Twilight Series I don't think twilight is all that special

Mcmadness posted on Feb 11, 2010 at 03:36AM
I saw the movies and I've read the books and I have to say I was underwhelmed.
I don't see the reason why people like it so much.
It doesn't have interesting characters and the plot is fairly cliched.
Plus it doesn't seem to be very romantic.
If you like it that's fine I have no problem with that but I think it's nothing special.
Though this is just me.
You might say other wise.

Twilight Series 64 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 64

over a year ago DWLoverTBCEDT said…
cool
Ok fine, then get off our site. We like it, we think it's something special. Thank you, have a nice day.
over a year ago KatiiCullen94 said…

i've seen so many of these on this site and now i jsut laugh cause like !!!

over a year ago Mcmadness said…
But I want to know WHY you like it WHY is it so special?
Because I just don't see it.
Something I like to do is find out why people like things or why people come up with things like "mylifeistwilight.com"
I don't call it underwhelming to piss you off I say it to get an understanding because if I say it anywhere else I just get mindless twilight fangirls/fanboys who just flame me and call me a moron.
I don't want to start an argument I just want to get an understanding
over a year ago Hellohoudini said…
smile
I think its special because I love vampires and Stephenie Meyer put a whole different twist on them. I love that they can go out in the daylight...I love that they try to fit in with humans...I love that a human fell in love with a vampire and his family...I love that a vampire fell in love with an ordinary human. I love that long time emenies came together and made a unit front when it was needed. I love the over all message of the series..."love knows no bounds". I'm not mad at you for not liking Twilight and I respect you for coming on here and asking a question without the naming calling or the put downs. We all cant like the same things...what a boring world that would be..right?
Well that's nice of you to say :) and I can see why you like twilight you put it into an understanding point of view.
I hope other people will understand that.
Because I would love to hear more people talk about there reasons for liking it.
over a year ago mandapanda said…
smile
let me just say, you have guts coming to a twilight fan site and stating that you don't find anything special about it. There may be yelling. lol But, you said it in a nice way, so I don't think anyone could get mad at you. lol

Each twilight fan who had read the books first, way before the movies came out, will have different reasons why they love the series. And I say "each twilight fan who had read the books first, way before the movies came out" because it is very hard to depict which of the fans like it for the story or for the shirtless and "hot" guys.

Anyways, each fan likes it for different reasons. They may like it because they can relate to the characters. Even though the characters are mythical, they are very much human. They have humanistic qualities. Another reason could be for the fantasy. I mean, i know the mythical characters (vampires, werewolves) are different from stereotypical vampires and werewolves, but it's unique like that.

What they get from the story? That's up to every person. Whether the love story or just plain, luisure reading, each person likes the story for different reasons.

Me? I'm just a sucker for human/vampire relationships. I don't know why. lol And, I just love it that the Cullens are vampires. Their kind, known as monsters and killers, yet, they try and be better than what they are known for. They use their special abilities to help those who need saving, trying to redeem themselves. I freaking love that!

And, I thank you for stating your "problem" with twilight so civilized. Usually, if there are haters, they usually just yell and call it stupid or those who like it stupid.
last edited over a year ago
Well I may have come off a bit as just your average twilight hater at first but that was my fault for not being very clear.
And I thank you for being understanding.
I have tried this before but when I did people just insulted me before giving me a chance.
I would like to point out while I feel that twilight isn't what it's hyped up to be, I don't hate it I'm just not that into it that's all.
^^that's true. the books aren't that well written. And, it isn't what it's hyped up to be. That's exactly true. I too wonder that.

