Sex and Sexuality Is It Wrong?

TalaLeisu posted on Jun 16, 2010 at 05:03PM
Is it wrong that I've been questioning my sexuality? Is it wrong for me to wonder if I like women as well as men? Is it wrong for me to like another girl? You tell me your opinions, and I might begin to feel comfortable with my sexuality.

Sex and Sexuality 9 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Cinders said…
Let me put this very, very carefully so that you can clearly understand.

NO. Emphatically no! It is not wrong at all.

Sexuality is an insanely complicated thing. I'd estimate that three out of four people have questioned their sexuality at least once in their life. It may even be more than that. And just because you're questioning it does not mean that you're gay, it just means that you aren't 100% straight, and that is OKAY! You should never be ashamed of your sexuality.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey was an expert in sex and sexuality. He theorized that every human being - gay, straight, bisexual, transgendered, intersex - everyone fell on a sliding sexuality scale. Or, in other words, that few people were 100% gay or straight, and the majority actually fell somewhere on the continuum in between those two extremes. Even more simplified, everyone is, to an extent, bisexual.

He devised the link as a representation of the sexuality continuum. The fact that you are questioning your sexuality just means that you are in the majority of the population.

If you really want to know about your sexuality, explore it. Consider it. Think about it. Try it. If anything, it will help you know and understand yourself better, even if you decide you prefer men to women (or vice versa!)

My best advice to you is to keep an open mind. If you like a girl, and she seems to like you, don't run away from it. Experience it. See how much you like (or don't like) it. It will help you get a firmer grasp on who you are and what kind of person you will be happier with in a relationship, and these are very important things to know!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago TalaLeisu said…
Wow. Thanks for the link and the advice. I'm no longer going to ignore my feelings for this girl. I DO like her, and even if nothing happens between us, I'm glad I said it.

Since I live in a predominantly unknown neighborhood, it seems like--and is quite possible that--I'm the only one who questions it, takes it seriously. This has made me come to feel quite...alone.
over a year ago Cinders said…
You are not alone, not statistically at any rate. Keep in mind that people don't normally talk about these things, even with close friends. For example, how many people have you told about your questioning?

Just because it doesn't seem like it doesn't mean people haven't thought about. I stand by my 3 out of 4 estimate. I believe there are SOME people (25% of the population) who go through life knowing exactly that they are straight, or gay, but I think the majority of us all question at one point or another, even if we end up deciding to identify as "straight" or "gay" in the end, or even "bisexual" or "pansexual."

Remember, these are only labels that exist to try to explain a very complex subject that works on many different levels.
over a year ago TalaLeisu said…
Oh. I have told a few people, but...what do I do about my parents. My parents--not to be offensive, this is no indication of my judgement--but my parents are homophobic. I don't know what to do about my questioning. What do I tell them?
over a year ago darkkhorn19 said…
Im just going to say my opinion, i hate homosexuality, it's not right or natural. hate me, say whatever you want, faggots are possesed by an evil figure that most people call Satan. they just don't know it. so it is wrong in my morals and what i believe in.
over a year ago doggee said…
sunny

darkkhorn, you hate homosexuality or do whatever you want personally but do you know that it is scientifically proved that homosexuality is as normal as being straight'. how many people do know that? i am not homosexual. but i wanna say that we CANT be unfair to all the sexual minorities just because they are abnormal or different or few in population.they also have rights to be treated as a human. don't forget that.
over a year ago Ashwolf said…
Darkkhorn: my best friend, auntie, and great uncle are NOT i repeat NOT possesed by satan. And don't call gays faggots! Its cruel and wrong that homophobes like you take away their right to get married. As for you TalaLeisu its OK 2 bi by i am too and so are alot of ppl i know
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Vixie79 said…
angry
darkkhorn19: That's the most idiotic statement I've ever heard, it's people like you that make this world worse than it already is. DON'T FORGET THAT EITHER!!!!!!
over a year ago Stunt_Girl said…
wink
It's not a mistake. You shouldn't feel bad about it!
Anyway here are two things that you should remember..
1: KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN...
2: AND DON'T LET NARROWED-MINDED PEOPLE GET YOU DOWN.
It works for me all these years!!!!!

xxx