikipedia article. My soapbox about it recieved a slew of comments so let's start off fresh in this forum.

First off: Moderation
Should we have free moderation or vote for moderators? I vote we vote :P

If we vote here are some good rules we could apply:
Please participate in the voting and do not vote for yourself. Those who win have the option to moderate the page or not. If 2 or more back down from the job we will hold a second election. You can vote for up to 4 people besides the F4 who already have the right to do so. The vote will end on January...erm....how 'bout January 9th. (Sorry if I act like I'm the King who makes all the rules but someone has to do it :P)
I vote for Cammie, hm94991, harold, and johnminh.

Second Off: Improvements and Additions
Make some good ideas for improvements! Talk freely about stuffies and if you think it's a good-non-troll-like idea put it on the article.
last edited on Jan 05, 2009 at 06:54AM

Fanpop 20 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Cammie said…
YES! Definitely a vote for moderators is the best stragedy, I believe.
I vote for:
DoctorSpud, Harold, Cinders and Astroasis.

We need above all, consistency and accuracy for this article to stand a chance.
over a year ago jighooligan101 said…
With Cammie gonna assume the F4 are moderators aswell
over a year ago astroasis said…
Maybe we should have a spot (here?) for people to nominate themselves for the role? Because some people might not want to be a moderator... Whereas others might really want the position. Then maybe a pick to decide among those who nominate themselves?

And thanks for the vote, Cammie! :D Although I'm not sure I'd be good for it...

And, of course, we can vote for who amongst us can/should update it... but there's nothing we can do about anyone else who might decide to edit it, as well.
over a year ago DoctorSpud said…
I'll be honest astroasis- if people are going to be begging for me to vote for them I'm not gonna. :D

And I know this is out of place but... Happy New Years everyone! XD
over a year ago Cammie said…
HAPPY NEW YEAR, DrSpud!
DoctorSpud, what I said has nothing to do with people begging for votes.

I'm saying that some of the people who have been voted for might not WANT to be a moderator.

Like myself. I very much appreciate the vote Cammie gave me, but I don't think I should be the moderator of the wiki page.

I'll share some ideas here if/when I have them, though.

Edit: Oh, I see you already included a bit about people stepping down or declining the "position". Although it still seems like it would be easier to just vote on the people who WANT the position in the first place...
last edited over a year ago
I see the other point to your comment now.
over a year ago hm94991 said…
ah HAH! A vote for me. (Does a little happy dance) Thanks, and Happy new year, DrSpud.

EDIT: oops! almost forgot. My votes are for Harold, DrSpud, Cammie, and Kathiria82.
Thanks for returning the favor hm :)
I've added a "History" section to the Wiki page. If you wanna extend to it be my guest.
over a year ago jighooligan101 said…
Wouldnt it be easier to do a pick compiled with a list of users appropriate for the job i.e people who will take it seriously and not flake?
Well then we'd have to vote for who to put into the pick. So it's really just doing twice the work.
I still say:

1. Remove the "commercial" examples. Wikipedia frowns on spam. That link makes the whole article look like spam - especially with it being so close to the top.
2. Remove the user comments. The press comments are good - they show that sites and reviewers like the site. However, they get lost in a sea of Fanpopper comments. Of course Fanpop users like the site. That's why they're ON the site. It's more interesting to people to see what unrelated sites and reviewers have to say.
3. Remove the "popular picks" - or add more examples of picks. As it is, it looks like the main objective of picks is to pit fans against one another or to compete in popularity contests. That, if anything, is the opposite of what Fanpop itself stands for.

Otherwise, I think the rest seems good.

Just remember: A wikipedia article is NOT a place to advertise the site or ourselves. You need to approach it like an encyclopedia entry. We need to provide information, not our own opinions.
over a year ago hm94991 said…
Props astroasis.
And that's exactly what we're working on astroasis. I'll keep in mind your comment and it was very well said.
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
Harold definitely, because I trust him to keep it looking professional, plus he was here before it was launched to the public as a tester, so he knows a lot about Fanpop, since you wrote the article DrS, it's only fair that you should moderate it too and the F4 of course, I think they are the three most obvious choices.
over a year ago hellgirl223 said…
Im with Hooch on this one. F4 is the most obvious ones as they must know a whole load about Fanpop. Harold because he can make it look absolutely professional and has the best English. DrS because he was the one who wrote the article. That part I totally agree, now I need to vote for two more. I vote for astroasis (I know you don't want to but I cant help it!) and Cammie :-)
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
I would say harold, cinders, you DrS since it is your baby and I will trust that if you aren't sure you will ask one of the others, I would also say maybe PkmnTrainerJ. Then of course the F4.
big smile
OK! Seems the votes are for: Me :D Harold, Cinders and Cammie. I'll send a PM to the other 3 ASAP and we can get to really making this article good!
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
I suggest that something the moderators should do to keep the facts correct is every now and again, update the stuff that constantly changes, like the numbers of fans in the most popular spots.
smile
Thanks for the recommendation Hooch!