Fanpop Wonky Medals?

amazondebs posted on Jul 06, 2008 at 10:27PM
okay this started from this pick
link

and i know the magic medal foruma is secret as it says in FAQ

"We have a magic scoring system that we like to keep secret so that we don’t promote abuse or gaming from users. Fanpop is about collaboration, not competition. All you need to know is that if you keep on contributing great stuff to the spot, you will be rewarded accordingly. Think of it like getting that bonus present under the Christmas tree that you weren’t expecting from Santa. It's that much sweeter when you get a surprise."

i am normally one of the first people to say to a new fan just keep on adding great stuff and enjoy it your medal will come and i generally go by this and accept that one day everyone will get their medals

however i keep noticing some people get medals for doing very little

e.g. i added about 10 videos to gossip girl and got a dedicated (i don't have it anymore because i unsubscribed)

and others add loads

e.g. a girl added loads of links keeping everyone up to date with writer strike in relation to gossip girl and the plans for carrying on the series and i don't think she still has a medal

and what about the bar of fans at the bottom, i always thought that showed the top contributers in that spot and yet on the dollhouse spot i'm on the far left followed by another user with a dedicated medal when i don't have one (a user who has added half as many images as me)

now i understand you also have to rate and comment and add different types of content and some spots get more attention that others ect ect
but these circumstances seem to be general flukes and i am only using my examples i see loads over fanpop where user who have added little and a lot of the time uncredited, unkeyworded content have medals and really dedicated users with loads have none

and i know it's blasphemous for me to question the almighty fanpop four but does anyone else think the medal system might be wonky?

Fanpop 77 replies

Click here to write a response...
Next

Showing Replies 51-77 of 77

over a year ago papa said…
Germany - we still don't require the image credit. I know there is a very vocal contingent on this site (many of them are all of you on this thread) wrt to this issue. But we don't require it for image submission.

One significant reason for this is that if we did, we'd expect many users to just post garbage info in the credit field.

Another is that by and large we work on the honor system. If you say it's yours or it came from your Uncle Fred, we believe you (frankly we lack the resources to investigate). Of course, when we get a take-down notice (which is rare) from a rights holder, we'll react swiftly.

But in the end it all comes down to prioritizing what we can get to and deal with along with managing all the myriad other issues on the site while still trying to roll out new features.

Oh and I noticed that earlier in the thread there was talk of marrying off Dave Lu. If you are single, and between the ages of 19-119 (and, better yet, independently wealthy) please give me a call and we'll try to arrange something for Dave ;-)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Cammie said…
Well, is DrDevience going to be pissed when she reads that Fanpop does NOT require image crediting, after all that lady has done to try and encourage it. Also,I think it is very unfair of papa to state that one of the main reasons image crediting is not enforced is because "we'd expect many users to just post garbage info in the credit field." That statement is not only unfair BUT offensive and a grave under-estimation of character for all those fanpoppers who DO insert the correct infor into the credit fields.
But putting image crediting aside, there does seem to be a certain discrepancy in regards to medal awarding. It might be a secret system that only the Fanpop 4 know about but what is it actually based on...
quantity of content?
quality of content?
how much contribution is made in a specific amount of time?
is the content rated?
If the latter has anything to do with medal giving than a lot of devoted, multi-contributing users are in trouble! Because there is a hell of a lot of decent content being submitted that just sits in a spot without ever being rated.
Eg. The Bewitched spot has 100 fans yet the ONLY user that ever rates my stuff (no one else seems to submit anyway) is DrDevience. Although some users make comments on stuff I've submitted into that spot and have even given me props, they don't bother to rate it.
WTF! Is it going to kill you to rate someone's image or video when you're already looking at it?
I do have a green medal for the Bewitched spot but in all honesty (at the risk of seeming conceited)I think I should have a yellow one. Why?
Because I'm about the only user out of 100 that has added a great many links, images, videos, quizzes into that spot.
Having said that I will also confess that only a few weeks ago I deleted about 130 images from the Bewitched spot but that was because some bitch was uploading most of those images into her own created spot on another site (although she is also a fanpopper)and giving herself full credit for it. I'd emailed this person and told her that some of the pictures were actually bought and solely owned by me and she kept on doing it. But that's neither here nor there where the medal issue is concerned.
The point that everyone is trying to make (that has commented here) is that we believe the medal-giving business is slightly shoddy!
over a year ago Snerkie said…
"Also,I think it is very unfair of papa to state that one of the main reasons image crediting is not enforced is because "we'd expect many users to just post garbage info in the credit field." That statement is not only unfair BUT offensive and a grave under-estimation of character for all those fanpoppers who DO insert the correct infor into the credit fields."

i am sure papa meant it in no way to offend any one here that does the right thing and credits, but a lot of people just post when they find something, may not have previously noted where they found it and will put "jsdhuj" or "i don't know" or even "myself" ...or "the internet". It WILL happen because some people will do that with the image titles, so image credit isn't going to help and just create a big spam of a thing.

