Fanpop Using Wiki For Pop Quizzes

amazondebs posted on Jul 10, 2008 at 07:19PM
by wiki i of course mean the website wikipedia
link
so far i have come across a fair few pop quizzes where they have put the wrong answer as right or simply not had the right answer and i have then informed the creater of the question for them to post a link to wiki saying it must be right because it's on there

or i have had people questioning my own pop quizzes as wrong because of what they have found on wiki

i beg people not to use this site for information! all but one these cases i have come across wiki was wrong (and yes of course i was right ;p) by all means find some interesting trivia on there as it can be a really good source but make sure you double check it from somewhere else, it will make the fanpop four's job a lot easier and stop me saying "i told you so"

basically this wasn't long enough to be a decent soapbox so i posted it here lol,

Fanpop 11 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago germany123 said…
i agree..as usual :)
and i wanted to post this reply ist not very informative or original but the forum looks so sad and empty otherwise :P
over a year ago amazondebs said…
lol gerley i agree is very informative ;p
over a year ago aholic said…
I have read an article that says this:

1. Wikipedia is not facts but leading informations
2. The Dutch royal family and American military once had to rewrite everything on a wikipedia site because it was all wrong
3. school children can change and write in wikipedia and they don't always know if it's true

I don't always trust wikipedia, but sometimes it's correct. Sometimes you just have to read ALL of it and not just one sentence.

Just use more sites for informations than wikipedia to confirm the facts.
over a year ago Snerkie said…
aholic #3 isn't just school people, it's anyone. Although some articles are locked sometimes, but yeah anyone of any age can change something, not just the kiddies mucking up.
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
i have changed on before, i cant remember witch one it was right now but it will come back to me.

when i use wiki for quizzes, i always cheak somewhere else after just to make sure its correct ♥
over a year ago Snerkie said…
i once put on the Yoda page "Yoda appeared at WWE's Wrestlemania 23 PPV" (or something like that) because he did...someone had a cardboard cut out of him in the crowd i could see :P oh and it lasted for quite a while until someone took all the facts down, lol...>_> i did nothing i mean
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
My friend has a famous dad and we sometimes edit his wikipedia page, (once it said something like this "he lives with his wife (I've forgotten her name but it said a name on the page) and his son Matthew who recently died after looking in the mirror and seeing his own reflection")
last edited over a year ago
Who would write something like that? :P

Also, people can write something because they hate the person and then other people believe it.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
lol you guys!

seriously though has anyone else had this problem
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
yes, i have had to correct a few people's quizzes before ♥
Someone once corrected me by wikipedia, but the person didn't read the whole article so I was right anyway.