But, i'm sure the hype will pass. It just takes time. After the next three movies: Eclipse, Breaking Dawn Part 1, and part 2, then i'm sure the hype will die out.
Yeah most likely just like everything else out there.
Still I do feel that some people get way to mad at others for having different opinions on twilight.
some people just don't know how to handle controversial topics or simple topics such as these. it's fine though. hypes fade away. i just ignore it. :)
I can ignore it for the most part but sometimes they can get really mean and personal.
^^ Even as a Twilight fan, I get yelled at for liking Edward more than Jacob. IDK what it is. But, don't take it personally. they don't know you, so they can't really say anything and mean it. The thing is not to fight fire with fire. You'll just get a bigger fire. We can't really do anything but ignore it, you know? If you've done all you can to calm the situation down, then they have the growing up to do. :)
Yeah I guess your right it isn't really that big of a deal in he long run.
Just out of curiosity why do you like edward more?
I like him more because, even though he is deemed perfect by the media and some of the fans, he's not. He has flaws. I'm sure many Jacob fans will tell you he is abusive and controlling. I do agree with the controlling, but abusive? No. An abuser usually abuses people because they feel the need to have more power. To be the better, stronger person. To be in control. Edward, although he in controlling, doesn't do it for him. He does what he thinks is safe for Bella, even if that means Bella being mad at him. Everything he does is for her. Her safety, her life, everything. He's completely selfless when it comes to her. and, he's a vampire. His conclusions are going to be a little more extreme than humans. lol

Jacob, on the other hand, is controlling and immature. Not that he doesn't have good traits. I like his friendliness, and I like his bright attitude, but if I wanted a friend like that, I would much rather have Seth as a friend because, Jacob has his icky qualities. He is emotionally abusive. He plays on Bella's feelings. He laughs at her when she breaks her hand. He forces himself on her after Bella told him (many times) that she didn't think of him that way. He is a nice kid. But that's the thing. He's a kid. He's got some serious growing up to do. Especially when it comes to consideration of other people's feelings.
Well I guess that makes sense.
Still in terms of plot I don't see what is so special about Bella.
Perhaps you could clarify?
LOL actually, alot of fans don't find anything special about Bella. I think the audience is aware that she is a normal teenage girl. However, Edward and Jacob's fascination with Bella, I can see to some degree.

Edward is a vampire. And having the ability to read minds, he knows the average human. For 100+ years, before Bella, it was his mind with everyone elses. He learned the ways of humans and vampires. Nothing was a surprise to him. Except Bella. Her being the only person he can't predict, therefore, he was fascinated by her. And, her blood. Being his "singer", her blood appeals to him also. But that's besides the point. What drew him in was not only her blood, but her unusual state of mind. He doesn't know what she is thinking and that is completely new to him.

Jacob however, it started as a little boy crush. Then evolved into a stronger "love". However, it was revealed that his "love", or intense draw, for Bella was actually because of her unborn child Renesmee (don't even get me started on the ridiculousness of Breaking Dawn. lol)

So, i guess she does have some unusual qualities. It's all under the surface. It depends on how you interpret the story or how deep you look into the story. On the surface, she's this teenage girl with a crazy obsession with Edward. However, under the surface, she is insecure, yet a strong mental state of mind. She's sure of what she wants, she's determined, yet she's the weakest link. It's all quite contradictory, but it works somehow. Yeah, she's whiny, and sometimes not deserving of the blessings in her life, but hey. She's relatable. Every reader relates to her or embodies her. She's the vessel of the story.
Well when you put it in that way it does make a bit more sense but still there are a few plot holes I find here and there.
Yes I agree...Bella is relatable...she's not super model gorgeous...she's kinda of a loner...I love that Stephenie Meyer made her a huge clutz...(thats me..always tripping over something)...I really like that school and homework were important to Bella...I like that her mother though loving is kinda a space cadet and that her father was a loving dad who was shy about showing his feelings outright (so true of alot of dads today)...and I really love that Stephenie Meyer kept it "clean"...it was nice to read soemthing that wasnt loaded up with cuss words (I try never to cuss in real life..and its alot harder than you think!) and really graphic sex scenes. I know she took alot of heat for some of the scenes in Breaking Dawn..but compared to alot of stuff out there...they were pretty mild.
over a year ago justinisdabest said…
meh
how do u not like this series
Why? I don't know it just doesn't appeal to me that's all.
I don't find the characters to be that memorable (well at least to me). The story isn't all that special in the long run (once again this is just me) and I found that I was able to predict a lot of what was going to happen. In fact the only thing that surprised me was that vampires sparkle in the sunlight. But I'm not going to get into that. Oh and there were some plot holes here and there as well. Plus I can't say I liked the writing style all that much.
Again this is just my opinion on the series and I have no problem with people liking it. Just as long as they don't be rude to others for not liking it.
smile
I like that the vamps sparkle....I like the whole idea of vampires except for them being so evil...I kinda like she put a new twist on them...its new and different...just like True Blood with the vampires having 'retractable' fangs...love that....
I know it's new but I think she could have come up with something better then sparkling vampires.
Again this is just me thinking this.
To be honest though I have one huge pet peeve of the series and it's not even the books its the movies.
over a year ago katiecain said…
Mcmadness, props for being respectful. There's nothing wrong with saying you don't think there's anything special about it.

