Damon & Bonnie Is L. J. Smith really sad due to being fired?

ApplePie88 posted on Feb 12, 2011 at 04:59PM
IMO, I don't think she is. A part of me can't help but think that she wanted this. Because she knows that coming up with an endgame of this series would be like pulling teeth for her. So I can't help but feel that she feels some sort of relief that the responsibility has been given to someone else. She can say that she is saddened that she was fired, but I happen to think the opposite. I can't help but think that she really wanted this. She basically got scared of the OTT rabid Delena fans and she couldn't take the pressure.

I just found this email from L.J. Smith to a fan (supposedly to a Delena fan). There’s just a lot in this email that I don’t understand. This email only proves that this woman has absolutely no direction whatsoever. Reading this email almost makes me glad she was fired. She was seriously going to drag the triangle bullshit forever. Now, I am kind of happy that Stelena/Bamon will be the endgame for this series. Can you say clueless anyone? Bring on the ghostwriter. This series needs someone who can write this story with some direction and organization, which is something that L.J. clearly has lost sight of:

_________________________________________­___­___­___­___­___­___­___­___­_
Thank you for writing me such a beautiful, kind email. Yes, I think epic is the word for the love Elena and Damon have for each other in Midnight. I mean, she completely destroys a moon for his sake. I wrote a lot about Damon and Elena—and Bonnie and Damon, too—to show that Damon is finally discovering his deepest feelings. In the case of Elena, they amount to three simple words that makes Stefan think that Elena no longer loves him. He thinks that she simply wants to be with Damon now—and after all she does, it’s hard to blame him.

But authors don’t go free of consequences. This is still confidential, but In my case, the consequence is that I have been fired from writing the Vampire Diaries. Midnight is the last book you will ever see by L. J. Smith in this series. I even wrote the next book, Phantom, for the book packagers and my publishers, HarperCollins, but

Instead of sending me edits, they sent me a letter addressed to the anonymous ghostwriter who will be taking over the Vampire Diaries series.

Because I wrote about Damon and Elena’s love—and Damon’s feelings for Bonnie, too, no doubt—I have been dropped from the series.
You may wonder how they can go on writing books without me. It’s because when I was originally called by an agent to write the first trilogy, that agent was from a book packager (someone who puts together books and sells them to publishers) and what I wrote, I wrote “for hire.” Although I didn’t even know what that meant back in 1990, when I wrote the first books, I found out soon enough. It meant that even though I wrote the series, Alloy Entertainment (the book packager) owns the series. I own nothing. And Alloy and HarperCollins wanted me to write straight Stelena, and doubtless less about Bonnie, and I wouldn’t do it. I had to follow the characters and what they were telling me in my heart. But it was a very expensive and reckless thing to do. Book packagers like meek, obedient authors who do exactly as they are told. I’m not that way. And so now the rest of the Vampire Diaries series, however long it lasts, will be written by an anonymous ghostwriter, and not by me. I have fought and fought until even my agent wouldn’t back me. But Harper (the publisher) and Alloy are in perfect agreement. They think that you readers won’t be able to tell the difference, or won’t care. And since I wrote Phantom before they told me, that book may even sound a bit like my writing, because the ghostwriter can do anything she likes with it, all the while making every coming book strictly Stelena. I was told explicitly that I should have Elena realize that though she is fond of Damon her one true love is Stefan. I chose not to do that because it wasn’t what I felt in my heart. But that’s what the rest of the series will be because I won’t be around to say any differently.

I am very, very sad—sadder than I have ever been since my mother passed away—but there is absolutely nothing I can do. There will be no more Delena in the series—although Elena may be fond or physically attracted to Damon. I don’t know what it means for the Bamon faction. All I know is that I’m sad and hurt and horrified all at once.

By the way, don’t feel guilty because Delena moments were undoubtedly a big part of the reason I was fired. I simply wrote about Elena, and Bonnie, too, what I chose to write. And I can’t bring myself to regret writing Shadow Souls and Midnight, even though I’m desolated now.

