Damon & Bonnie The D&B connection was implemented from the very start, in the Pilot episode.

ApplePie88 posted on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:07PM
I just re-watched the Pilot episode because I have the Vampire Diaries season 1 DVD box set. The Damon/Bonnie connection was implemented in the very first episode. There are many signs that showed me that Damon/Bonnie had a connection even though they did not meet in person yet. The truth is, Damon may have come back to Mystic Falls for Katherine but when you look at the depth of it, Damon actually really came back to MF for Bonnie. I say this because Damon knew about Bonnie and the fact that she was a witch or had witch ancestry before Elena, Stefan and even Bonnie herself found out about who she really was. I say that Damon came back for Bonnie because in order for the tomb (with Katherine inside) to be opened, he needed a witch to de-spell the tomb and release Katherine. And Bonnie happened to be the first Bennett witch that Damon met as soon as he came back to town. Also, Damon has a long history with Bonnie's family and ancestors. He has made a promise to protect Emily Bennett's ancestors over 145 years ago. This is one sign. Also, when Bonnie was driving to school with Elena in the car, Bonnie unexpectedly hits a crow after she says "I predict"...and BAM, she hits a crow. Well, we all know that Damon is the one who controls crows, not Stefan. Also, immediately after Damon comes back to town, Bonnie's powers start to become heightened and they start dramatically evolving. Bonnie's first visions are all about Damon with her seeing the crow a few times and her powers heighten immensely as she can sense a "negative presence" (the negative presence being Damon). Before Damon comes back to town, this tells me that Bonnie's powers were not strong, intense or as developed. But as soon as Damon came back into town, her powers started to dramatically evolve and Bonnie started to change immensely as an individual, triggering her individual journey. The individual journey into finding oneself does not stop with Bonnie. After Damon comes back to Mystic Falls, Damon also begins his own spiritual individual journey into finding himself. Why is it that Damon didn't begin this spiritual journey years ago BEFORE he met Bonnie? Why all of a sudden is Damon beginning to change and evolve as an individual now, when he could have done it years ago? Basically, Damon and Bonnie are evolving and changing at the same time and at the same pace. They are both misunderstood and are both on their own individual, spiritual journeys trying to find themselves and understand themselves. And also, after Bonnie sees another vision involving Damon, Bonnie says to Elena that these feelings and these visions that she is having all of a sudden are feelings that she has never felt before ever and that she was intensely frightened and overwhelmed by them. Bonnie then says to Elena, "It's just the beginning". All of these signs tell me that the D/B connection has been there from the very start but it has been severely overlooked because of the main love triangle of the series including Elena/Stefan/Damon. So many viewers don't see the connection between Damon and Bonnie. But the truth is, re-watching the Pilot and a few of the earlier episodes from season 1 has made me realize that the D/B connection has been there all along. I even remembered while watching the earlier episodes that Bonnie actually found Damon very attractive, referring to him as "older, sexy danger guy". This goes to show you that Bonnie never disliked Damon at first glance until she found out what he was, which is a vampire and what he was doing.

Also, I just want to say that in one recent episode, in "Crying Wolf", when Caroline, Jeremy and Bonnie were using Luka to try and find answers, Caroline and Bonnie have a little talk about Bonnie and her relationship with Jeremy. Caroline tells Bonnie that she is a vampire and that Bonnie is a witch and that they really have no right to be...and Bonnie says "To be picky" to Caroline but then Caroline says, "No, to...judge". To me, it was referring to the current relationship between Jeremy and Bonnie and about the fact that Bonnie is judging her relationship with Jeremy because he happens to be the younger brother of her best friend, Elena, but it also foreshadowed the future between Damon and Bonnie as well IMO. Bonnie constantly judges Damon for what he is, which is a vampire, and Damon is always calling her on it. This is why I believe that the relationship between Jeremy and Bonnie is for Bonnie's spiritual growth, nothing more and nothing less. It is a preparation for Bonnie's outlook on love and unconditional acceptance (of Damon).

