Anime Love Issue

Dan_B posted on Jan 13, 2014 at 07:03PM
I have debated for a long time about posting this online because it made me feel strange and uneasy at times but now i feel like i must. I think i am in love with a character from an anime movie. I know, weird right. It's Arrietty from Hiromasa Yonebayashi's Studio Ghibli production 'The Secret World Of Arrietty'. (I will post a link to IMDb at the end). I first saw the movie in mid 2011 when an English dubbed version was released and that's when i first felt it.

I'm not going to lie, it freaked me the hell out (the feelings, not the movie in general). Since then i must have seen that movie a hundred times. I don't think I've ever gone a week without watching that movie. Overall i am a fan of the Studio Ghibli movies, it think they are pure art, but this is a whole other level. I can't understand why I am having these feelings for an anime character who doesn't even exist in the real world.

I printed out small screenshots of her from the movie that i keep in my wallet. I often look at them when i fell depressed, lonely or stressed and i find simply looking at her calms me down. I listen to the soundtrack 'Arrietty's song' as it reminds me of her (I will link it).

I am right and this is not normal, right? Does anyone here know why someone would feel so connected with a fictional character? Does anyone else on this forum know this feeling, has anyone else here felt it? Ladies, would you be weirded-out by a guy who has experienced this?

IMDb - The Secret World of Arrietty (2010) - IMDb
Arrietty's Song - Arrietty's Song - YouTube

Plus, if you want to watch an English Dub of this movie, i recommend the UK dub much, much more than the US dub, better voice acting.

Anime 2 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Cutepet87 said…
I feel that way sometimes, although more often animes than the characters in them. It's probably natural, just some people feel that way more than others. Don't think you're wierd or anything, though. It's nothing to feel guilty about. ^.^
I feel that way sometimes,  although more often animes than the characters in them. It's probably nat
over a year ago SweetMoonlight said…
smile
I really get obsessed and fall in love with certain characters as well. Sometimes we just feel deeper connections to some more than others, just like we do with people in general. I don't think you are any stranger than I am with all of my anime crushes (at least yours has eyebrows and doesn't have a tattoo on their face). As long as you aren't letting it hold you back from enjoying the life in front of you and it isn't hurting others, I say it is no big deal.

And I don't think it makes you strange from a my point of view. I think it's good when guys are honest about what they like, it's better than holding it in. But I understand what you mean, I have only let a few people I know in real life about which characters I have crushes on. Sometimes it is hard for people to understand, especially if they don't watch anime themselves.

Btw, I liked the Uk dub better as well.
last edited over a year ago
I really get obsessed and fall in love with certain characters as well. Sometimes we just feel deeper