mandapanda, my lovely Team Edwarder... I could debate many points but we don't need to go there xD But one thing... Jacob's love for Bella was not just because of Renesmee. Stephenie says so herself here: link about 5:30.
Well I'm glad you were being respectful when it came to my opinion as well :)
yes, the movies are rather terrible. Not to say that I don't like them, because I do. I like them as movies. I think they are pretty good. They started out indie and worked their way up. But, in comparison to the books, they do a crappy job of translating the story well. Mainly with Bella and Edward's relationship. Twilight was horrific. They could have done much better with it and better following the story. New Moon, they made Jacob look like a saint. They never showed him being the jerk that he can be. Eclipse... having read the script draft, will not be the same as the book. If they did not edit alot of that book, we are in for alot of trouble.

And Katiecain, I was waiting for you. I knew you would comment on that. And, no matter how many times we debate, no one will falter in their beliefs. lol However, when I said Jacob's love for Bella being Renesmee, I meant his ethereal draw towards her. He constantly claimed that he loved her more and would do anything for her (which I strongly disagree, as you know ;P). And I've seen that interview. However, I disagree with alot of Stephenie Meyer's explainations. Some of them are just not logical. It's like she rambles trying to explain and justify her logic, but fails. I do believe that Jacob loved Bella. But, I also believe that he didn't love her as much as he thought, due to the spawn. And, just to put it out there, I disagree with Bella loving Jacob back. I mean, it is possible to love two people at the same time. I believe that Bella did love Jacob, staying in context with the books, but it still doesn't make sense. For Bella to constantly say, for three 500+ page books, Edward is her soul, her life, her air, everything she lives for, how can she possibly love someone else? To me, true love, is true love. There is nothing else. Once you find the person, your soul mate, that's it. You can't love anyone else. I think that part in Eclipse is interpretted differently by people. Some people believe that she loved them equally but had to choose Edward, but I very strongly disagree.

'I was waiting for you.' LOL. Menacing. xD

Well, yes, let's face it, Meyer does fail at logic. But the Nessie thing will never make sense to me anyway.

I don't believe she loved them equally but I do believe she loved him. I don't think she'd admit it to herself if she didn't. But like you said, people have different views on love and that's beautiful! I don't believe in soul mates and I believe love can happen more than once so it's not an issue for me.
heart
haha i know. that did sound a little cryptic haha

and yes. Breaking Dawn, Nessie, everything about that book will NEVER EVER make sense to me. lol

yes. I believe you can fall in and out of love, but the way Bella had described her love for Edward, and Bella somehow could love someone else? If you have that strong of love, I believe it isn't possible for you to love anyone else.... ugh just cannot understand SM's reasoning! lol But I still love you even though we debate all the time <3
Mcmadness, sorry for invading your forum. Me and mandapanda have a habit of doing this ;)

manda - I say we ignore BD. Well we can keep the wedding and honeymoon for your sake :P