Also, i think a good example of "compare" for quality vs. quantity is that on the Professional Wrestling spot i have posted some great quality photos and they all have a good amount of views on them. Compared to say hundreds of icons posted because they're a bit batch just posted for the sake of it, they'll have less views and comments.

"I'd emailed this person and told her that some of the pictures were actually bought and solely owned by me and she kept on doing it."

If you own the rights to an image that you don't want to see spread across the internet without being acknowledged add a watermark to it (try and make it small for the sake of happy fans enjoying the image and not on peoples faces...seen it before, lol)

As i do think that there are problems at times with the system, i also highly appreciate the creator and coder of it. Coding is a horrible job, you mess one thing up and the whole thing breaks so i thank who ever(s) does that :)
over a year ago amazondebs said…
okay on the image credit issue, while after reading arguments against making it mandatory, i do agree with it (sorry but if a company were to demand eveything in a certain tv spot with out correct credit to be taken down it would be so much harder to find those that have like snerkie said just put "njhfkskh" or something rather than find those with the image credit field empyty) anyways it would be nice if it was considered in the magic forumla though :D

hmmm although i agree with you on that snerkie, i just don't think it's fair that users that contribute in highly viewed spots like the office have fanatics for the same amount that would be die hard or even a dedicated (i'm not suggesting all medals in the office weren't earnt, just a e.g.) so should their be a limit on the amounts of views that add to medals points?

as for your bewitching problem cammie, i will go over there and take a look, maybe we could hand that over to the VRSOF?

anyways thanks so much papa for be so understanding and listening to us mere users, props coming your way,
i love this site and it means a lot that you listen to us and consider what we say,
I agree with you debs about the bulk post earning medals in some spots that are bigger (especially the office spot...drives me nuts that spot at times) But i think that creating the medal system would be very very difficult.

It'd be formulated like...10 views are needed, if not 5 highly rated items = green medal (forgot the proper wording for that stuff, lol) but it'd be difficult for them to find that middle area where to make it not easy but try and have it fair at the same time.

One way that could create a fairness (i'd hope) is to possibly limit...or take away huge bulk posting. 10 in one go i think is fair and this could make some people go "ah too much work" that plan on bulk posting for medals. There could be exceptions too i guess for trust earned members (mostly screencap posting people) but i think that bulk posting can create the problem.
over a year ago DrDevience said…
If you do not mind people posting stolen images, hey, that is your business.

But to reward those people with medals is bullshit.
over a year ago Cammie said…
Told ya she'd be pissed off!
over a year ago germany123 said…
papa said:
Germany - we still don't require the image credit. I know there is a very vocal contingent on this site (many of them are all of you on this thread) wrt to this issue. But we don't require it for image submission.

well i find- and that i the point i am making..me be german sorry- that people who dont put a credit also have bad keywords and no descriptions. its all connected ( yep, like everything in this universe :))

i rarely see an image that has a funny description, good keywords but no credit.

sualey ( saul_mikoliunas) almost always gets 5* from me on the HIMYM spot ( my home) because she adds content that is enjoyable- she always puts something either funny (most of the time actually) or informative in the description. keywords and credit are always there. and that takes much more time and effort than to just upload 50 icons i found somewhere tag them "spot name" and "all characters on the friggin planet" and hit upload.

if i am making a pick i will look for images of one specific character..and will use an image that has the characters name in the keywords because that is the image i will find.

a lot of times we will have very enjoyable comment conversations about peoples dress sense or the great image caption she put..

in that way the content is of much higher quality than anything that was uploaded by someone who put no description, 3 generic keywords and no credit. i will never use the image, will never rate it and never comment on it.

yet both recieve a medal for it...

its not my legal problem if someone demands the images to be taken down but i do notice the the difference in quality between those who upload for the community and those who upload for themselves (i.e. i just want to add lots of content and get a medal)

that being said i do understand that it would be very complicated to alter the medal system accordingly...
Crediting is getting a lot better. Heaps better from say 6 months ago when it was barely acknowledged but you know not everyone out there is going to understand image crediting, people understand sharing but not always crediting. It is unfair in a way that if they don't try at all and just posting for medals but some people just don't understand it and i'm not going to hold a gun at that persons head for that. I've left comments on some images if i know the photographer or where ever the image came from saying "Image credit to: Batman" but i think even quality posting could go down if it was forced or jibberish will be put in that box which will confuse some people.

Also there's then the debate of people not asking for credit for something, what do you do then? should i be shamed if i posted a photo i've taken and i don't want to force credit on people?

edit: germany do you only give 5* for things with a description? or is that just a "i like to see descriptions but in my eyes not mandatory"??
actually i rarely give oot 5*
of course a description is not mandatory...but if you post really great content ( images, videos, links) you WANT to put a description for your fellow fans. i know that if i find something funny for the HIMYM spot i can already predict the conversations we will have aboot it. and that- for me- is half the fun of fanpop.