Lisa
L. J. Smith

Ugh, I highlighted the nonsensical things she was saying in this email. She rants and raves about how “epic” Delena is (complete NONSENSE) but at the same time, she says that Damon/Bonnie only have “feelings” for each other??? And that Stelena is just nothing? Because from this email, that is what I am gathering. She writes about how “epic” Stelena is in her novels, how they are destined to be together forever, that they are eternal soulmates/Twin Flames (her description of Stelena matches the definition of TF’s), yet when she writes to her fans, she basically likes to say that Stelena is basically an annoyance. WTF is wrong with this woman???? Thank God she was fired. She was destroying her MAIN PROTAGONIST by having her slut it up with Damon while she basically brushes Stefan off as if he is nothing! You know, it’s funny how L.J. Smith said in her email (most likely to a DE fan) that she didn’t believe that Stefan was Elena’s one true love because it so-called “wasn’t what was in her heart”, when throughout the entire series, a series in which she wrote absolutely every single word, says just the opposite. The woman is clearly trying to save her ass and make herself “un-pro Stelena” to especially the DE fan base, because as far as I’m concerned, since the very first book (The Awakening) to the latest (including Midnight), she seems to be very “pro-Stelena”. If she wasn’t and if she didn’t believe that Stefan was her (Elena) one true love, then why the hell would she write from the very beginning of her story that Stefan was Elena’s destiny? When people have found “The One”, they know for sure that they are the one. The way Elena acted with Damon in the original trilogy made sense, because even though she was drawn to Damon, she was very deeply in love with Stefan; it was a special kind of love that she had never experienced before. It’s such nonsense and none of what she emails the Delena fans make absolutely any sense whatsoever. Basically, her books (her own ideas and writing) say one thing but her emails to her fans say another and this is why I have a hard time believing what she says.

Here’s another email, mostly about Bamon and of course, to a Bamon fan. Many of you have probably seen it before:

Thank you for your beautiful email. I completely understand why some fans get overeager—and especially if they think there is bad news for them. I hope that you will enjoy Midnight, as it is truly the story of Damon finding his deepest feelings for both Elena and Bonnie—and his feelings are definitely not platonic. In fact, to be blunt, without Bonnie and something that Bonnie does at the end, Damon would be permanently dead.

But right now I have to tell you something that makes me so sad and devastated—as bad, in fact, as I have ever felt except for when my mother died. It’s confidential, but it’s been so long now that I just can’t keep up a charade with good-hearted readers like you.

To put it briefly, I’ve been fired from writing the Vampire Diaries. And I’ve been fighting and fighting this since last fall, but there is absolutely no recourse. Midnight is the last L. J. Smith book in the Vampire Diaries series.

It probably sounds completely impossible to say that I am fired from writing my own books. But the truth is that they’re not mine, even though I write every word. When I was called by an agent and asked to write the vampire trilogy, that agent wasn’t from a publisher, but from what is now Alloy Entertainment, Ltd. And they are a book packager. A book packager sells books, already made with covers and all, to publishers, like HarperCollins—my publisher for The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle. And both these series were written “for hire” which means that the book packager owns the books the author produces. Although I didn’t even understand what “for hire” meant back in 1990, when I agreed to write books for them, I found out eventually, to my horror and dismay. It means that even though I have written the entire series, I don’t own anything about The Vampire Diaries. And from now on, the books will be written by an anonymous ghostwriter, just as Stefan’s Diaries are. It will say “Created by L. J. Smith” on the cover, but I am not allowed even to change a word in the ghostwriter’s book.

You might wonder why the book packager and Harper would do this to me. I am not sure either, but usually a book packager gets very submissive, non-assertive writers to write for them—not to mention that most of them, writers or ghostwriters, have had a lot of publishers turn their books down. Book packagers are used to do a lot of editing on their author’s books—because the books need intense editing.

But I’m not submissive, and I always fight editing. In Midnight, I had to fight to keep many Bonnie scenes in the book. I’m not at all sure they liked the things I was doing with Bonnie and Damon—they kept trying to cut such scenes. And of course they didn’t like Elena’s behavior at all. They want strictly Stelena books.