I totally get what you're saying. Forgetting my views and taking it in the context of the story, I guess it doesn't really make much sense. I probably could write more but you have no idea how tired and stressed and close to ripping my own eyeballs out I am :)

Aww I love you too! ♥
yes, sorry Mcmadness. lol We always do this.

haha okay thank you! lol you gotta admit. the wedding and honeymoon were beautiful!

and forgetting any kind of opinion, and basing on logic, none of it makes sense. lol and aw you're tired? well get some rest bb! lol

;D
Speaking of Bella's love for Edward a lot of the twilight haters (and my self for that matter though not as extreme)feel that what Bella and Edward have isn't love but merely teenage lust or them just dealing with their problems and using each other for outlets to get away from their problems. Plus (while this is just my thought on the matter) the message the books seem to give is that what Edward and Bella have is true love something that no one else in the world feels and that everyone else is is just obsessed with sex (which is just not true) Again this is just my thoughts and your welcome to argue or state otherwise.
well, regarding "just dealing with their problems". Isn't that kind of how relationships start? Most relationships, they both help each other. They need each other. Two pieces to a puzzle.

And regarding to "and using each other for outlets to get away from their problems"... that is false. She actually did that to Jacob. She used him in New Moon so that she could see Edward.

I'm sure alot of Jacob fans will say that Bella and Edward's love wasn't real. But, I will disagree. At first, it was attraction. Bella was curious about Edward and wondered why there was such a contrast with his looks and the other kids at school. Edward was drawn to Bella by her blood. But, it evolved into love. Yes, their love was obsessive, but remember. It was Bella, a teenager, talking about Edward.

And, the books are not about wanting sex. Yeah, Bella wants a physical relationship, but what teenager doesn't? And I think the books explanation on love is way way out there. Yeah they loved each other, but it was an epic love. You can't follow Twilight and use it as a guide on real life relationships. It's a fantasy too. It's not a rulebook for relationships that's for sure.
Well I know manda will have something to say to that so I'll leave it to her haha. But just for the record, I do think they're in love I just don't think it's healthy.

they were beautiful. if i just forget over analysing and stuff i can actually enjoy it :P It's a tough subject, love and logic are hard to combine lol. that's exactly what i'm gonna do, night :) x
Well true I may be over analyzing it but I find it's the best way to find flaws (or good things) in a story. But I find that the largest of plot holes more or less come from technical things. Like the town that only has 3000 or so people and most of them appear to be teenagers. Or why would anyone in there right mind want to keep reliving high school because I know I wouldn't. Oh and that it never shines in this town its always cloudy.
Again your welcome to argue.
"Like the town that only has 3000 or so people and most of them appear to be teenagers" Well, we were only introduced to a few characters. We weren't given a list of every person who lived in that town so to claim that alot of them appear to be teenagers is an invalid argument. it's 3000 people. And Bella is a teenager. She's not going to hang around older people.

and "why would anyone in there right mind want to keep reliving high school because I know I wouldn't" If you've read the books, which I know you have, you will understand that what else can they do with their time? They move around every few years, they live in pergutory, etc. Edward's family members all have a mate. Edward doesn't. Edward goes to highschool, but that doesn't mean he likes it, because he doesn't.

and there are many places that are cloudy. I don't really understand what you're trying to say about that. lol Bella didn't want to live in Forks, but she put her mother's wants before her own.
Well teenagers can hang around adults I know I do plenty of times.
I suppose that would make sense about him going to school but you think someone would have noticed the same guy going to school for century after a while.
And what I mean is that the town is conveniently cloudy at all times so they can go outside almost all the darn time.
Still most of the technical flaws come from the movie.
Oh and this is just me but I don't think that Robert is hot I think he is ugly. Note I am a guy but still even if I was a woman I would think he is ugly. But this is just me.
Oh and I don't mind you 2 doing that I have no problem with it :)
over a year ago green_monster17 said…
smile
i love that people are putting in their opinions! in my opinion, i hate how she wrote edwards body as being this amazing body, but yet when you see him in the movie new moon, his body is flabby and gross, and jacons body is the one that makes us melt, i hate that part....i also hate how in the book breaking dawn that they have jacobs and bellas points of view, but they don't have edwards, i think that part is lame, otherwise, i love the saga
I'm not saying that young people don't hang out with adults, but assuming that the town is conveniently full of teenagers is a bit out there. She's a teenager, so she's going to hang out with teenagers. There's nothing odd about that.

