Buffy the Vampire Slayer Why do we like them?

NikaDawson posted on Mar 15, 2008 at 06:05AM
I was thinking about my favorite characters and I was noticing something. The characters I adore the most are usually either evil at some point, still evil, or morally questionably.

Spike, Drusilla, Darla, Angelus, Willow, Faith, Illyria, even Wesley at some point was going down a dark path and they are my favorite characters in the Whedonverse. I do have some mostly good favorite characters in shows and movies and books, but they are few and far between to the more darker characters I seem to prefer.

My question is, why do you think some of us prefer those characters over the character's that are purely good?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago nosemuffin said…
I think it's charisma based. I like a lot of the same characters that you do, but I also like some lighter ones, on Buffy and other shows.
over a year ago NikaDawson said…
I do like some of the lighter ones as well, but I find the really moral hero type character's tend to annoy me. I don't know why, cause aren't those the character's we should be emulating or something, lol.

Like in Smallville, I can't stand Clark Kent, but I love Lex Luthor, lol. And Lex wouldn't be someone I wanted to emulate, hehe.

Maybe it is the charisma, cause the evil character's usually are dripping with it.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago amazondebs said…
they have far more charisma they are often funnier
but when it comes down to it, i think it's just sex appeal, that bad ass attitude that we all need help to stay away from lol

i wrote a soapbox on it if you want to read it
link