So last fall when I gave them the book Phantom, they didn’t bother to give me edits. Instead, I was given a letter addressed to the ghostwriter by name, telling her to completely rewrite my book. They wouldn’t even listen when I pleaded and promised to do Phantom as they required. The simply took the series and gave it to the ghostwriter … to write not only The Hunters trilogy, but whatever comes after that.

They have always tried to minimize my participation in The Vampire Diaries. On the very first original books in 1990 my name was almost invisible on the cover. And now they have my manuscript of Phantom, and the book the ghostwriter writes from it may even sound like I wrote it in places, because they have the right to use my work as they see fit. But the book after that … that will be pure ghostwriter. I would guess that they think you readers won’t see or care about the difference in writing styles and skills.

I have said this to another Bamon fan, and I’ll say it now. I had so many plans for Bonnie in The Hunters trilogy.
First of all, in Phantom, I had her showing a lot more emotion, grieving right along side Elena because—well, because Damon does something almost unbelievable for Bonnie in Midnight and he doesn’t get out unscathed.

I won’t spoil it if you don’t know. But they wanted Bonnie to have just put it all behind her—and with Bonnie’s character, I don’t think so! She is always completely openhearted with her emotions; even though she has matured so much in Midnight, she’s still Bonnie, who says exactly what she thinks, even if she hasn’t had a dose of Black Magic wine.

I wanted to write Moonsong, and give Bonnie an admirer who is just as sweet and even more naïve than she is—a pure white wolf with radiant blue eyes, who happens to be a werewolf with moonlight colored hair and the same blue eyes when he’s human. I wanted to show Damon’s surprising reaction to Xander the good werewolf (not at all happy about it—so much that he “accidentally” almost kills the poor innocent wolf) .

I also wanted to show how Damon rescues Bonnie from a vicious wolf-pack attack, and then let her fly away with him. And I wanted to show how Bonnie, who knows a little medicine from her sister Mary, helps Damon deliver Caroline’s twin babies when she goes into labor deep in the woods. But that’s one scene that I would have had to fight tooth and nail for, because even the glow that Damon and Bonnie share at seeing new life come into the world wouldn’t be enough for them to call it decent. They would undoubtedly have tried to make me cut it. But I still want to write it, so badly.

I even had the last book in that trilogy plotted out, where Stefan’s worst nightmare comes true and he takes so much blood from Elena that has to be taken to the hospital for a massive transfusion. He then decides to Influence Elena so hat she will forget his existence, and he does so, to Damon and Bonnie and Meredith’s consternation. I wanted to show how this affected each one of the characters, and how Bonnie once again begins to write in her diary, since Elena’s diary is also forgotten, along with Stefan. I like to write things from Bonnie’s point of view, as I did in Dark Reunion. But none of these things will happen, beause I won’t be around to write it. And I just can’t keep up the pretense any long with wonderful fans like you. I can’t pretend that Bonnie and Damon’s relationship will continue to grow as Damon learns to respect her as well as to love her. She has become “his girl” but I can’t follow up on that. I had to tell the ghostwriter that he would address Bonnie as “little redbird” when he speaks to her.

Sorry for the long rant, but the charade is over for me. I don’t know how Phantom will turn out, with a blend of my manuscript and the complete rewriting of it by the ghostwriter. But I dread it, and even more do I dread what the next books will be like. I’ve worked so hard to make Vampire Diaries a good series, only to have the unthinkable happen to me. And I have no one but myself to blame for not being submissive enough.

Lisa
L. J. Smith”

In THIS email, she talks about how beautiful the Bamon relationship is and how in the upcoming books, he’s going to fall deeper and deeper in love with her, but in the previous email, she constantly talks about Damon/Elena’s epic love???? Give me a break, please. I really do hope that the new ghostwriter is strictly a Stelena/Bamon fan because this constant triangle nonsense is absolute crap and it has destroyed the essence of the original story. Bring on the ghostwriter. From what I have noticed in L. J.’s recent blog post, it looks like a SE/DB endgame.