and well, they are located in Washington. And, the way Stephenie Meyer incorporated Forks, Washington is actually very acurate. It does have rainy weather and the sun doesn't shine. So, again, I don't really see the argument point you are tryping to lay out. And, another thing. There are millions of people in the United States. I doubt anyone would notice the Cullens, even after jumping around, place to place. They seclude themselves. It's not like they interact with people and make themselves the life of the party. They are just living there, dwelling there to fill up the time.

and I'm almost positive that if Twilight wasn't popular, no one would have a problem with Robert. It's just that, since he is in the spotlight, people try and find flaws about him. Not saying you do, but alot of people just try to find something wrong with him. I'm a girl, and I find him very attractive. However, alot of girls I know don't like him either. They don't get why he's so popular or why people find him so dang hot. And, it's like I said a while back. It's a phase. There's always heartthrobs. I'm sure back in the day, Mel Gibson, Patrick Swayze, etc were just as popular.

And, you never know... if you were a girl, you could find him attractive. You just never know :P
In response to green_monster17:

First off, the movies are not like the books. Edward's character in the books are NOT the same as in the movies.

With that said, when he revealed himself in New Moon in Italy, he's not supposed to look like an angel. He's supposed to look dead. And I think they did a good job of making him look like he lost everything he lived for. He's about to kill himself for goodness sake. Of course he'll look haggard. Honestly.
Well maybe I guess I was a little out of line claiming what I would think if I was a girl lol.
My main problem I guess is his hair cut that just looks dumb to me.
Speaking of witch at the end of new moon when edward was going to expose him self exactly how was that going to kill him?
I don't quite remember and I don't own the book for referencing.
hair cut? Have you seen a recent picture of him lately? I don't only find him attractive for his looks, but who he is as well. I really like his morals and what he believes in. He has a very down to earth quality and it's refreshing especially in that industry.

and the main rule of the vampires in Twilight is to keep their identity a secret. And, in New Moon, there was a festival going on in the main square of Volterra, Italy. With alot of people, Edward decided it would be the fastest way to die. However, he didn't know Bella was never dead. And little did he know that she would be trying to save him.
Wait but how would he die? I still don't understand?
oh sorry. lol when he would step out into the sunlight, we all know his skin sparkles. All the people in the festival would see him and realize he isn't human. The volturi, who live in Italy, are considered the royalty over all the vampires. They would find Edward and kill him. From reading the books, I'm sure you can peace together that they would be doin exactly what he wanted. He can't live without Bella, and thinking that she's dead, he had no reason to live.
I don't know.
If I saw someone who sparkled I would just assume that they are wearing to much glitter or something like that not that they aren't human or that they are a vampire.
But again this is just me.
To each their own :) I don't necessarily like the sparkling, I find it weird and a bit "underwhelming" especially from the suspense Stephenie Meyer built up. I thought it would be a little more menacing. But we can't change the story.
No we cant if we could I would love this story lol
And as I said I also don't like the sparkling it just seams stupid to me. But what ever it will pass and everyone will remember it as an amusing past time joke or something like that lol
I wouldn't say passtime joke. Some people might take offense to that. It could be a phase that people go through. It's just like everything else and every fad. it'll fade. :)
Yeah I guess some people might and I don't want to offend anyone.
So if any one gets offended I apologize :)