Disney Princess What qualifies a character to be a Disney Princess?

Jillywinkles posted on Mar 01, 2008 at 03:36AM
I wonder what is the list of characteristics that Disney execs use to make the girls official disney princesses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are officially 8 princesses currently:
Snow White
Cinderella
Aurora
Ariel
Belle
Princess Jasmine
Pocahontas
Mulan

Well anyway, here is MY list of what I think a Disney princess should be:

-She is main protagonist in the movie
-She ends up with the prince, castle, etc. at the end. (has a happily ever after)
-She is kind, generous, brave, beautiful, and has a lovely singing voice, and is a good role model.
-She is an actual princess in the story.
-She is a cartoon (and owned by Disney).
-Her story is an age-old simple one, preferably based on a myth/legend/etc.

Going by those standards, only Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, and Aurora really qualify. Anybody else should be just Honorary Princesses.
The only problem with that is that then they're all white, so maybe you should add in Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Esmerelda for some racial mixing.

But I really think that the above qualities are necessary to technically be a princess in the disney sense of the word.

Thoughts?
last edited on Mar 01, 2008 at 03:52AM

Disney Princess 12 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago kateliness2 said…
Well. I guess a classic princess type would need those to qualify, but I grew up on these movies.

All of the stories are age-old classic tales to me :)

I do agree with the being an actual princess one, the cartoons and owned by disney one though :)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago miiamya said…
I don't think Mulan qualifies - she is not an actual princess.

As for being based off a myth - isn't Aladdin one of Scheherazade's tales? which would make jasmine a hard core disney princess.
over a year ago Katieness101 said…
Well, Pocahontas doesn't really have a happy ending because in either the first or second, she doesn't end up with John Smith. BTW is not a prince and Mulan saved a country but she doesn't fall in love with a prince, he's a general of the Chinese army. So she doesn't count either.

I do agree that they have to be owned disney, animated, on the good side, and a real princess by the end of the movie. But Jasmine should count just as well. She meets every one of your requirements...
over a year ago SweetPea2007 said…
Mulan really is the only one that should not be considered a princess because she was not a princess and did not marry a prince.
Snow White was a princess.
Cinderella married a prince.
Aurora was a princess.
Ariel was a princess.
Belle married a prince.
Jasmine was a princess.
Pocahontas was a princess and she did have a happy ending in the second movie when she went off with John Rolfe (who was her real life husband).
over a year ago lead said…
your are right on!
over a year ago princesslullaby said…
I think the rule is any main female protaginist teenage age or above in a disney movie is a disney princess. With the exception of Jasmine, who is an actual princess but not the main character, but she was in a very successful film, which is why they included her.

This writes off Esmeralda, Jane, and Megara.
However, it doesn't write off Kida because she is a princess. All I can conclude from that is that Atlantis wasn't critically acclaimed at all, infact, it garnered mostly negtive reviews. I can also conclude it was probably because Kida didn't have as much of a role in her movie as Jasmine did in hers.

Also, you forgot Tiana. She is now an official disney princess.
over a year ago xlogan123 said…
Very late, but I had to clarify something here-

SweetPea2007 said: "Pocahontas was a princess and she did have a happy ending in the second movie when she went off with John Rolfe (who was her real life husband). " No. A thousand times no. She was child. She was also kidnapped and intended to be used for ransom. She was converted to christianity and forced to marry the MUCH OLDERJohn Rolfe. She died of disease because he took her to England. For the love of all that is good, do not use Disney as your means to learn history. They can make a good story, but it's almost always at the expense of historical accuracy.
over a year ago disneyworld007 said…
smile
Okay, well this is what I think. The official princesses should be: Snow White,
Cinderella
Aurora
Ariel
Belle
Jasmine
Tiana
Rupanzal
The reason i don't think Mulan is that she never ever married a prince the dude she married was a general, but the reason she is quaalifed as one officially is because of her bravery and courage. Unless disney just made a mistake.
But about Pochantos well i dont even know why they really ever considered her as one I mean yes I guess she does have the bravery and courage but Mulan did have more than her
Now, about all the other girls in Disney that are sometimes mistaken as princesses are some that when I was 3 or 4 considered them as them too. Like Megara an Esmerelda, Jane, Alice, Tinker Bell.
I'm not quite sure how people got thinking though at all that Jane, Alice, or Tinker bell could even possibly be a princess. What happens with Jane is she does to some island and meets Tarzan. Unless his family had royal blood somewher down the line she is NOT a princess.
Then with Alice well, she's under age first of all in the animated version, so it couldn't be even possible, yes although she has kidness in her heart and even in Kingdom Hearts she is considered a princess, yet Ariel is not.
Then, finally with Tinker Bell, she's a FAIRY not a human, yet I know that Ariel was a mermaid, but there was never any mention of princesses and queens in Peter Pan with Tinkerbell. She doesn't even have kindness at least not to Wendy
With Megara it makes since if someone got her mixed up as a princess, because u r supposed to asume tht Her and Hercules get married, and Hercules is half god.
Then with Esmerelda, well she's REALLY pretty, and ends up gettting the good lookin guy. That's basically why I think anybody would get her mixed up.
Those are my views on Disney Princesses :)
over a year ago TigerRanma said…
^ You forgot Princess Tigerlily in Peter Pan.
over a year ago Swanpride said…
1. She has to be an adult (somewhat, in snow white's case)
2. She has to be based on a fairy tale or a legend, not a book.
3. She has to be a heroine.
4. She has to be human
over a year ago disneyworld007 said…
i agree, altho im not sure sleepouing beauty is a heroine but she basically just has to be 3 of those :)
over a year ago tiagih said…
smirk
according to Disney.wikia: "The characters themselves, despite appearing in separate films, have distinct similarities. The princesses show good will towards all creatures, evidenced by the common ability to commune with animals. The princesses are known for their inner and outer beauty as well as having beautiful singing voices. Each princess has a romance that is resolved by the end of her film"

Mulan is only a "princess" because she is the heroine of her movie