This woman is just trying to play all sides of the field when deep down, she knows that she has always wanted a Stelena/Bamon endgame. Also, I don’t believe for a second that she is saddened by being fired by Alloy/Harper. Deep down, she is elated. Because it automatically lifts the weight off of her shoulder and the responsibility is given to someone else to handle. L.J. Smith basically chickened out. She got s***-scared of the Delena fans and the rabidity, with them incessantly sending her emails of brainwashing BS about how Delena are Twin Flames and how they are fighting the destiny. Such BULLS***.

I’m sorry but if you’re gonna write s***, have a direction and stop being so freaking influenced by what the fans say. YOU are the one responsible for your own writing. The publishers didn’t like that she was basically throwing Stelena (which has been the main couple of this series since the beginning) under the f***ing bus so you can have Stefan’s one true love (Elena) fawning all over Damon, while Stefan is left in the story looking like a THIRD WHELL. I can see why the publishers did what they did. She couldn’t have the guts to end the Delena nonsense so the publishers took care of it by claiming her job. And it was completely justified. I’m sorry but I cannot feel sorry for her when she has been playing all of the fan bases left and right.

The woman was clearly heading for a SE/DB endgame; THAT was her original endgame. She can say otherwise and hide it all she wants now, but that is the truth, it’s so obvious. But then she got sidetracked by the rabid OTT Delena fans with them probably sending her tons of emails of garbage on a daily basis, of course she was going to be easily influenced by them. That is why her Return trilogy was so off-track. The fact of the matter is L.J. doesn’t own s*** in this series. She was HIRED to write this series. The publishers and the company own the characters, they own the storyline, they own the ENTIRE SERIES. L. J. was just hired to write all of this stuff for them. And the blunt truth is, if she wasn’t doing her job, she’s going to get fired. Obviously, she must have been doing something pretty bad for the publishers to become fed up with her and fire her. And she especially began having problems with the publishers when Shadow Souls, the Delena book, came out. Coincidence anyone?

Anyways, again, I really do hope that there are a lot of good Bamon moments in the upcoming novels. Because as far as I’m concerned, L. J. Smith has been brushing aside the deep, meaningful connection that these two characters (Damon & Bonnie) have in the books — a special connection that SHE HERSELF implemented, even before the original The Vampire Diaries began—for the overhype that is Delena and frankly, as a reader, I am sick and tired of it.

So, I really believe that L. J. Smith is actually feeling relief right about now because she felt the need to succumb to the pressure of the insanity that is the Delena fan base and please them as much as possible as a way to sell her books to them, knowing that there is a huge Delena overhype due to the TV show. And let's face it, most of this Delena hype has nothing to do with the couple of Damon/Elena. It has to do with the fact that Ian Somerhalder has shockingly pretty blue eyes. Come on, I'm not that stupid.

P.P.S. — Sorry for the angry rant. Just curious to see what others think...
last edited on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:52PM

Damon & Bonnie 13 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago veronicaaa said…
smile
es la primera vez que veo tanto lio en linea por un libro y no es para menos yo soy la primera en pelear por mi pareja bonnie y damon
esperemos y lj se encuentre bien y que los futuros libros tengan momentos bamon
over a year ago Blairwaldorffan said…
LJ's response, she told here that she has not decided about endgame couple yet and she is playing with us again, I don't know , I have stopped believing her.

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your e-mail.I have not still considered any couple that they would be endgame. I just follow my heart and write. If I would write the books, I will give Bonnie the same chance to be with Damon just as Elena. But I’ve been fired from writing the Vampire Diaries. Midnight is the last L. J. Smith book in the Vampire Diaries series.

You might wonder why the book packager and Harper would do this to me. I am not sure either, but usually a book packager gets very submissive, non-assertive writers to write for them—not to mention that most of them, writers or ghostwriters, have had a lot of publishers turn their books down. Book packagers are used to do a lot of editing on their author’s books—because the books need intense editing.

I don’t know how Phantom will turn out, with a blend of my manuscript and the complete rewriting of it by the ghostwriter. But I dread it, and even more do I dread what the next books will be like. I’ve worked so hard to make Vampire Diaries a good series, only to have the unthinkable happen to me. And I have no one but myself to blame for not being submissive enough.

Lisa
L. J. Smith

In response to the mail.

