Buffy the Vampire Slayer Buffy Spot Poppies: Ideas

ArabellaElfie posted on Oct 12, 2009 at 03:25AM
Hi everybody!

ArabellaElfie here (as I am sure you can figure out, what with my username popping up and all) with an idea. As many of you know link have been delayed for a few months (looking like Spring) and we have some time to fill so why not expand on something that was sort of left out of link? What am I talking about? The Fan Section of the Scoobies that never happened.

Here is my basic plan:

What are the Buffy Spot Poppies?

The Buffy Spot Poppies (name pending) are the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Spot version of the Fanpoppies. The Fanpoppies are a yearly awards ceremony in which the whole of Fanpop honors best comments, best videos, best user gallery, fanart, etc. This would be the twist to make it Buffy the Vampire Slayer Spot specific.

What will be nominated? How do I nominate something? How do I get nominated?

My idea (and this is just the first structure plan, we can change anything here just like we molded the Scoobies as a group) is that we would follow the structure of the Scoobies and begin with a forum for category ideas (anything YOU want) and then start a forum for nominations, anything nominated would require both a nomination and a second to be offically placed on the ballot. I would ask that people do not nominate themselves.

Can we nominate anything?

Basically, YES! Since we are opening up the categories to be anything that we want pretty much everything can be nominated. For example, I'm sure that we will have something along the lines of best uploaded video (shipping), best uploaded video (fanpopper made), best uploaded video (general) etc but who is to say you can't ask for something more specific. I can't even think of anything at the moment but you get the idea. Best comments (overall), best comments (humor), Best comments (informative), Best comments (on-going joke) etc. If we can come up with a category that makes sense and it's not a stand alone nominee I think anything can be nominated. But....

Are there any requirments to be nominated?

Yes! This is the one thing I think people may not like but I have reasoning. First allow me to explain the requirments that a piece must adhere to in order to be nominated;

Titles: Titles need to be somewhat descriptive and not too general. BTVS, for example, would be way too general but Sombero Giles would be good. The title needs to directly relate to the image/video.

Keywords: The Keywording needs to be correct and present. For example, a wallpaper of Willow and Tara from the Body would have keywords like "Willow, Tara, Twillow, The Body, Season five, season 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joyce death" etc. but not Spike, Angel, Spuffy, Bangel, Xander, etc. The keywording needs to be right and it needs to be there.

Credit Ideally the piece would be credited perfectly but I understand that sometimes it's hard to find track down who made something (people posting vids that they had saved on their computer but don't have the Maker's name, for example) but there needs to be atleast an attempt to credit it properly. For example, on an uploaded video that was reposted on Youtube there has to be at minimum the username of the person who uploaded it.

Those are the three big pieces I can think of that should be included. If anybody can think of anything else just bring it up so we can talk about it.

The reason I want to push this is to discourage massive uploading/repeats, improve the search engine and help protect Fanpop.

What if there is something really, really, really, REALLY good that doesn't fit the requirments to be nominated? Also, it's REALLLLLY good!

My thoughts is that there are two ways to approach this, first in the comments ask the user to fix the title/keywording and credit (here is where the slack on the credit helps), also just link by adding some good keywords in the comment section. The second idea is group these in a separate category called 'These are SOOO good but we can't really nominate them but we want to so badly.... please keyword them!'

I made/uploaded/created some really good content (images, videos, links, picks, comments, forums, etc) but nobody notices what I do, can I do anything without feeling like an attention slut?

Yes! I will (if this whole thing is a go) open a forum for us to post some things that might have been overlooked, and if you still don't feel comfortable with that just email me and I'll put it up in the forum of overlooked treasures.

When is this happening?

The timeline is something we need to work out as a group but my thought is that we would open the category forum this week and then the nomination forum in the middle of November. Nominations would end towards the middle of December and voting would run for about two weeks and then we would have the ceremony in chat just like the Scoobies when it was most convient for all involved.

How will we vote?

Voting will be done through email to a group of 'counter uppers and then emailed to the person who will run the ceremony. I am fully willing to do this role again unless somebody objects.

This sounds awesome! Can I help?

Yup! Help is always needed and appericated. The biggest thing is to work on the nominations and all that jazz but when it comes time for the voting Counter Uppers are needed.

Can I still upload content to be considered?

This is sort of whisy washy. I am going to say yes and that we will still allow newly uploaded content to be considered until December 1st (as it's an even month... the Fanpop clock counts back in months, not days or date specific).

Buffy Spot Poppies? Really? That's your idea for a name?

.....Yea..... sorta.... any other ideas or is this one a go?

What do I do now? How do I start?

At the moment and until we see if we have enough people to support this, just post here. Share your thoughts, your feelings and anything else you have. Also, if you have some images, picks, vids, comments, forums, articles (ANYTHING) that you think should be nominated post it here and then we'll just copy and paste it when/if all the Forums and this idea is a go. Don't let the idea slip away.

So..... thoughts?

LINKS TO THINGS OF IMPORTANCE

link - Developing a list of categories

link: Links to thinks that should so be nominated
last edited on Oct 19, 2009 at 03:42AM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 8 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago AgentCoop said…
smile
I'm in!
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
heart