posted by SpecialAgentKat
*I used to like Twilight until I started really reading it and it seemed like the more I heard or read into it, the more negative things I would find. This is coming from an unbiased point of view; Me being a fan of Harry Potter has nothing to do with my opinion.
Why I hate Twilight and think it is a bad example of love:
• Bella is incredibly disrespectful, insensitive, and rude to her own parents. She even calls them by their first names. She thinks her dad is a ‘dumb*** and constantly says he can’t look after himself and she calls her own mother an idiot all because Renee (her mom) was enjoying planning Bella’s wedding. Seriously; It’s quite rude considering they love her and just wants to make sure she is safe and happy.
• Bella is way too needy, clingy, and dependent on her first boyfriend. Seriously, she doesn’t do anything without consulting him and she wants to be with him FOREVER without really realizing what she’s agreeing to.
• When Edward breaks up with her, she tries to kill herself several times, not the best example right there.
• Edward either hides, takes, or destroys all of Bella’s possessions that would remind her of him without even telling or asking her first.
• While she’s supposedly in love with Edward, she also has feelings for Jacob.
• Also, Bella hates everything, constantly complains about everything, and generally has no enthusiasm for life but she is still popular and still everyone wants to be around her. Seriously, Explain that for me please!
• When Edward saves Bella from being crushed to death in Twilight, she doesn’t even thank him. She just wants to know how he moved so quickly seriously he just SAVED your life.
• While Bella is praised as ‘mature’ and ‘independent’, she listens to every word Edward says and does almost whatever he says.
• Edward and Alice, especially often does things without informing Bella first. They throw her lavish birthday parties which they know she hates and they tend to give her expensive gifts which they also know she despises. Edward tries to control her life including her friendships and her future. Several of the Cullens even try to abort her baby without even asking or even informing her of the fact beforehand.
• When Edward or anyone else gives Bella a gift, she complains about the entire gift-giving process instead of being grateful or thanking the person.
• Bella’s entire life revolves around Edward and she never does anything without him. She has no outside interests and hobbies. She has no thoughts on her future or college, she just wants Edward. She also rarely talks to her so called ‘best friends.’
• She is constantly called careful, cautious, and responsible and she even sees herself that way, she not only tries to kill herself, wants to become a vampire for a guy and doesn’t even think it through; she also wants to lose her virginity to a guy who could very well kill her if he loses control. Seriously girl; think it through a little!
• Edward is apparently the perfect guy; but he is actually pushy, nosy, creepy, and even abusive both physically and emotionally.
• It also promotes that aging is terrible and should be avoided at all costs. Seriously, not possible.
• Bella also tries to force Edward into having *** with her when he clearly doesn’t want to and just wants to wait. It is slutty and sexually abusive which is so wrong.
• He wants to kill his own baby and even abandons his pregnant and often ill young wife.
• Bella is pretty nasty to her human friends who are supposed to be her ‘best friends’. She often ignores them, is rude to them, or invites them places and either doesn’t show up or completely ignores them. Seriously, Bad friend!
• Her mind can’t be read by vampires which does not make sense because she’s supposedly just a normal human girl. She’s apparently the only one who does have that ability.
• When Bella moves to Forks in the beginning, she apparently has all of the guys falling over her but in Phoniex, she had no friends and was completely ignored. What happened and why is Forks so different?
• She is clumsy and it’s made out to be a disability.
• When she’s turned, she is easily able to control her instincts and desire for blood which newly turned vampires can never do.
• The books are also pretty sexist; Bella doesn’t do anything besides wait for a man (i.e Edward) to tell her what to do and she sacrifices and changes her entire life just for him.
• The books constantly promote that romantic love is more powerful than any other kind of love. For example, Bella is more than willing to give up her family, friends and never see or speak to them again with VERY LITTLE remorse or even consideration.
• During the entire series, Bella uses Jacob. She coaxes information out of him, kisses him and then rejects him, she uses him as a free mechanic and even right before she gets married; she holds his hand and then kisses him. That’s a really nasty and mean way to treat the guy who is in love with you, she’s just leading him on and anybody would tell you that's just not okay.
• All of the characters in Twilight are way too perfect, even the evil ones are. They have no faults or interesting personality quirks besides Bella is ‘clumsy’.
• There’s very little humor in the books and the ones do joke like Jacob or Emmet, it is usually very stupid and immature.
• Bella is seriously the typical ‘damsel in distress’. She does nothing and constantly has to be saved. We have come way too far to actually allow that to happen.
• How did Edward and Bella fall in love? For the first half of the book; he is rude, arrogant, moody, patronizing, and sends her mixed messages. It’s definitely not Edward’s personality that wins her over. Also, how does Edward fall in love with Bella. She doesn’t do anything particually interesting and she’s quite rude to him and everyone else.
• Bella is apparently super intelligent. She quotes Shakesphere, reads classic novels, listens to old classical music, and gets TOP grades in school but she never actually studies.
• The author tends to glamorize depression and suicide; they are both shown to be interesting and dramatic. Seriously, Insensitive and it’s not interesting at all.
• She’s perfectly okay with being turned into a vampire but when Edward proposes, she freaks out and yells no. Her reasoning is that marriages don’t last forever, they could get a divorce. On the other hand, becoming a vampire is eternal commitment.
• I also hate the fact that Stephenie Meyer portrays all humans to be weak, defenseless, and unable to take care of themselves.
• She also only has 1 standard for beauty and all other kinds of beauty are ignored. The author seems to have forgotten that EVERYONE is different and not everyone looks the same including the most beautiful people in the world.
(Seriously, If you don't believe me; reread the way she describes Bella and the Cullen girls-all the same; slim, athleticly built, beautiful hair, no physical flaws)
The author is constantly interrupting serious thoughts in the book to just randomly praise Edward’s body. Creepy!
• The books plotlines are hard to follow and are often messy and illogical.
• Seriously, The books has some of the worst grammar and spelling mistakes I’ve ever seen.
• Even the series own author, Stephanie Meyer admits she doesn’t like her own series which she wrote. Also, Robert Pattinson who plays Edward wishes he had never done the series, does not want to be remembered for ever doing it and even called the author insane.