Air Travel Flight Etiquette

DrDevience posted on Aug 20, 2007 at 06:52AM
Usually, people are pretty easy to fly with. They bring books, magazine, what have you. Things to keep themselves occupied.

But once in awhile you get a goober who laughs at the top of his lungs through an entire movie, or looks at your screen and can't stand not telling you how it turns out... gripes the entire flight...

I could go on forever.

I guess my question is: What is your top pet peeve when flying?

Air Travel 8 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
People asking what I am playing on (as I try and play on my DS on flights) and then either trying to talk more to me about it, or just dissing on said game. :-/
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Oh good one. That irks me no-end also.
over a year ago harold said…
Here's some, in no particular order, taken from flights I've had over the years:

* People falling asleep on me.

* People having to get up to use the restroom many times per flight (this is a problem for me because I always get an aisle seat for my long legs).

* People reaching up to play with my overhead light/air controls in an attempt to focus them on themselves.

* People in the next row back kicking my seat, or whacking it when they get out and return to their seats.

* (Expanding on PkmnTrainerJ's item): Trying to talk to me through the whole flight.

* People ignoring the flight attendants or disregarding them (especially by talking on cell phones during takeoff prep, which delays the entire flight).

* People leaping into the aisle as soon as the flight lands, but then spending ten minutes to get their luggage out of the overhead compartments (if you've got carry-on luggage to unload, let some of the people who are ready to leave go past first!)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago cressida said…
When people put their overhead luggage in bins several rows behind them, and then as people stand up to exit the airplane, try to squeeze past them to retrieve it. ARG!
On a flight from Melbourne to Hong Kong, I once had a kid ask me for my email address so he could send me links to his music... he had saw me writing articles.

Ugh that ticked me off. Offer your email if you like, but asking for someone else's is just rude.

Of course, this was the same kid who kept waking everyone up with his loud laughing during a movie or two also.
over a year ago Sunflower said…
That's quite a list, Harold! But I still have a couple to add:

I once sat next to a gentleman all the way from London to Johannesburg who had obviously not washed for days. Urgh!

Once, crossing the Atlantic, this man who sat right behind me had a nervous cough. Every 5 or 6 seconds he would clear his throat. In 10 minutes I was prepared to find a parachute ;)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago czechgurl said…
I have to many to list and agree with most of you on yours but my all time pet peeve is when someone gets on the plane and is deathly sick. Yacking without covering their mouth, sneezzing and spreading airborn germs throughout an airtight tin box.
Oh my yes... I agree with that one.