Fanpop A Question For Older Fans

amazondebs posted on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:41PM
this is basically a question for the older fans i was just curious as to how the ratings worked when you used to be able to rate your own stuff

e.g.

did most people rate their content 5?
did you have to rate it?
could other people rate it too?

just curious to know really

Fanpop 10 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago germany123 said…
oops..maybe you should put " on fanpop for long time" cause i swear i clicked on this thinking i was being addressed "older user" :D
over a year ago dazl said…
I remember it like it was yesterday...

I rated some of my early contributions 5, but I think I stopped rating my stuff. Found it kind of pointless really.

You didn't have to rate your own stuff, and yes, other people could rate it.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
lol gerley age has no meaning on fanpop, only fanpop years count :P, we are a society run by two year olds :D

and spank you dazl, it sounds so odd, i can't really picture it, did it have a purpose like other people could see what you had rated it and thought of your content?

sorry it sounds odd, like when you look at the fanspot logo and stuff
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
lol germany thats what I thought too...lol
over a year ago knifewrench said…
I didn't start rating things until a few months after I joined, by that time the self-rating was disabled.
over a year ago Snerkie said…
i rated my stuff 5, yep, because i thought it was worth it since i was posting stuff of my best quality. I think sometimes people may notice the ratings bit if an item has been rated then rate it them self so like an encouragement i guess.
over a year ago meeee said…
Other people could see the ratings but didn't know who gave it, like now(Unless the piece of content had been added a second before the person saw and it said 5 stars).
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago harold said…
I feel qualified to answer this, since I'm an older user in both senses of the word.

Yes, everybody rated their stuff 5s, with two exceptions that I ever saw. Of course, I didn't see everyone, but I was very active on the site back then, and the user base was a bit smaller. My understanding is that the staff did away with self-ratings because it completely messed up the purpose of having ratings in the first place. If everything is rated AWESOME!!!!, there's no way to differentiate between the good, bad and just so-so content.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
thankyou old fans :)

over a year ago Cammie said…
I can't help you with your query as I have only been fanpopping since January (2008) but I am an "older" fan which is what I thought you were referring to. Ha!ha!