Alan Rickman Have you faced any disparaging remarks about your appreciation of Alan Rickman?

karenmiller1972 posted on Feb 20, 2012 at 05:01PM
So, background is, I'm over 35 years old. And I still find people looking at me disparagingly or making really disturbing comments about Alan Rickman when I mention my admiration of him.
Most comments deal with his age, some specifically with age difference in mine and his (I'm confused as to why this is bothering someone as I'm not a spring chicken here, LOL), and just a few with his character choices.

I've recently had to work through a bad situation that was made worse by some callous neophyte that I'm beginning to believe only lives & thrives by starting drama. Sorry, I already vented on LiveJournal, I'll cut the rant off. I'm just concerned about if anyone else has had to face this and to what degree. And how did you deal with it?

How many of you have had remarks made, or had to defend your fandom, and was is a random stranger or someone close, RL or online, and what aspect of your fandom did this person choose to attack?

Alan Rickman 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago waimea said…
cool
Not so much attack (my people are not that brave). It's the eye rolling that annoys me. But I don't feel I have to defend my feelings, nor should you. Just because we are more 'enlightened', doesn't mean we should pay attention to those who are not!

Not anything to defend anyway - just admiration for a wonderfully talented, morally upstanding (might I add gorgeous) thespian.
over a year ago Rowangorn said…
smile
That is a excellent answer waimea. I agree.
over a year ago Ms_Mesmer1 said…
meh
My sister doesn't get why I like him. She's only seen him in a few of the Potter films ( not the last one) and she told me she thinks he's evil. I told her that he's just acting and that I've heard that he's actually a very nice person in real life. She just says "Whatever". )-:
kerouac4 commented…
wtf why would anyone think someone is a certain way because of a CHARACTER they play. And obviously she hasn't read or seen the last one because as we all know..he's not even evil anyway. O_O Making judgements on an actor based on a fictional character is bogus to me. over a year ago
over a year ago rickmaniac12 said…
sad
My friends call him an old man and i feel like i wanna cry...
kerouac4 commented…
You shouldn't take it so seriously. THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND. over a year ago
over a year ago squidvicious78 said…
sad
my brother and sister tried to make me feel embarrassed about it. I don't know why. I love Alan Rickman. He is so talented and unique and sexy
over a year ago iyanna_rickman said…
Those who don't agree with our fandom are the ones who don't know Mr. Alan Sydney Patrick Rickman!
over a year ago kerouac4 said…
No because my family is as crazy as me. As for my friends, when I post incessantly on FB the non-fans just ignore me.