Buffy the Vampire Slayer Buffy/Angel - why do you love the pair?

bendaimmortal posted on Jun 14, 2009 at 12:01PM
When I first waas introduced to BTVS in 1998, I didn't much think of this pairing. My favoritewas Xander & Cordelia. And Oz & Willow.

I just watched the first 3 seasons through for the longest time and was surprised how little I remembered while watching them, seeing to how many times I've ssen them.

SO, Buffy and Angel...

The end of the second season is still officially the saddest things I've ever seen. Such quality drama in very deep and heartfelt tone. And the song "Full of Grace" is just the perfect choise for that end. And all of that makes the end of the third season so perfectly bittersweet. I can't decide which ending I love the most.

"What about me? I love you so much. And I tried to make you go away. I killed you but it didn't help. And I hate it! I hate it that it's so hard. And that you can hurt me so much. I know everything you did because you did it to me. And I wish I wished you dead. I don't. I can't."

I noticed while I still love the whole idea of a vampire and a vampire slayer in love and how true and dramatic their love and it's story is... I became to wonder - would this pair really be much, without that? I mean, if there was no danger that Angel could lose his soul, or if he wasn't even a vampire - 'cause I think they really do love each others for who they are, and the practical matters have no meaning for them. I haven't seen all the seasons through, especially not of Angel TV serie, but do we ever get to know what kind of a personality Angel REALLY is? 'Cause I think he is sweet and caring and a little funny and everything loveable but... I think much of what he does and says is driven by his tortured humanity, and that's not exactly too real. WOuld Buffy and Angel be a realistic couple and so much in love if Angel's story was at least somewhat different and if they still somehow were to meet?

And what about the gypsy curse then? "One moment of true happiness"? Whoeve rdecided it has to take literal SEX to feel true happiness? Shouldn't it be enough that ANgel has Buffy's love and gets to be near her? I suppose not then because that wasn't enough to lose the soul... And the third season suggests that even sex just generally would make him lose the souls, with Faith trying to get it on, in efforts to bring Angelus forward. This makes even less sense. He wouldn't have even loved Faith. I mean, after all sex is just physical bliss. In my view of world TRUE happiness comes from simply true love, friends, family and all that stuff. Not from physical bliss. I guess it does make sense if the sex was with Buffy, as Angel truly loves her but as said, I would've thought having her love and in his life would've been enough for true happiness. Or maybe "true" in this case is trying to mean "undistracted" or something. A moment where he doesn't remember they can't have the future they'd want. Still. A little poignant vision for my taste, about the whole true happiness thing. (:
last edited on Jun 14, 2009 at 12:07PM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago destuctogirl said…
As a viewer who didn't watch the Buffy or Angel's until way after they were both off the air and was able to view them all within the span of a month or so, I will say without a doubt that Buffy and Angels relationship would work. I am a firm Bangel fan, but can appreciate much of what happens in later seasons on both as growth for the characters. But I wholeheartedly support Buffy and Angel together.

As you will find in future eps, the whole happiness clause is further discussed in Angel and if you have never watched them I advise you to do that. My thoughts are that the losing of Angels curse is not just sex, but sex with Buffy. Buffy is Angels one true love, and knowing that she trusts him enough, loves him compeletly even with him being a vamp, and giving herself to him in such an intimate act was what cause perfect happiness. Can Angel and Buffy be together who knows, but it would really make me a happy girl.
over a year ago bendaimmortal said…
I've seen Angel series seasons 3 and 4 so I know they took the whole true happiness point to more realistic level as in it requiering happiness of his son and friends and so on... and someone made a good point that in Buffy serie Angel didn't have friends nor family so sex with Buffy was more easily to become the true happiness.

But I think you missed my point in the Buffy/Angel relationship matter; I was pondering woul they become a pair especially so in love if Angel's story went differently. What was Angel like before he bacame a tortured soul because of all he had done as Angelus, before he eve rlost his soul in the first pplace, before he became a vampire? Taking note on what he was like in the Angel episode "Spin the Bottle" (which is a hilarious ep, by the way), I suppose he was nice enough person but still...

There are a lot of "what if" episodes I would've loved to see that they never made.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago destuctogirl said…
I think that Angels evolution is what makes him interesting as a character. If Angel would turn human now, would he an Buffy be together, I like to think so. He would maintain his understanding of her world and still be the same guy. Buffy fell in love with the vampire with a soul, loved him still when he was Angelus because he was a part of Angel. Loved him when he was human in IWRY on Angel. I just dont see that changing.

Would she have loved Liam, who knows, not sure how that would even be an issue. Regardless of his weaknesses as a human he was still kinda hot, so I think she would have been intially attracted to him, but would that attraction been enough to grow into the love that Angel and Buffy had, im not sure.