Fanpop Introducing Fan Picks!

dave posted on May 11, 2007 at 01:19AM
Most of you will notice that our frontpage has changed a little bit as of this afternoon. Videos have moved down and there's this new thing called Fan Picks now. We've been working hard here at Fanpop headquarters and after a lot of Michael's blood, sweat and tears, we are proud to unveil this new feature for all you fans.

Picks are a fun new way to express yourself and voice your opinions about your favorite subjects. It's also a way for you to ask other fans what they think! Now you can ask other Spidey fanatics who their favorite nemesis is. Or ask foodies what their favorite type of cheese is. Or ask Heroes fans who they think will blow up New York. Or ask American Idol fans who will win this season. I think you get the idea. :)

So go crazy and start answering some questions here or in your favorite spots:
link

Or go ask some questions in your favorite spots by clicking on the 'Picks' in the gray menu bar.

If you want to see what a Fan picked and whether they think Yoda or Obi-Wan is the greatest Jedi of all, go to their profile page and click on the 'Picks' link in the menu bar. You can learn a lot about a person!

We think you'll all have a lot of fun with Picks, we know we already have! Can't wait to see all the cool questions you guys come up with!

Fanpop 10 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago benji said…
I may have gone a bit crazy on this new feature.
over a year ago cressida said…
I HAVE gone crazy on this new feature. So addicting!
over a year ago papa said…
Haha, thanks for making all those great picks benji and cressida. All the fanpop employees are addicted too..we keep passing around newly made "picks" as well as the great ones folks like you two are making.

We're finding this to be really fun feature, but there's still room for improvement. Please let us know if you have any suggestions in this area or ways we can make it easier for you to create a "pick" (one area we are definitely looking at is how to make it easier to find images and deal with cropping them).

Oh, and if you haven't played with the profile page yet, I'm finding it a GREAT way to get to know other fans on the site. The picks they make are like a mini-biography of sorts. Very cool.
Any chance of being able to make polls multiple choice? Like, I dunno, your vote 'power' gets divided in half by voting for two things?
over a year ago MissSkuldandy said…
The picks are new? O.O They're so famous I thought they've been here since... forever :D

I now, i'm dumb, but i'm also new to this stuff xD
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
How about a pick picture?

For example, benji has done the 'Who should Kate end up with?' in the Lost Spot, with Jack & Sawyer with their pictures as choices. However, it would be handy to have a picture of Kate there when viewing the pick list instead of the spot's icon.
I now, i'm dumb, but i'm also new to this stuff xD

--

We were all new at some point, we've got to start somewhere! ^.^
over a year ago smackdabish said…
I love these!
over a year ago cressida said…
One thing I'm noticing that's a tad odd is that on my profile's pick page my "recently picked" & "recently created" are the same. That is, I would have assumed that "recently created" would show only the picks I created, but I still see pick polls others created under that heading. If that is intentional (and I'm just missing the reasoning behind it), a new cool feature would to show JUST the picks that user had created so others could see their picks contributions and so said user could easily look at the answers/percentages their picks are getting. This all said by the girl who's banning herself from making a new pick for at least two days.
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
cressida, you can't ban yourself from making picks, you've made some really good ones!

I may have set a record for the amount of choices too, 42 on Ash's best Pokemon in the Pokemon Spot.

Took some getting around though. Could only add one choice at a time after 20, then I had to preview, add one, preview etc. Managed to do it though. :)