Damon & Bonnie Damon Salvatore is Bonnie's Scarlett O'Hara and Bonnie McCullough is Damon's Rhett Butler.

ApplePie88 posted on Mar 02, 2011 at 10:26PM
I've seen some Gone With The Wind comparisons to TVD and I would just like to say that Damon and Bonnie's relationship dynamic reminds me a lot of Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara. In terms of individual characters, yes, Damon is most comparable to Rhett Butler and Bonnie is most comparable to Melanie Hamilton, STRICTLY BASED ON INDIVIDUAL PERSONALITIES. However, the Damon/Bonnie dynamic/relationship greatly reminds me Rhett Butler/Scarlett O'Hara epic (and tragic) love.. In this matchup though, Bonnie is Rhett Butler and Damon is Scarlett O'Hara. I know that seems odd to switch up the gender roles in my comparisons but it was the only way I could showcase the extreme similarities in their dynamic. Bonnie is Rhett Butler in the sense that Bonnie has always loved and cared for Damon, the way that Rhett did with Scarlett. Like Rhett did with Scarlett, Bonnie hides her feelings for Damon because of someone else (Elena). Bonnie knows that Elena is "in love" and "obsessed" with Damon and because of it, she has to conceal what she really feels for him because Damon happens to be obsessed with Elena (who is Ashley Wilkes in this comparison). Throughout the entire series, like Scarlett, Damon spends all his time obsessing over Elena and possessing her and wanting to be with her (like Scarlett did with Ashley). The same way that Scarlett's love for Ashley was all in her imagination and all an illusion, something that she created in her mind, is the same way that Damon's "love" for Elena is all in his imagination, and he had set himself a goal to have her and possess her (like L.J. Smith stated herself). All the while, like Rhett did with Scarlett, Bonnie hid her feelings for Damon and held back on expressing them to him or to anyone and because she loves and cares about Damon so much, she lets Damon obsess over Elena (this proved that Rhett was actually a very selfless individual after all, just highly misunderstood, like Bonnie is) and have a chance at pursuing something with her, even though deep down inside, it may be painful for her. Like Scarlett consistently did with Rhett throughout the story, Damon repeatedly and incessantly denies what he feels for Bonnie, denying that he does in fact have deep and strong feelings for her; he takes their connection for granted. Like Rhett did with Scarlett, Bonnie is able to understand Damon more then he even understands himself or anyone else is able to understand him. Bonnie sees that Damon is highly misunderstood and she understands it because she herself, is misunderstood as well. Basically, like Rhett with Scarlett, Bonnie sees qualities in Damon that she deeply understands that Elena doesn't understand, meaning that Bonnie significantly understands Damon better then Elena does. Damon and Bonnie deeply understand each other because believe it or not, like Rhett and Scarlett, they are rather similar in certain aspects. What I am basically trying to say is that Damon is like Scarlett, blind to see what has been right in front of him this whole time, not realizing that Bonnie is the person whom he truly loves and that the feelings that they have for each other is real. Whereas, Damon is blindly infatuated with Elena (the same way that Scarlett was blindly infatuated with Ashley throughout the whole time) and thinks he loves her, it's all in his mind and his imagination. DAMON AND ELENA IS AN OBSESSIVE BLIND INFATUATION (THE SAME WAY THAT SCARLETT/ASHLEY WAS), it is nothing but an illusion. This is why I can make a highly legitimate comparison between Rhett Butler/Scarlett O'Hara and Damon Salvatore/Bonnie McCullough in terms of RELATIONSHIP DYNAMICS, with Damon being Scarlett O'Hara and Bonnie being Rhett Butler. Rhett Butler was never a particularly "selfish" individual. In fact, I actually found Rhett to be rather selfless, like Bonnie. Damon is of course the selfish individual, only caring about getting what he wants and desires. In the end though, I have a strong feeling, like Scarlett and Rhett, Damon will come to realize that he never really loved Elena at all, and it was all in his imagination but that he really does truly love Bonnie and recognizes that she is his true love. My only hope is that Damon/Bonnie don't end up like Rhett/Scarlett in the sense that because Scarlett took Rhett's love for granted, Rhett ended up ditching Scarlett because of it. I just hope that when Damon does come to realize that he really does love Bonnie in the end that Bonnie doesn't reject Damon and his love for her because that would be really tragic, the same way that Gone With The Wind ended in tragedy.

What do you think of my comparison? Do you think that it is legitimate?
last edited on Mar 02, 2011 at 11:46PM

Damon & Bonnie 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago silvina19 said…
worried
“My only hope is that Damon/Bonnie don't end up like Rhett/Scarlett in the sense that because Scarlett took Rhett's love for granted, Rhett ended up ditching Scarlett because of it. I just hope that when Damon does come to realize that he really does love Bonnie in the end that Bonnie doesn't reject Damon and his love for her because that would be really tragic, the same way that Gone With The Wind ended in tragedy.”
Well i been hoping that she doesn’t end reject him because she feels like a rebound... like a short fanfic that i read some time ago Second Choice (the title say it all)
or worse when he realize his true love is bonnie it would be too late... because she could had a child, someone for who she couldn’t just run away to the eternity adventure, therefore/or she will end up been too old for them to have a real relationship (not only platonic love). as peter pan and wendy (please don’t laugh of me), what I want to explain is that, he will be still a young man but she will be a woman -with family, and another type of life- thus they would be in different parts of the road or their paths would been apart for too long for reunite them… they would/could have little in common, I mean when they become vampires the maturity also stop in some way.. because they STOP LIVING THE HUMAN LIFE, some experience make us mature and they can experience them if you stop living, stop growing up. They can have the theory, see the demonstration of that but they would never practice them, at least, in LJS's books so far…