Dear L.J. Smith,

Thanks for Midnight, I have not read it but I heard some good spoilers of it. Is it true that you are fired because you want Damon/Elena as the endgame of the book series and publishers want Stefan/Elena? What about Damon/Bonnie in books? I thought that you love them and want them together.

With regards

Sarah
over a year ago ApplePie88 said…
Hmmm, yeah, I don't know. I always had a feeling that she wanted Stelena/Bamon endgame, especially when I was reading Nightfall. She seemed to have developed the deeper connection between Damon/Bonnie in that book. And as for the synopsis of Midnight, it talked about how in the book, Elena would choose between the brothers but it seems like that didn't happen at all and the triangle is prolonged even longer. So what changed? I'm trying to figure her out and I'm having a hard time in doing so. From what I gather, it seemed as though L.J. wanted to end the triangle in Midnight, but then she said that there would be no endgame till the end of The Hunters trilogy. I don't know, I'm just really confused.
over a year ago Maximumridefan said…
smile
*Shakes head* Once again ApplePie88 you have completely amazed me by one of your posts. I agreed with everything you said. And I didn't notice it before, but you're right, the trouble for L.J did start when Shadow Souls came out *cough* *Cough* Delena *cough*.

And I think in your earlier posts, you really sum up why we Bamon fans love book Bamon so much. :)
@Maximymridefan - Awww, thank you for your kind words. :) I greatly appreciate it. Yeah, well, now that L.J. is fired, I guess we will never know what she really had in store for us Bamonators. LMAO. I'm actually really anxious to see if the new writer will explore the Damon/Bonnie relationship. I mean, the D/B dynamic is too important for the new writer to brush under the rug like that. So, I'm really hoping that the new writer will be a hardcore D/B supporter as well as an S/E supporter.
over a year ago Maximumridefan said…
Let's hope...

And you're welcome!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago AngelusB said…
Your posts are really good and love how much thought you put into it but this line – ‘He thinks that she simply wants to be with Damon now—and after all she does, it’s hard to blame him.’ makes me want to do violence. Stefan shouldn’t have to deal with that constant insecurity in his relationship – he deserves better than that and she wanted nothing more...as you said, to throw him under a bus. *shudder* and to say one thing about Bamon but intend another? *eye roll*

I’m sure she’s feeling plenty of relief, especially now that she doesn’t have to pick a side.

I just hope the ghostwriter although I'm pleased there could be a lot of stelena that she/he doesn't forget about Bamon.
Thank you. :) It doesn't take much effort for me to rant. LMAO.

Yeah, if there is one aspect and dynamic of the story that I am inherently concerned about, it is most definitely the Bamon relationship. I mean, think about it. Would it make absolutely any sense after all of those intense, deep and meaningful moments between Damon/Bonnie, for the writer to just ignore it all and pretend that there was nothing between them? Sorry, but I simply cannot read a Vampire Diariesbook without the Bamon dynamic. To me, the Bamon dynamic is just as important (for me, even way more important) as the Stelena relationship and yes, the triangle dynamic between S/E/D and also the relationship between the Salvatore brothers.

I don't know though, about this "ghostwriter". All of it just seems so fishy to me. How do we know that L.J. hasn't made some kind of secret deal with this new writer to write the books while L.J basically tells her what she should write? There is still something really fishy and strange about this whole firing thing. Something is just not right. And also, why would she feel the need to keep something like this strictly confidential for all of these months, while suddenly feeling the need to tell one random fan about all of a sudden being fired? I don't get that. Shouldn't she have been upfront about something this serious from the start when she knew she was in trouble? This is what I don't get and even though she has made a recent public, official announcement/confirmation about the whole thing, I still feel like there is something she is not telling us. Maybe I'm just paranoid...or crazy.
I have a tendency to rant too but it doesn’t become lengthy understanding posts like yours it’s more of a buck load of curses and self mumbling. ;-)

It doesn’t make any sense to me whatsoever that she would continue to throw Bamon on the feeling cliff when she has gone through so much to give them their own bond, nicknames and otherwise heart warming moments. It’s been at that impasse for sometime already – It feels like a step back if she doesn’t want to get past that.

