Love Are abusive relationships okay if it's a girl hitting a guy?

garboozle posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:16AM
I'm in one and my friends fuss like, "oh it's so terrible" and to "get out" and this and that. The thing is she's never really hurt me, only minor bumps&bruises. She's the first and only girlfriend I've ever had so I am desperate to keep her. I know she loves me because of how long we've been together and how TRULY sorry she is afterwards. As well as the fact she tells me almost everyday "I love you".

Love 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Karthigesh said…
Well it looks like she isn't abusing you, I think she might be a little rough on you but she isn't hurting you on purpose. I think you should talk to her and tell her how you feel, if she is doing this on purpose then leave her, you deserve better. I can see you care for her a lot, so tell her that this makes you feel uncomfortable and that you would to stop.

Saying "sorry" and "i love you" means nothing if she keeps doing it again and again. Find out why she is doing it and tell her you will help her through it, and that you love her...

You have to choose what you want to do. But there has to be a limit to where she has to realize that things have gone too far. An abusive relationship is NEVER okay, regardless of what gender you are.
over a year ago roseteaxx said…
I think you need to talk to her. Don't downplay how you're feeling. Be gentle, but be firm. If it's playful, that's one thing. If it's really nothing to worry about, she'll listen to you and make a serious effort to treat you right. But if she's leaving bumps and bruises, that's more serious. If she won't stop or does not take you seriously, that's a problem. If, as you say, she is apologizing afterwords, but she still isn't stopping, I would be weary.

To me, it doesn't look good. She's leaving bumps and bruises, which is a definite bad sign. If she keeps apologizing but isn't stopping, I'd take caution. If she were truly sorry, she would stop. Or, at the very least, she would stop horrified after realizing she forgot and started up again, and would show real evidence of working at stopping. She tells you almost everyday that she loves you. That can be a good thing. But it can also be bad. If she truly loves you, she will care about how you feel and will try not to hurt you. Even if she's saying sorry, she only means it if she makes a conscious effort to stop. If she isn't, then she does not truly care about you.

It seems that you truly care about her. You deserve someone who will care about you just as much as you care about them. I know it's hard, and sometimes, when we really care about someone, we try to downplay these things as minor, when they really may be serious.

An abusive relationship is never okay. It doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl doing the abusing. It's never, ever okay, and if she is indeed abusing you, which it sounds like she is, you need to get out of that situation. I know it's hard, especially since she's your first girlfriend, but you can't stay in that relationship. I'm sure you'll find someone else who will truly love you.

So I'd say talk to her. Don't brush off the situation as nothing, but don't immediately dump her either. Have a serious conversation with her. If she takes you seriously and makes a real effort to stop, then you know that at least she's trying and she does love you. If not, then the relationship isn't healthy, and you need to get out. Talk to her, and see how it goes.
over a year ago kairi13050 said…
well, if you love her, then by all means don't give up on it. talk to her, let her know if it's hurting you. if she genuinely loves you and actually takes an effort to stop hurting you, then you know you can stay with her. she may just have a weird way of showing her love.

also, next time you have a question to ask, put it in the "answers" section, not the forum. : )