Atheism Why?

unfair_love posted on Apr 19, 2009 at 07:27PM
i was just wondering why you dont believe in A god... this is related... i just need some answeres... then i will explain

Atheism 18 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
smile
I don't find religious stories plausible. To me, they are interesting mythologies.
over a year ago obsessedwithmd said…
i don't find the stories at all logical and i haven't seen any tangible proof to any of the stories therfore i don't believe. and i also have a problem listening and following rules that could effect my way of think or life.
over a year ago Ayma said…
wink
I think I don't need any reason to not believe in a god, people who do should explain why they do. Why begin with the assumption that you must beleive?.
over a year ago waichingliu81 said…
i find religion to be irrelevant and unimportant. i don't need a god, nor anyone for that matter to define who i am. i believe that part of the reason why the world is in such a terrible state is because of the existence of religion itself. i have nothing against jews, christians, buddists etc- it is when they enforce their beliefs on me and when they think they are right and of whom cannot be answered towards, that i find disturbing.
over a year ago dustfinger said…
i find that Religion brings out the worst in people and makes people think stuff is stupid because of that religion
over a year ago adavila said…
meh
there are some answers now explain
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
laugh
^LOL! Good point!
over a year ago dustfinger said…
Take Gay marriage
If we didn't have the bible, people would allow it and gay people would get married
That's my main point
over a year ago marissa said…
^^ dustfinger, I mean no disrespect when I say that your main point for not having religion seems a little weak. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone being an atheist, but your saying that if the Bible said "If thou want to wed someone of the same sex, that'd be just fine", you'd believe in God?
What about all of the other things that Christianity - and other religions - say that seem so controvertial in this day and age? Is it just gay marriage, or are you generalizing?
And I don't entirely believe that gay marriage would be a-okay if it wasn't mentioned in any religious texts. I know people who don't believe in any god and still think gat marriage is wrong, that it "breaks down famlies" etc, etc (which is ridiculous... but I won't go there, lol)

Also, the media loves to show the times when religion brings out the worst in people - and I'll be the first to admit that it does - but it also brings out the best. That's just less interesting, so people don't talk about it as much. But think of all the charities that have been formed because of regilion, amoung other things. I think we have to remember that, with religion, there is a yin to a yang.

Sorry, I didn't mean to target you or anything, I just discovered this spot and was looking through some forums. I just felt like commenting :)
over a year ago mooimafish17 said…
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
over a year ago ruby1000 said…
They are not logical, plausable (cant spell), they (in my opinion) are for people who don't think that their own life is enough to live for so they turn to religion as their reason.
I just have always thought of them as stories rather than the 'truth'...
over a year ago novusluna said…
There's no reliable proof that there is a god, or that there is not, for that matter. But, even if there is a god, I don't understand why it's a big deal? Why should we change our life styles to what is considered acceptable by him? And no, I don't really expect an answer for that question, mainly because there isn't one.

x
over a year ago nanajduchamp said…
because I never found enough reason to believe in God
over a year ago adavila said…
And the explenation never came
over a year ago ImAnEasel said…
Well...

1. I was brought up to be an atheist.

2. There's no proof of the existence of any god.

3. I have a lot of enemies who are religious and a lot of friends who are not.

4. I've noticed that religion seems to take away people's sense of humour.

5. All the wisest people are atheists.

6. There are so many holes in every religious story.

7. Religion has been proved wrong several times.

8. Religion is often used as an excuse to do despicable things. This is probably the most important reason of all.

9. Religion often restricts people's lives.

So yeah... That's why I'm an atheist. Thanks for reading! If you did read it, that is...
over a year ago ImAnEasel said…
laugh
Oh and

10. It's just plain ridiculous.
over a year ago LizzyTheCat said…
I agree with obsessedwithmd.
over a year ago Tyler47 said…
If you're talking about the christian god; it's mainly because he contradicts science, logic, and himself repeatedly.