Fanpop We need to get our act together regarding KEYWORDS!

Cammie posted on Oct 06, 2008 at 02:57PM
I think it's great what the F4 have done with the new improved search feature, it is now a lot easier to find precisely what one is looking for. However, it is not going to help if users do not use keywords with their submissions. Over the past couple of days I've seen some awesome content (mainly images) being submitted but most of them did not have one single keyword. What's the point? How is anyone going to find what they were looking for without a reference to it?
This little forum piece was inspired by the fact that I was searching for images of Claire-aka-bob's cat Jasper but found zilch in the search engine. Now, I know that Claire keywords her stuff so I'm not too sure what the drill is here.

Fanpop 27 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
And of course, link
over a year ago germany123 said…
*nods*
i think people dont actually get how keywords work...
the new search has improved things..searching on spots for specific content (if you KNOW its there and correctly keyworded) is still a bitch as not all keywords appear on the "filter by keywords" option.

as for the whole keywording issue..i really dont know what to say anymore..over keywording is a problem..no keywords is a problem...i really have no clue how to solve it :S
over a year ago maybeastarbucks said…
Amen, sista.

Also, while we're talking about fan-peeves (pet peeves on Fanpop) billions of screenshots being uploaded from one episode of a TV show, drive me crazy. About 90 per cent of them are blurred and worthless. Also, keywords apply to what is in the image, not a general term pertaining to the fan club. If you insist on uploading thousands of screencaps for one episode, you should keyword what is in the image. For instance, if it is a screenshot of Chuck, Sarah, Morgan, and Casey from the show Chuck, the keywords should include chuck, sarah, morgan, casey, and if you're Krazy for Keywords, then add the actors names as well, but don't simply add chuck, [episode name] as your keywords, because that defeats the purpose of Fanpop's new (incredible) search features.
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
I get what y'all are saying, but, for me, I think it depends on how you use Fanpop in general. Personally, I don't search Fanpop for images, so I don't have any problems with under- or over-keywording. When I rate things, I take into account whether there are keywords and whether they are relevant and then rate accordingly. But as long as there some good, relevant keywords, I'm happy. So, using maybeastarbucks' example, putting "chuck", "(episode name)" and something like "image" or "screencap" is perfectly acceptable to me. But that is only because I have no need to search the Fanpop system to find images.
I guess it is kinda like rating, in that there are many different ways to keyword and we all have our own standards for what 'good keywording' is.
Don't get me wrong though: I do think these keywording issues are important!
over a year ago Snerkie said…
misanthrope, as much as you may not use Fanpop for images, there are thousand upon thousands upon millions of people that would stumble onto Fanpop looking for images. Fanpop is a huge database for fans to find things easily and that's why keywords are so important to get more people in to be able to use the site in an easy way.
over a year ago michael said…
Cammie,
You couldn't find Claire's recently uploaded images because they weren't being properly indexed by the new search. We've fixed that now - future images uploaded to Fanpop will be properly indexed and I'll fill in the gap (the images uploaded since the new search and today) next week (probably).
Yeah, I know that Snerkie. My point was that we all have different ideas about what constitutes 'good keywording' and that will be infulenced by how we use the site.
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
misanthrope86 but do you add images, I know you do but my question is this do you want those images to be able to be found or are you content with them just sitting there, because we are our own little community doesn't mean we don't get visitors who want to look.
Um, I think we are confusing our points! My point was only that people do things differently so everybody has their own opinions about keywording. I wasn't saying that current keywording practices are good or that I keyword any better or worse than anyone else. My point simply was that some people keyword in certain ways for certain reasons. That was all I was saying!
over a year ago Snerkie said…
I would love to know those certain ways and certain reasons :) Because really there is...

reason 1: key wording so people can find the image

reason 2: key wording basic for my own convenience of uploading

reason 3: too lazy to keyword

...one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong, can you tell me which thing, is not like the other by the time i finish my song ^_^
over a year ago amazondebs said…
okay loads of you know how iffy i am about keywords, mainly because the reason 2 and 3 on snerkies thing make me wonder why people bother uploading at all

however i do agree with misanthrope86

1.-not everyone thinks to search for the same keywords, while one person might search for screencaps from a specific episode, someone else might search for screen caps of a specific character

2.-not everyone can always think of as many keywords, for instance if someone designed a new medal for fanpop for fun other than
"fanpop medal"
i can't really think of anything else to add in there

3.-overly key wording can also be a massively annoying issue for example the other say i tried to search for a photo of a moon as i remeber seeing one darksarcasm had done in the photography spot but yet it took me ages and ages to find it because tons of stuff from twilight had the keyword "moon" in, i'm not sure why (one of the books named that?) but it was very annoying but a twilight fan will argue it's a important keyword....see disagreement....although i'm not having a go because i don't know (hehe that ryhmes)

so long as people are putting in the effort to try and keyword things with what they would search for, that's all we can ask and i'm not going to go round and personally talk to people just keep casually mentioning it in :)
last edited over a year ago
Amazondebs, you have articulated my thoughts exactly, only you did it much more clearly than I did!
over a year ago hellgirl223 said…
I agree...
over a year ago Sappp said…
One of the Twilights book is called 'New Moon'.

