Classic Literature Quote Game

courtney7488 posted on Oct 19, 2009 at 06:00PM
The object of the game is to guess what classic work of literature the quote is from. I'll start off with a quote; the next person will guess where it is from and will post another quote.

I'll start with an easy one:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way . . ."

Classic Literature 41 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago whitelion said…
That quote is from A Tale of Two Cities.

"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"
over a year ago courtney7488 said…
Anna Karenina

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
over a year ago ppv said…
The Picture of Dorian Gray

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
last edited over a year ago
Pride and Prejudice

'Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore'
"The Raven"

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

"The same day the young man set forward on his journey, furnished
with the three paternal gifts, which consisted, as we have said,
of fifteen crowns, the horse, and the letter for M. de Treville--
the counsels being thrown into the bargain"
The Three Musketeers

"Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place....With us it ain't like that. We got a future. We got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us."
Of Mice and Men

"To owe life to a malefactor . . . to be, in spite of himself, on a level with a fugitive from justice . . . to betray society in order to be true to his own conscience; that all these absurdities . . . should accumulate on himself—this is what prostrated him."
Les Misérables

All men live enveloped in whale-lines. All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, ever present perils of life.
Moby Dick

"1801. - I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with. This is certainly a beautiful country!"
Wuthering Heights

'His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under the left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird. He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham-plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling'
Treasure Island

"This building passed, the fields, hitherto flat, declined in a rapid descent Evidently a vale lay below, through which you could hear the water run. One light glimmered in the depth."
Shirley

“There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness.”

The Count of Monte Cristo

"I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."
The Great Gatsby

"She had, while a very young girl, as soon as she had known him to be, in the event of her having no brother, the future baronet, meant to marry him; and her father had always meant that she should."
Persuasion

"Why am I going there now? Am I capable of that? Is that serious? It is not serious at all. It's simply a fantasy to amuse myself; a plaything! Yes, maybe it is a plaything."

Crime and Punishment

"One of the next arrivals was a stout, heavily built young man with close-cropped hair, spectacles, the light-colored breeches fashionable at that time, a very high ruffle, and a brown dress coat."
War and Peace

'Houses were shut tight, and cloth wedged around doors and windows, but the dust came in so thinly that it could not be seen in the air, and it settled like pollen on the chairs and tables, on the dishes.'

The Grapes of Wrath

"The streets are mean, the temples ineffective, and though a few fines houses exist they are hidden away in gardens or down alleys whose filth deters all but the invited guest."
A Passage to India

'The generation of men is like that of leaves. The wind scatters one year's leaves on the ground, but the forest burgeons and puts out others, as the season of spring comes round. So it is with men: one generation grows on, and another is passing away.'
Cry, the Beloved Country

"The time is out of joint: O cursed spite, That ever I was born to set it right! Nay, come, let's go together."
Hamlet

"The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody’d move. . . . Nobody’d be different. The only thing that would be different would be you."

The Catcher in the Rye

Fear of danger is ten thousand times more terrifying than danger itself.

Robinson Crusoe

"Who controls the past controls the future."
George Orwell

"The stupider one is, the closer one is to reality. The stupider one is, the clearer one is. Stupidity is brief and artless, while intelligence wriggles and hides itself. Intelligence is a knave, but stupidity is honest and straightforward."

The Brothers Karamazov

"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
cool
To Kill a Mockingbird

I had considered how the things that never happen, are often as much realities to us, in their effects, as those that are accomplished.
David Copperfield

"There are no characters in this story and almost no dramatic confrontations, because most of the people in it are so sick and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces."
Slaughterhouse-Five

"But on the whole his life ran its course as he believed life should do: easily, pleasantly, and decorously."
The Death of Ivan Ilyich

"She’s going to adopt me and civilize me, and I can’t stand it. I been there before."
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

The Great Gatsby

"The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. "
The Awakening

'Death is like a fisherman, who, having caught a fish in his net, leaves it in the water for a time; the fish continues to swim about, but all the while the net is round it, and the fishermen will snatch it out in his own good time.'

On the Eve

"Even so, my spirits heightened whenever I felt in my pocket the key to this apartment... my books were there, and jars of pencils to sharpen, everything I needed, so I felt, to become the writer I wanted to be."
Breakfast at Tiffany's

They were creatures of mastery, possessing all manner of unknown and impossible potencies, overlords of the alive and the not alive. They were fire-makers! They were gods!

White Fang

"Now that I’ve to be sitting on a bare board, does your worship want me to flay my bum?"

Don Quixote

"I am a sick man.. I am a spiteful man. I am a most unpleasant man."

Frankenstein

"You see. we're all savages, more or less. We're supposed to be civilized and cultured- to know all about poetry and philosophy and art and science, and so on; but how many of us even know the meanings of these names?"
The Secret Garden

"Do you know why books such as this are so important? Because they have quality. And what does the word quality mean? To me it means texture. This book has pores."
over a year ago Pethfan said…
Fahrenheit 451

"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
Scaramouche

"He was sounding the deeps of his nature, and of the parts of his nature that were deeper than he, going back into the womb of Time."