I wouldn’t bother with the books without them either. It would take something away from it for me as they happen to be the upside in it for me – much like the TV!Show. I couldn’t imagine it without Stefan, Bonnie and Damon; they’re the three that keep me coming back.

My far-fetched theory is, maybe she’s the ‘ghost writer’ since she dug her own grave and doesn’t know any other way to dig herself out of it. If it’s as you say been month’s since she found out about the whole change, she has to have lined something else up. I did hear about her book, one in which she wanted to give a bonnie-centric character and give her a triangle of her own, one would think she learnt from the first. Lol.

I .. don’t know what to think, I just hold and hope for the best!
BAMON QUOTES FROM MIDNIGHT:

1. In the front yard, Bonnie was abasing herself. She couldn't help thinking, even now, about how handsome Damon looked, how wild and dark and ferocious and gorgeous. She couldn't help thinking about the times he smiled at her,laughed at her, come to save her at her urgent call. She honestly thought that someday...but now she felt her heart was breaking in two.

2. "I don't want your filthy slave", he snarled. "I want my own back! She's worth...." Here he came to a stop , trying to calculate how many ordinary girls Bonnie was worth. A hundred? A thousand?
"She is worth infinitely more ----" he begun.

3. "They hurt you, didn't they, little bird? I saw... I saw your face," Damon said in his new choked-up voice.
Bonnie didn't know what to say. But suddenly she didn't mind how hard he squeezed her. She even found herself squeezing back.
Suddenly, to her shock, Damon broke the Koala-grip and pulled her up and kissed her on the lips very gently.
"Little redbird! I'm going to go now, and make them pay for what they did to you"

4. "Can you remember three things?" she said to Damon.
"I'd gamble on it" This time Damon kissed her softly on the forehead.

5. "Second, you left me at that horrible inn for a week--" As if she could see inside his mind, she saw this slice into him like some kind of wooden sword. He was holding her so tightly that she really couldn't breathe. "I.. didn't mean to. It was really only four days but I should never have done it" he said.
Bonnie woke and realized she had been unconscious for a few minutes. She began to shiver, and once she started she couldn't seem to stop. She felt a wave of heat envelope her, and she knew that Damon was trying to warm her, but still the trembling wouldn't go away.
"What's wrong?" Damon asked, and his voice was different from usual.
"I don't know," Bonnie said. She didn't. "Maybe it's because they kept starting to throw me out the window. I wasn't going to scream about that," she added hastily, in case he assumed she would, "but then when they talked about torchuring me ---"
She felt a sort of spasm go through Damon. He was holding her too hard. "Torchuring you! He threatened you with that?"

6. "So it was your fault it got poured out, was it?"
"Well, I figure it was. You couldn't have done it if I hadn't gotten drunk, and --- wha-what's wrong, Damon? Are you mad too?" He really was holding her so that she couldn't breathe
Slowly, she felt her arms loosen a little. "A word of advice, little redbird. When people threaten to torchure and kill you, it be more -- expedient -- to tell them it was someone else's fault. Especially if that happens to be the truth"
"I know that!" Bonnie said indignantly. "But they were going to kill me anyway. if I'd told about you, they'dve hurt you too"
Damon pulled her roughly back now, so that she had to look in him in the face. Bonnie could also feel the delicate touch of a telepathic mind probe. She didn't resist; she was too busy wondering why he had plum-colored shadows under his eyes. Then he shook her a little, and she stopped wondering.
"Don't you understand even the basics of self-preservation?" he said, and she thought he looked angry again. She certainly was different from any other time she had seen him -- except once, she thought, and that was when Elena had been 'disciplined' for saving Lady Ulma's life, back when Ulma had been a slave. He had the same expression then, so menacing that even Meredith had been frightened of him, and yet so filled with guilt that Bonnie had longed to comfort him.
And to her total astonishment, the ever composed, brand-new vampire blurted, "I'm sorry. I didn't think about how that place would be for you. Is there anything that will make you feel better?"
Bonnie blinked. She wondered, seriously, if she were dreaming. Damon didn't apologize. Damon didn't famously ddin't apologize, or explain, or speak so nice to people, unless he wanted something from them. But one thing seemed real. She didn't have to sleep in that brown room anymore.
This was so excited that she flushed a little, and dared say, "Could we go down to the ground? Slowly? because the truth is I'm just terrified of heights."
Damon blinked, but said, "Yes. I think I can manage that. Is there anything else you would like?"
"Well-- there are a couple of girls who'd be donors happily -- if -- well -- if there's any money left -- if you could save them.."
Damon said a little sharply, "Of course there's some money left. I even wrung your share back out of that hag of a land lady"