What are your thoughts about this?
last edited on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:27PM

Damon & Bonnie 20 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago SalvatoreBroFTW said…
heart
ahhhh i love your postss!!! they are so thoughtful and give a nice insight/hope for D/B.

i have to agree with u ..and in a way the connection seems similar to the one in the book. about how they start exploring themselves and growing individually as a person.
i really love reading your posts!! keep it up :D
over a year ago lacage0 said…
big smile
I agree and I do love this post! It has been established from the beginning and even though we have few and short scenes, the scenes say so much like Damon is geniune and natural when around Bonnie where as Dopple he is playing a role. It is shown that even though they are on seperate journeys, it seems that the journeys parallel each other. Good post!
over a year ago aceg said…
Thanks for your amazingly insightful and well-written posts. Fate brought them closer and make their connection stronger. Reading your comments are like listening to shepherd's song after a violent storm, they made me feel happy and thankful. Keep it up:)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago deluv said…
I'm a DE fan and i don't agree with your post however when I watch the first few episodes of season one i think the writers wanted to develop a connection between Bamon. I mean they didn't make him attack her for nothing also at that dance he asked Bonnie to dance with him and not Caroline I think it was leading somewhere but well DE scenes were much more stronger(my opinion, guys) and they captured people more quickly than the Bamon scenes did so they decided to drop them.
@deluv: If my memory is correct the main theme of TVD is originally D/E/S. The producer had made sure that. But writers never drop the idea of Bamon. In fact, the Bamon connection is more subtly written.
over a year ago MissAllisonLove said…
Girl... I love your post, I just have to agree and I always thought the same I mean... Damon didn't came to twon for Elena or Stefan, He came to get Kat out from the tomb and He needed a witch (including the necklace who belongs to Bonnie, practically to the bennett linage, but as Sheila says in the episode 8 of season 1, the necklace found Bonnie and she belongs it) so if you think well, He came to Mistic Falls for Bonnie... ♥ I love you girl for posting this!

@deluv: I agree with you a little on the thing of DE capturing more people than Bamon but it's because Delena has a lot of scenes in all the episodes (from 22 episodes in one season, they share moments like in 20 episodes) so, obviously they'll have more fans but for me that doesn't make them more stronger... And the thing of drop Bamon because Delena was more loved for the fans it's completely false. The triangle between DE & SE have to be yes or yes so even "if" Bamon would captured more fans than Delena, the producers in one way or other would put DE as we see them cause the triangle it's like one of the main things in the show (books) so... Bamon was not happening at the beggining because at first has to happen all the "elena loving both brothers, elena can't choose between them etc so at the end really find their soulmates or "endgame" where it comes Bamon.. at least in books it is... In show I don't know... But I have my hopes really high for Bamon....!
over a year ago deluv said…
@missAllisonLove I mean the first few episodes 15 episodes. Bamon had alot of scenes maybe the writers wanted it to lead somewhere...idk. That's just my opinion. I thought the writers wanted to develop SE relationship for one or two seasons and have Damon with Bonnie then go onto the main triangle.
over a year ago Blairwaldorffan said…
^Deluv, Damon/Bonnie never got scenes in first few episodes also, we got scene in 1.07 for 0.30 mins, then in 1.09 Hstory repeating where we get parking lot scenes, lots of show fans started to ship them from then and in 1.13 Damon wanting for a dance with Bonnie, that's it.We get hardly scenes and DE got 1000 times more scenes than us, anyways I agree with Missalisonlove about why DE have more fans than us. I love DB and I know one day, we will get more decent scenes,Bonnie/Damon was never a rebound between, it's not that Elena chooses Stefan that's why DB are there, it's because Damon/Bonnie always choose each other first, where it's love or hate, they always find each other first, their bond & connection are unique.IMO
over a year ago bonniebenett23 said…
That is the way i also saw them from the start.
There are other things to ,every time after Damon scene there was Bonnie or reverse.
He was in trouble in 1x11 like she was ,they lost something in 1x14
Bonnie ,her Grams he lost Katherine when he find out that she is not even there and that she didn`t care.
Also Damon knows a lot more about the Bennett`s especially when he said Katherine that she should learn her lesson not messing with them.
From the start i was captured more for d/b and those little things and i always had a feeling that their story can be amazing.

But i lost interest for the show that i didn`t even saw episodes since 2x11 because i just don`t see the point i don`t like how the writers telling the story and how they always put shadow on Bonnie`s character.
I don`t like when some things are showing to much and forcing to much like d/e (i don`t have anything against i just personally don`t see anything there and i`m not attract to their connection or story because i don`t see potential there ,i see them more like friends or like brother/sister vibe)

like i said the show is totally lost every sense for me that i don`t even have motivation to watch it not just because d/b don`t have scenes, but more because the story is becoming so obvious and goes in circle that i don`t even have to watch it, i know whats going to happen and for me that is very boring.
over a year ago skysamuelle said…
kiss
Buatutifully exposed reasoning... i'm som glad i'm not the only to have noticed those pointers!
over a year ago AngelusB said…
I never noticed the crow thing until someone mentioned it awhile back and I actually took the time to view the pilot again and you’re so right. It does show a connection and now every time she says ‘I predict’ and crow hits I give a gleeful ‘BAMON!’. It’s crazy and very insightful, wonderful post. I do feel he is the catalyst that set her powers off or a big part of it at least...

