Buffy the Vampire Slayer Concerning Tara

Cinders posted on Mar 03, 2008 at 03:51AM
What do you folks find appealing about her? To me she was an especially bland, underdeveloped character. I didn't feel she was enough of a challenge for Willow, and I don't think their personalities meshed very well. This is my personal opinion, I know a lot of people love her but...

On the plus side, Tara lovers, I do quite like Amber Benson as an actress, and "Under Your Spell" is one of my favorite songs from OMWF.

But Tara as a character just got under my skin. I felt like Joss just tossed her in there half-baked and two-dimensional.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 8 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago nosemuffin said…
I agree with you for seasons 4 and 5. She did grow on me in season 6. I think her romantic problems with Willow and finally showing real human interaction with another character besides Willow, through her growing friendship with Buffy, kind of made her finally a little more than two-dimensional.
over a year ago buffyfan said…
no, she is my fave character. why don't you like her :^(
over a year ago Cinders said…
I just said why I don't like her. So why is she your favorite, out of curiosity?
over a year ago amazondebs said…
i like the under your skin pun cinders :)

i love tara she's so timid and sweet, but yet shes not bland she more
mysterious
infact we know really nothing about her until family

why do you say she was not a challenge for her? does every relationship have to be a challenge? they're just so content with one another

she's not one of my favorite characters but i do love her
over a year ago TheCountess said…
I really liked Tara, and her relationship with Willow too (until Willow messed up). I think that things may have seemed slow starting off, but I think that was intentional. She was insecure, and also hiding from her own fears... in a way, kind of a wallflower. When you're not sure of yourself, you don't tend to be too outgoing, and kind of just hang in the back. That didn't mean that there wasn't a special person waiting to offer of herself given the chance. I thought Amber was sincere, and did a wonderul job at portraying Tara.
I personally disliked Kennedy more. I thought that she just took advantage of Willow. There wasn't really any character development to show why Willow would even have given in to her. The only thing that showed, was the fact that Willow was vulnerable after losing Tara.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
yeah i think also bringing her more out of her shell was very intentional in s6 too as she sings in omwf "i lived my life in shadow" which implies along with what she talks about in the body and family that she hasn't really had much of a life until she meet willow which makes it all the more tragic that she dies when she has finally found herself
over a year ago x-missmckena-x said…
i have to say i agree with you cinders, also wiht the song cuz i love that song! i can see where everyon is coming from its just she still comes off as bland to me, and yer they start to show us aspects of her but it was never really enough!
over a year ago angels said…
tara was sweet. she was a girl who noone seemed to care about until she met willow. with willow's help she was coming out of her shell. she sort of reminded me of myself. strong but very timid and nervous about things.