7. The microseconds stretched infinitely , Elena felt her eyes slowly getting wider, even though she knew they were flying open.
She saw Stefan leisurely reach across her to try to twine his fingers around Bonnie's leg, even though she knew what she was seeing was a lightening fast grab for the petite girls' ankle. She even heard instantly Damon's telepathy No, little Fool! as if he was speaking the words in his accustomed lazy tones of superiority.
Then, still in slow motion, Bonnie's knees bent and she launched into the air above the circle.
But she never touched the ground. Somehow, a black streak, stunningly fast even in a slow-motion horror film that Elena was watching, landed where Bonnie would have landed.
And then Bonnie was being thrown, being hurled too fast for Elena's eyes to track -- outside the barren circle and then there was a dull thud -- too fast for Elena's mind to track as being Bonnie's landing.
Quite clearly, she heard Stefan cry, "Damon" in a terrible voice. And then, Elena saw the thin dark objects -- like curving lances -- that were already shooting downward.
Elena could hear Bonnie too, through her link with Damon, but at first all Bonnie could do was sob, "Damon, oh please! I didn't know - I never thought --that anyone would get hurt! You saved my life! And now --oh, please! I can't say goodbye!"
She didn't understand Elena thought, that she was talking to a very young child. But Damon had sent the child a message to repeat.
"I'm supposed to tell you goodbye though." For the first time the child looked uneasy "And -- and I'm supposed to tell you 'I'm sorry' too. He thought you'd know what that meant and you'd forgive me. But... if you don't... I don't know what will happen --- oh!"
And deep in Damon's mind, she saw Bonnie's expression change, from tearful peanance to astonished fear to careful control. As if Bonnie had grown up all in an instant.
"Of course -- of course I understand. And I forgive you -- but you haven't done anything wrong. I'm such a silly girl -- I.."
"We don't think your a silly girl," the child said, looking vastly relieved. "but thank you for forgiving me. There's a special name I'm meant to call you too but I --"
"Was it redbird?" Bonnie asked, carefully and the little boy's pale face lit up.
"That was it. You already knew. Your all..all nice and so smart.. thank you for making it easy"

8. Stefan squeezed Elena's hand,"She's been trying so hard -- for you. She --she loves him too, you see. I didn't even know that. I guess..I guess.. I have been blind on all sides"

9. The pulsing was made up of nothing but a memory. The memory of a girl with dark blue eyes and golden hair and a small face with wide brown eyes.
And the taste: the taste of two maiden's tears. Elena. Bonnie
Putting the two of them together they formed, not exactly a thought, not exactly a picture. But to someone who only understood words, it might be translated.
They are waiting for me, if I can figure out who I am
And that sparked a fierce determination.

_________________________________________­___­___­___­___­___­___­___­___­___­___­__

I mean, how could a dynamic/connection like that ever be brushed under the rug? I just can't see it. It's much too intense, meaningful and powerful to avoid all at once.

Also, it is my belief that Damon only "thinks" he loves Elena. He keeps claiming that he loves Elena but then again, I'm a firm believer that ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. What exactly has Damon done in terms of action to prove that he really does love Elena? This is why I simply cannot understand the so-called "love story" between Delena. Because as far as I'm concerned, it has always been sexual attraction/lust. There is no depth, it's all surface. I know that Damon genuinely loves Bonnie because he actually proves it through ACTION, not just words.

