IU [TRANSLATION] 151106 IU's Response to Recent Controversies Regarding her Chat-Shire Album

MissDIU posted on Nov 06, 2015 at 08:53AM
[TRANSLATION] 151106 IU’s response
Hello. This is IU.

Recently, there have been many opinions regarding my lyrics and although I’m aware of it, I’ve taken longer than I thought to gather my courage (to respond). Sorry that I’m late.

I’m sincerely sorry if people were emotionally hurt because of my lyrics.
My album “chat-shire” included songs that were created from the perspective of various characters from stories, based on what came to my mind and things that happened to the 23-year-old me. “Zeze” is one of those songs too.

“My Sweet Orange Tree” is a novel I really cherish. I swear I didn’t write the lyrics with the intention to sexually objectify a 5-year-old child. The ‘Zeze’ in the lyrics only borrows the content from the novel as a motif, as the 3rd character. However, after hearing what many people who listened to my music said, I realised that my lyrics caused them unhappiness and emotional hurt to them. That is completely due to my inexperience as a lyricist.

(Note: Read more from the perspective of someone who has read the book and explains that ‘climb up me’ is exactly what is said in the book.)
link

What I said in an interview also caused many people to be surprised. In the interview, I said, “I’m not talking about the young Zeze, but his particular character trait that I felt was sexy.” I was not talking about the 5-year-old child, but the duality of his “character trait”. However, mentioning a child and ‘sexy’ in the same sentence, seems to have caused much misunderstanding and that was negligence on my part.

(Note: News reporters who were at IU’s comeback chat-show summarised and typed out what she said on the spot, hence, only parts of what she said were published in the news articles. Full text of what IU said during the chat-show.)
link

Prior to this, the sampling issue of the bonus track ‘twenty three’ was my fault as a producer, for not being careful enough to check the source of the samples used when arranging the song. Currently, we’re still awaiting confirmation from Britney Spears’ side, to seek sample clearance from them.

(Note: This is the producer ost / bonus track ‘twenty three’ which IU did not compose for. She only participated in the song composition for her title track ‘twenty-three’.)

As this is the first album I took on as a Producer, I was excited and being hungry for praise, I ended up being too greedy. It seems I’ve made many mistakes. Once again, I bend my head in apology towards the people I’ve caused hurt to and the people who were disappointed because of me.
I’ll reflect and work harder and will definitely bring a more mature side of myself as IU. My apologies.

Translated by squishy with love

link

IU No replies