There is a lot of trouble correctly key-wording images (and sometimes other things, but less), I understand the troubles as laid out by debs and misanthrope.
But I see way to many images without ANY keywords (or image credit, but that's a whole different story). I personally don't mind that much: I don't use this site to get images and actually the number one reason I watch images in most spots is because I want to rate them. (Rating is fun! People should do it more often!).
Keywords are a part of my rating-habit too, if there are NO keywords I will easily rate a 1 or 2, if they are bad I will just sucstract 1 point from whatever total I would've given.
Might be harsh, but I think it's important people can find pictures.
yarrr the "moon" phenomenon is why i think we need to be able to limit the search to a spot...xcuse me..club!

i would like two different buttons underneath the search bar..one being "search this spot" and the other being "search fanpop.com" cant be that difficult technically can it??
i wouldnt know...but since the f4 manage to magic so much stuff im sure thats also possible :)
over a year ago Cammie said…
Everyone has made very relevant and valid points here, although not everyone is in total agreement. My only annoyance with lack of keywords is the fact that it makes it hard(er) to find something. I don't know how many people keyword the way I do (or would even agree that it's the correct way) but this is an example of my keywording in ,say, a photo of Samantha and Darrin in Bewitched:
bewitched,elizabeth montgomery,dick york,samantha stephens,darrin stephens,witch,photos
... if the image is a still or scene from a specific episode I will also add the episode's name.
I don't know if those keywords are excessive but I add them in order to facilitate searching by users.
Michael, thanks heaps, you rock! I've just been able to already find images by searching under "Jasper the cat," lol.
well the search has improved..but i just tried one of those keywords for fun "samantha stephens" and the first image result is this:
link

the keyword is "samantha bee" at least the rest of the images are actually related :P

then there are two articles..one from house m.d. and then another from the daily show :S

i dont get it...its not even keywords..just because the article body contains samantha- then again i dont get endless "samantha who" results!?
i am just so puzzled as to how the search actually works- or..not :D
Well, gemmy, I've just joined you in your puzzlement! I've just gone to that link too and all I can ask the F4 is "what's going on,dudes?"
For goodness sake, there is literally hundreds if images alone that have been keyworded with samantha stephens and yet not one relevant one has shown up. No wonder the bloody Bewitched spot is so deserted!
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
aww you were looking for Jaspie :D ♥
gerley you can search by spots

there's a filter by keywords buttons in spots :)
yarrrr my sweet i KNOW but not all keywords on the spot actually appear- remember when i showed you the letter sualey made on the HIMYM spot!?

so i am looking for..letter- barney

i filter barney
link

and then..nothing..no keyword "letter"
in this case i have spent time clicking
HIMYM-->images-->then i wonder is it under "fanart" or "photos"( i know its been there a while so it cant be in fanart)-->then i click on "more photos" --> then i click on "filter by keywords"--> then i filter "barney"-->only to see it doesnt offer me any other USEFUL keywords (like "ghost" or "letter") then i type in "letter" myself THAT doesnt work...then i decide to use the overall search which has now improved...and type in barney+ letter and then i find it..only to see that LETTER is in fact one of the keywords! of course it is,cause this is sualey we are talking aboot :)

so..why didnt i find it on the list!? on the spot!? correctly keyworded and all!?

*puzzled*
over a year ago astroasis said…
Hopefully, people will start keywording more now that there's a more noticeable benefit to it. I've always keyworded my submissions, but I admit that I never found keywords all that helpful until the new search came around.

It would be neat if there was a function... Like, once you have enough props or enough medals or something (just to limit trolls), you could edit the credit/keywords on other people's submissions. It would probably ease a lot of the strife over these issues.
Although it would most definitely be time consuming I must say I do like astro's idea. Okay, who got millions of props and medals that would like to volunteer... chel1395? Kathiria82?
i think if you have red in a spot you can add keywords to peoples submissions...

but in my example the picture was keyworded correctly :S
Well, gemmy, this is a repetition of what happened when I was searching for Jasper (I love that cat! lol) which Michael has somewhat amended now *hugs Michael* and also what you encountered when searching for Samantha under the keyword "Samantha Stephens". So obviously in some instances users are using the correct keywords but it's still not working. Michael has however made reference ^ to this being in the process of getting looked into.
yeah atroasis i can edit stuff in the buffy spot with my red medal and give it credit and keywords and even a description, i can not delete anything though or fanpop spazzes out (i wasn't being mean i was going to put the credit back i just wanted to see if the system could be abused)
oh tell you one thing that i don't think you can argue back on

embedding episodes from like youtube, youku ect ect should always have the name of the show, the season, the episode number and "full episode"
last edited over a year ago