Fanpop Help: Medals

Sophiii posted on Apr 14, 2008 at 08:45AM
Me and my friend cordeiro have been thinking about these medals.
Do you get them automaticly or does someone have to actually give it to you?
If it is automatic (like we think), there is something very wrong with the system.
For example,
I have added 38 pictures and 1 video to the "Veronica and Logan"-spot, and have a "Dedicated fan" medal.
But then again, I have added 51 images, 4 videos and 2 links to the Jason Dohring spot, and nothing. They have all been well rated etc.
Or the other option is that they are given another way. In that case, it would be nice to know what that-other-way is.
last edited on Apr 14, 2008 at 05:48PM

Fanpop 11 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago cordeiro said…
Jep, it would be nice to know. I also think Pamela is very cute, but I'm not sure about her being a boy..
over a year ago Snerkie said…
it also depends on views, not only ratings and also comments i would guess come into it too. I think it would be an automatic thing calculated but i'm not sure about that (i just guessed that because it'd take a looonnngg time to do it with someone going through content or whatever)
over a year ago DrDevience said…
It is auto, but a live person is randomly checking them before they go out now I believe.

Popularity of your submission makes a big difference... so keywording is everything. If people can't find them on google, you won't get the hits towards that medal...
over a year ago harold said…
The award of medals is automatic, based on a formula that is hinted at in the FAQ.

As for keywords, I'll repeat that they are very important. That's true of any search catalog, not just Google's. More importantly, it's true of the Fanpop search function itself, which has a much stronger effect on whether content is viewed on Fanpop than any external search catalog.

I don't believe that comments enter into it, except in so far as the commenter is viewing the page in order to enter the comment, but as the FAQ says "starting active forum topics and picks" is a factor. Behavior I've observed lends me to think that the size of the spot (that is, the number of fans) is also a factor...that is to say that it seems less likely that one will get a medal in a spot with few fans than with a spot with hundreds (much less thousands) of fans, even if the ratings and views are the same. But that's pure conjecture...all of this is, since the staff are intentionally mum on the current formulae for medal awards.
over a year ago cordeiro said…
alright,Thanks :p^^
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Sophiii said…
eeexcellent. Yeah, I was thinking that the popularity of the spot makes a difference. But then again, again, cordeiro got a medal from the Steven Gerrard-spot that has 12 fans..
over a year ago Cinders said…
I have a few "dedicated fan" medals I don't think I really deserve (not that I'm complaining but that's not too cool.) For example, I have one in Firefly and all I've really added to that spot is a bunch of fan art and maybe one link. I also have one in Michael Buckley spot and I haven't been adding much there as of late...

It is an odd system, whatever it is. *Shrugs.*
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
Yeah, I think it quite a complicated system, because I got a dedicated fan medal in a spot that I (at that point) had only contributed 4 pictures, 1 article and about 5 picks. Yet I have contributed hundreds of things in some spots (making sure that I had a whole bunch of keywords and proper credits, thanks to DrDevience's advice!) and don't have a medal for those spots. I think if you just keep contributing regularly the medals will evetually come.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
i think rating also comes in to as well, as I havn't added anything to that 70's show except from maybe 10 vids but i've rated a lot of stuff in there and it's status on my highest medals on spots went way up

i wouldn't worry about it, if you just carry on adding for fun and don't think about it will seem like you get medals quicker :)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Sophiii said…
;D absolutley :D I'm not really that worried, just really, really puzzled. The fun in fanpop isn't really the medals.
But thanks, this really helped. Now I can get to sleep again (lol)
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Spot popularity I do not think counts.. not much at any rate. I have a medal in a spot with only 3 fans.