He's done alot of things to help Bonnie, he protects her whenever he can. He's always saving her and now in Midnight, his saving Bonnie constantly throughout the series reaches it's all time peak, where he actually [SPOILER ALERT!] sacrifices himself in order to save Bonnie.[/SPOILER ALERT!] I mean, what more proof is needed? It's so obvious that Damon loves Bonnie, yet, I don't think Damon is even aware of it because his head is so enormously clouded with the image of Elena. And also, the reasons for Damon "loving" Elena, to me, are downright shallow. Damon is only in love with her because she (Elena) happens to be this drop-dead gorgeous girl with, say it with me now, "long golden blonde hair with eyes the colour of Lapis Lazuli". Also, because she is a supernatural human with powers, with special tasting blood which is irresistible to all supernatural entities/beings (including vampires), and also, because Elena has a powerful aura and Damon seems to be stupidly infatuated with that, because he has stated over and over that he likes "powerful" women. Well, isn't Bonnie in a way powerful, considering that she has extremely strong and powerful psychic powers and abilities?

This is the main difference between Stefan's love for Elena and Damon's love for Elena. Stefan actually truly, deeply and genuinely loves Elena; all of her and he accepts her, despite all of her flaws such as her selfishness etc. And Elena deeply, genuinely and unconditionally loves Stefan and she accepts Stefan for what he is, which is a vampire because of unconditional love and acceptance. STEFAN LOVES ELENA'S SOUL AND ELENA LOVES STEFAN'S SOUL BECAUSE THEY ARE ONE SOUL. Stefan Salvatore IS Elena Gilbert and Elena Gilbert IS Stefan Salvatore; they are each other's 'MIRROR'. Stefan has proven over and over again, that he loves Elena so much so that he would even be willing to give her up to his brother Damon, if that is what she (Elena) really wanted (I think this is stated in Midnight). Because that is the most selfless thing that Stefan can do; to give up the ONE PERSON who completes him in every way possible. Stefan would die for Elena and Elena would die for Stefan, do you honestly believe that Damon Salvatore would genuinely die and give up his own SELFISH life for Elena Gilbert? I have yet to see that and I have never seen Damon imply such a thing, or maybe I have missed it, who knows. This is why I laugh at Delena fans who are trying to say that Damon died in Midnight or sacrificed himself to save Bonnie for Elena. WTF? Sorry, I don't buy that and I doubt that Damon would just give up his life for someone because of someone else. What are Damon's other "meaningful" reasons for even loving her (Elena)? Oh yeah, there are NONE.

This is why I have never understood the Delena connection and how it went from a basic physical attraction in the first original trilogy to some OTT dramatic "fake Twin Flame" connection in The Return trilogy. Damon does love Bonnie and you wanna know how I know this? Because Bonnie is the ONLY person so far in this entire series, to EMERGE Damon's inner soul; his soul burst because of her. In Nightfall, with the bathtub scene between Damon & Bonnie, Damon actually felt an emotion that he has never ever felt before ever: JOY and HAPPINESS. Because Bonnie was alive, Damon was HAPPY. Has Damon ever expressed this kind of feeling and emotion around Elena? The answer is no. Damon and the feeling the emotion "happy" normally don't go in the same sentence.

Damon & Bonnie's connection is very meaningful and special and I don't understand how anyone who is a reader of these books could ever be blind to that. Damon's mind loves Elena, but in my opinion, Damon's heart and soul loves Bonnie. Why hasn't Elena helped to emerge his soul, as well as bring out his best and true inner self—the "true" Damon—the way that Bonnie has, if the connection between Damon/Elena is SO meaningful?
*makes with some heavy duty crowd applause* All very thoughtfully questions although the answer is pretty obvious. Bonnie!. He clearly loves her just hasn't realized it himself yet and one would expect that he would considering his soul sought her out to say goodbye. He is such a complicated creature - making his life infinitely harder if he would only give up on his farce and realize the truth L.J herself as so beautifully written.
over a year ago ducky8abug said…
smile
I'd imagine she feels regret about the circumstances of her dismissal. I'd also assume that the experience has left her disillusioned. However, the decision to share those experiences (with her fans) must have been a great catharsis for her. So yes, I do think on some level she feels relief but I also suspect that she is grieving the loss of a lucrative career.
over a year ago pattykirsche said…
wink
But she's still a writer. She wrote several series, she won't be poor b/c she's got cut from TVD.