“ All the while, like Rhett did with Scarlett, Bonnie hid her feelings for Damon and held back on expressing them to him or to anyone and because she loves and cares about Damon so much, she lets Damon obsess over Elena (this proved that Rhett was actually a very selfless individual after all, just highly misunderstood, like Bonnie is) and have a chance at pursuing something with her, even though deep down inside, it may be painful for her.”
But she also hides her feelings because of Elena… when Damon kiss her in vicky’s backyards (?) she start to think in Elena I mean: ugh, come on he is kissing you!!! and of course the spoilers of midnight of what Stefan says to Elena (im not going to say anything in case you haven’t read it and don’t plan to do it so, otherwise I guess you know what I mean :)).
Yes you are right SHE IS SELFLESS!! So selfless that she put herself aside for her best friend and the love of her life!! Meanwhile Elena gives a sh!% the anybody!!!!

“What do you think of my comparison? Do you think that it is legitimate?”
OH HELL!!! I’m torn.. How you explained it I agree the relationship of DB can be compared to S/R… but I always thought that the story of Gone With The Wind is more related with the main trio, to me Elena is too selfish like Scarlett. Damon is always at her service but at the same time he confronts her, he has a strong character (similar to Rhett)… I hate the idea of these two together and I don’t want that the story of DB end tragically like S/R neither…
But I could live with the idea of DE if and only if the Vampires Diaries end as tragic as Gonne With The Wind or worse, after all when I already crying because DB and SE didn’t end like I would want it, what if I drop some more tears… even it could comfort me a little… I have my masochist moments I know…
To me Elena could have some remorse but never ACT selfless, she don’t care if with her behavior she hurt her boyfriend, his brother, her BEST FRIEND! And all the people that did put their life in danger more that once for her!!! It’s like she can’t really put herself in the shoes of the others… she can’t give up something or do something that means a real sacrifice to her person, first it is her well-being, then of her loved ones... she saves, helps, protects them because she can’t live without them, NOT because she only want the best for them. She still has a childish selfishness and as Stefan said in the story "Blood will tell" Bonnie is more woman than many adult ones... in this aspect is more mature than Elena IMO … because while her whims are intact Elena will be fine.
I am not speaking of solidarity but of charity. She can save the world but she can’t rid off of this need that she has to be the center of the world, everybody put her in a pedestal, being the most beautiful, the most beloved… BULLSHIT!! she trying to save the slaves or the town? ..Ha!… Please give to this girl a Nobel Prize!

Ok… now im rambling about how much loathing awake in me Elena… and that is not important here (though it was gooood release it)…
I have problems with the relationship of Stefan and Bonnie as Ashley and Melanie, between them never existed that type of love like Stefan for Elena or Bonnie for Damon, but they personalities are more similar A/M. Bonnie loves her friend so much, she can sacrifice herself for Elena… and trust Elena, while she dismiss Bonnie, for her childish manners or whatever… But she is stronger, powerful and at the same time much more better person!!
Both Damon and Stefan are in a similar position to Rhett’s, they love Elena and did a lot for her… Stefan loves her in another level to me, because he can let her go if that is what she wants, even meaning the end of him… She takes his love for granted, but some day she could cross the line and Stefan -I hope- will say ‘I love you but I can’t live like this anymore’. I know that the love don’t mean deserve someone, but I’m sick of her behavior and I think that everything have a limit, Damon is his brother for God sake! But Stefan is so passive that remind me to Ashley.
Meanwhile Damon remind to Rhett, he and Elena they are similar, strong characters but that doesn’t mean that they are for each other… Damon isn’t that bad person but he try to remain the appearance because he think that that is show weakness. And Elena in the other hand is not a saint angel; luckily she knows that and knows that Stefan loves her with all her flews her relationship with him never could be compared to one with Damon. Because DE are so selfish that are going to kill each other at the end when the honeymoon ends and the real coexistence begins.
Damon did a lot for Elena although he said that he wants her (I don’t remember if he said that he loves her exactly, perhaps because DE moments make me sick! And as auto-defense I tend to forget them). But she loves Stefan. I know she do but she is constantly playing this sickish game with Damon… She could love him too but I think that is, more like friendship, similar to another book couple Bella and Jacob … the problem is that the in their selfishness allow lust win…

So.. Basically I like your comparison, it could be legitimate but IMHO there are others stories more similar to the relationship between Damon and Bonnie and Gone With The Wind is more related to others relationships of The Vampire Diaries… And I really hope that DB don’t end up like S/R, but if DE does happen I want a tragically end!!! That Elena realizes that she don’t love Damon like she loves Stefan but Stefan would be fed up of that situation and will say ´enough is enough´… or Elena would spend so much time in the middle of the two brothers that Stefan would leave her because he would want to give her freedom to be with Demon but Damon would so sick that he wouldn’t mind anymore if she loves him and go away… or something like that… I really want that the brothers to have at least a bit of pride as Rhett!

Sorry all my digressive, i hope made my point clear. It was difficult explain myself in English… but when I began to comment I couldn’t stop at all!
over a year ago skysamuelle said…
cool
As always i can trust you to come up with extraordinary articles on our ship.

And this is also strange because yerday i was re-reading online bits of 'Scarlett', that official follow up to 'Gone with the wind' and i thought back to how much TVBonnie and TVDamon dynamics resemble Scarlett/Rhett.

TV Bonnie and TVDamon complement each other much the same way, Scarlett and Rhett did, with Bonnie being the more grounded, moral, perceptive side of the pairing and Damon being the greedy, prone-to-self-illusion, volatile, highly emotional side.

over a year ago silvina19 said…
surprise
oh! @skysamuelle i didnt thought of the TVshow! si totally forgot it!