i saw a picture on the fanpop users spot yesterday that had nothing..no credit, no keywords no description...i left a comment saying the ratings might improve if they added credit and keywords but really even then i wouldnt give more than 4 because i am completely puzzled by the purpose unless it said something like: this is me on holiday..or thats my brother..or my boyfriend or whatever
if a person does not want credit it should be
image credit: public domain
wiki uses a lot of images like that and according to drd it's all kosha and so i intrust in that

i think giving die hards the power to bulk post is those that are trusted
hmm...if i do post a description i use it as like an add on from the title then i post my opinion as a separate post so it can be among other opinions (especially if it's a video and could spoil it) was curious how people decide on that part.

debs, i never knew that was the way to acknowledge something not needing/wanting to be credited. Yeah all wiki images have to be under creative commons i think (i noticed photos i had taken up the other day and i'd taken more but hadn't changed the licence, i did and then they were snatched up, lol)
well..thats what i meant- if you put it in the description box or in a comment i dont care..
over a year ago kathiria82 said…
Thanks Debs for alerting me to this forum. I posted a similar link a while back because the abuse with the medals is bullshit. I`m sick and tired of people acting so desperate for acknowledgement on here that they cheat to get medals. I have been posting a ridiculous amount of content for more than a year and now it`s that I`m starting to earn all my medals. There are people who post and in a matter of weeks already have a red medal, it`s ludicrous. I don`t care who I offend because if I really wanted to I would list all the cheaters. The sad part is that they still get rewarded and are still active hypocrites on the site. They just want to get recognized for something they didn`t put in any effort into.
this is taken from a forum titled "how to get medals for spots"

i try to rate everything on this spot, ESPECIALLY the videos. so whenever i have nothing to do i will flick through the videos and rate them.

you don't have to watch them! i see that usual there are only 3 or 4 people that have rated a video...and there are 600 odd fans!

there are so many people who deserve medals, so everyone get rating!
the medals will come flying in!
:)

i love the "you dont have to watch them part" in case you were wondering why i posted this...:P
and i dooo love the freudian slip or whatever you call it in english

obviously you have to add a lot of contest(!!)

erm yes..you have to really add more contest :D
sorry germany i'm having a uber blonde moment your german logic is clearly superior to mine...what's you point?
my point is...whats my point *scratches head*
erm- can i get back to you on this one?

no seriously..the point is: the medal system is wonky! i dont know how to change it..i am not saying that...but if people are just going to rate withoot looking at the content!? and give it 5* withoot knowing what they are rating or if the video is broken and should be reported!?
that means the medal system loses its purpose!
(yes i realise its only PART of the problem but still)
ok..i am guilty of doing this when i told everyone to rate sualeys content on the famous kisses spot..for her birthday. but she only has great content anyway: and i DID expect anyone who rated to look at the content!
germany you hit the nail on the head as to why i hate the bunch of letters rating spot (you know the spot where people go "THIS SPOT HAS NO RATINGS, GO RATE STUFF") i feel with this stuff people will just go and rate stuff without even viewing it and also JUST because the person is a well known user on here doesn't mean they always post good (seriously, not pointing fingers but some people that are well known are horrible at key wording since they'll bulk upload)
ahhh right yeah i got your general gist but went back and read the whole thing made so much more sense in my mind
viewing content is a big thing in the rating spot, no broken content gets reported that way, and well...my mind has just gone lol too late too much organizing...bad thing lol
well i am no longer a member of the VRSOF :)
just cause even though its a good idea in theory it sucks in reality!

i am however still a member of the atsof and had a funny conversation aboot "trolled content" which was just broken (should be reported, not rated low). the user reported it, i checked almost all content was broken vids and told them, they removed it BUT
i am fairly sure that a lot of people would have just gone there rated all the stuff a 5* ( to make up for the evil 1*) and the broken links would continue to sit there..and the user is rewarded :)

though i am very good at pointing oot the faults here: I have no solution!
the majority of users dont really care, people wont change their ways, its the same 10 people (i have said this before somewhere) talking aboot the same 10 things..agreeing and then..nothing!

my personal solution- now that i have become so disillusioned with this "medal subject"- is to focus more on props like papa already mentioned.
because with those i get all fuzzy inside when i read the nice message and when i see others who have 180 comment props i may see that half of them have the message : WHERE R U? I WAZ ON MSN. U ROCK! MEET ME ON MYSPACE
i know mine are worth double :)
props are like little individual wrapped gifts :) like at christmas, you all want that big present but once you've unwrapped it you've got nothing else to unwrap and that's the fun of presents!! But with props you can get lots and so there's lots of presents to be surprised by and unwrap :D
over a year ago aholic said…
Image credit should always be used, what's wrong with writing 'uncle Fred' in the box if it really is his image? Every picture has an image credit. And in case you take something from google, create a new folder, save the picture so that it's called whatever the person who took it is called. It's really easy.

If you don't want to because it takes longer time, then you obviously don't have enough time to upload it. You have to calculate that into your time-system. (Yes I have an uploading-time system, SO WHAT? :P)
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
I just saw Papa's comment about Dave and gosh darnit, I'm one year too young =D
And in case you take something from google, create a new folder, save the picture so that it's called whatever the person who took it is called. It's really easy.

HUH?? i dont geddit :/

p.s. i fit right into dave's age group
*starts playing with hair*
*bats eyes and looks around*
daaaaave?