@Aceg Lmao, she does have that affect doesn’t she? ;)

@Deluv They had no intention of setting Bamon up then. They are meant for the future, in the mean time Damon is all wrapped up in his own selfish need for Katherine and said poor man’s substitute.
over a year ago ayananecohe said…
This is a good post. In Crying Wolf, Caroline did tell Bonnie about judging, but also Elijah taught Damon to show some respect. I think aside from the killing of "innocents", disrespect was another problem she had with Damon. In the parking lot scene she was scared, and probably felt violated, bullied and disrespected.

As for the aneurysms, they're like a "supernatural taser" she uses to assert power (in order to not feel powerless), protect herself, and hold her own against him because she sees him as a threat, and thinks he's smug and has no respect. I understand why she does it, and I can't even say she shouldn't, but I guess it's wrong. She judges to protect herself, not to feel superior.

Hopefully since she's powerless, she'll learn he doesn't want to hurt her. And think of it this way. Why doesn't she just ignore him? He gets under her skin and makes her feel enough to react.

Those two characters are similar and they don't even know it.

The acting between them is very subtle too. Some stuff I missed, but noticed when I re-watched.

@Bonniebenett23

I don't like the angle their telling the story from interesting either. It's boring, sappy and Damon looks desperate and it's unattractive. I like the other characters too, but it's really noticeable how underwritten Bonnie is. She's running around doing all this stuff for Elena, and cares about her as much as Stefan and Damon and is her best friend. We should know more about her. And this whole thing about John being Elena's "father" is ridiculous. He's her bio-dad, but he was always her uncle. And the doppleganger stuff? She's not going to die, and if she does she won't stay dead. She's a main character, so this stuff is pointless. I guess they're trying to make Elena interesting. She's to entrenched in romantic relationships.

over a year ago Lannieluv7 said…
You can always tell alot about a couple from there first meeting and they had a good one and the fact the writers established one early told me alot :)
over a year ago ducky8abug said…
@ayananecohe said:

"I like the other characters too, but it's really noticeable how underwritten Bonnie is. She's running around doing all this stuff for Elena, and cares about her as much as Stefan and Damon and is her best friend."

You can blame that on tired stereotypes. The stereotypical loyal black best friend is the only card executives/writers know how to play. Its true that Bonnie was originally supposed to be a fair-haired, fair skinned Druid priestess, that her scenes in the books were rare and that hiring Katerina Graham went against book-readers expectation. However, Caroline was also rarely mentioned in the books but was given considerable time to develop and grow in the show. The fact that Bonnie was denied that privilege speaks volumes.
@ayananecohe: bravo my friend! I couldn't say better myself.

@ducky8abug

It is stereotypes. On another forum some people and I came to the conclusion that we really would have liked to see the writers/producers break the mold instead following the standard format. It's disappointing. I'm guessing the direction the show is taking is about capitalism, and preserving the life of the product (the show), but I'm a consumer and the quality of the product has gone down. I think they sold out to appeal to women with all the romantic stuff, I feel like I'm watching a soap opera sometimes. And Damon, Elena and Stefan even have dolls now.

I don't why Caroline is more important than Bonnie now, but KW did say he wanted to "mine the actress for her worth." She and Elena were frenemies, but from the way they write the show you would think she is Elena's best friend. She gets to have a life of her own outside of Elena while Bonnie is the team's personal Tituba who's life revolves Elena, potentially Elena's younger brother. They didn't even do a good job writing Bonnie/Jeremy and barely gave them screentime. She's the bff/he's the brother, they're important to the main character. They shouldn't have toyed with that if weren't going to be considerate. Steven improvised that almost kiss, it wasn't in the script. They kept it, but I wonder if the writing was poor because Bonnie was in it.
And I really like Matt. He's sweet, and I'm not a rich girl so I appreciate his story. Now he's just a romantic prop.
@aceg

over a year ago MissAllisonLove said…
wink
@ayananecohe: I found myself nodding all the time with your opinion/comment... I'm soooo a fan of you!
@MissAllisonLove

over a year ago IxluvxCB said…
wink
I so argee with everything you said about Bamon! It was so obvious connection <3

great opinions/comments, guys !