Fanpop Running Out of Content?

Cinders posted on Jun 29, 2008 at 11:06PM
I received a request from ShadowFlame to start a forum post about medals and content.

His concern is what happens when all quality content has already been added to a spot? Will it be exceedingly more difficult for newer fans to find quality content to already super popular spots (Heroes, the Office, etc) which will make it near impossible to obtain even a dedicated medal because all good content has already been added by the older fans.

EDIT: Or is there a time factor in obtaining medals? If you've been a member of a spot for a long time and consistently rate, would that have any impact on your medals?

I think that's the gist of it. Anything you want to add, ShadowFlame?
last edited on Jun 29, 2008 at 11:18PM

Fanpop 12 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Snerkie said…
I think there will ALWAYS be content out there to post, whether you can find it or not. There's always photo shoots that haven't been put into highly publicised magazines, appearances ALL the time. Also newer members could think of good quizzes and picks that older members may not have thought of which is still top quality.

The only way a spot can run out of top quality things is if that person/thing a) dies (even then there's stuff like fan art and such) or b) falls on the side of the planet never to be seen again.
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
I think you are right to a certain extent Snerkie, but for some people it isn't easy to find that content. Sometimes I find obscure things and then go the spot and find that someone has already posted it. So I definately sympathise with people who can't find anything new to contribute to a spot.
Also, there have recently been a few new members in the House MD spot that have posted repeat images etc, but I think it is because there are soooooooooo many images in that spot that new people don't have the time or energy to look through all the images. So I never rate such things low because of that.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago amazondebs said…
if i see a repeat image and i know where the original is i alert the user and so far i have never had anyone not thank me (wonder why people are so touchy about image credit then)

this sound a bit weird but what does it matter what medal you have in a spot?

i guess if shadowflame really wants one the garenteed way to get one and not repeat content is to create your own, make really random picks about could be storyline, find some weird trivia, make icons, fan arts and wallpapers, make fan videos, write a soapbox about why so and so should be with so and so or a soapbox about the issues the tv program deals with ect ect

the best and most quality content is the original content
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
dont get me wrong, i love adding content but you dont need a medal in the spot just to show how much you love something
eventually some spots will run out of cantent to add, say in like a spot for a movie or an old tv programme there is only limited amounts you can add in the spot but you can still view, rate and camment all the content that has already been added. ♥
over a year ago ToastedRabbits said…
I really hope that time is a factor, that rating and commenting can eventually get you a medal. I'm sure it would take more time when you're not adding content, but feedback is a big portion of the site, too.

Despite what debs and claire said, I love my medals. Sure, I don't need them, but it's nice to have something to show for my dedication and time I've put into the spot. I'm pretty sure everyone loves to see a new medal on their page and is glad everyone else can see it. Granted, you will most likely be recognized within the spot if you're always commenting and rating. Everyone who isn't a fan of that spot, or who is a fan and just isn't very active would never really know your dedication. Which, again, I suppose it doesn't really need to be proven.

There is a lot of content out there, though. Really great stuff hidden where it hasn't been recognized. It's harder to find, I'm sure. But with the lack of content could make in increase in the quality. That, or a whole bunch of crappy stuff. And like debs said, you can create your own content. But some people can't make images, or videos, or maybe they're not creative enough to write a nice soapbox. You shouldn't have to rely on your own artistic skill to get medals, in my opinion.

edit;;
Someone should test the theory out. Trying to get a medal without adding content. Just rate tons and tons of images and comment on a lot of stuff, see if that eventually gets someone a medal.
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
Things can develop, I think my medal for the scrubs spot may have come more from replies to my forums than from content added.
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
Yeah amazondebs, thats why I have given up telling people that they have posted a repeat image. They either don't respond and leave it there, or they get angry and tell you to bugger off!

And ToastedRabbits, I am working my way through all the spots that I belong to, rating and commenting on all the content. In some spots I have rated thousands and thousands of things, but I haven't recieved a medal in any of those spots. So I'm not sure that it works that way. It would be cool though, because if people thought you could get a medal for rating then they would probably rate more!
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
yes you dont always get a medal for rating things
i mean on the sweeney todd spot there is not one thing i haven't rated and i didn't get a medal for ages. but i know some people who have got a medal just on rating and commenting things before ♥
we will never know the fanpop magic formula but i don't think there's such a thing as running out of content

even if people can't make images or vids they can always make picks and soapboxes and be creative that way, also the fanpop four are always coming up with new features like the pop quiz for us to add more content
over a year ago harold said…
A quick question, first: why didn't Shadowflame post his own question?

To answer the question, which is "What happens when all the quality content has been added to a spot?", I'll offer these:

* a lot of lesser quality content will be added
* comments and forum threads will continue if there are still fans
* If there are still fans, they will make sure that they've rated all content
* If there are still fans, they will police the links, reporting broken or expired links
* Fans may leave or stop participating, depending on the type of spot (some spots are more likely to stay alive with discussions than others)
* If there aren't fans, the spot will remain for others to discover in future generations (possibly through the super quiz or through rabid rating quests)
* The linked content will eventually disappear from the web, as all content does in time
* Fanpop will eventually shut down
* Our sun will cool to a red dwarf as it finishes burning all its mass
* the Universe will end with the cessation of all atomic motion (heat death)

That's all to answer the question "what will happen when all quality content has been added", but like many others in this thread, I think that's it's a hypothetical question that does not apply to spots in the real Fanpop.
ha ha ha ha your too funny!
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
lol